TOM

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The reason i can tell its a 5K head is number 1 and number 4 have a notch under the spark plug hole....only the 5k head has those notches
That's awesome man thankyou very much! I'll be interested to find out compression ratio etc after i put it in...

hahah - Jug - Side draft. You have 1 Side draft, you need another jug ! hahha.

Haha yeah two is much better i would imagine... I don't know much about webers - are these commonly used on K series motors? Are they a decent carby?

The guy has just had the carby rebuilt and re-jetted for this motor, and the dyno tune was quite recent. It had an awesome growl, plenty of induction noise and felt good at high revs although the car (a track car KE30 getting a 4AGE) the motor was in didn't have a tacho, so i'm not sure how high i revved it...

Anyway this will be my first KE rolla with more than an exhaust and my first 5-speed KE - I'm already grinning my arse off but i'll be absolutely ear-to-ear in a couple months when motor/lower/whitewalls are done...

Ooh Update!! I asked my mate today (he's got a couple killer HB Torana's and he's doing up an LC GTR) "How many cartons of beer would i have to buy you to help me do the bodywork and practice your spray painting skills on my car before you do the GTR?"

His answer: "Mate I'd do it for the pleasure of it". So this is on the cards in the next 6-8 months... Awesome :)

Edited by TOM

Hi,

Nice car will be a nice economical car that gets up and boggies. Also nice score on cheap paint work fingers crossed for you.

Also just a note Xany 4K dished piston motors had the raised do dads under spark plug 1 and 4 so it could be a 4K dished piston head. But your still right not a 3K head as 3K were never dished to my knowledge well at least big port heads weren't. So could be a 4/5K dished piston head.

Cameron

thats a nice power curve on the dyno. u keeping the 5K for ever or u got plans to drop in somthing with a bit more power later on?

Thanks man, yeah it should be good fun!

Might get some twin jugs for it depending on how strong the motor actually is, but as i've said it's a UNI student car so budget is very low...

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so i've taken the 5K stuff off my post, unfortunately the tax system is screwed and my accountant didn't see it coming.

I've now got a $850 tax bill and he told me i was getting a return of roughly the same amount. :D :D

So no more 5K.... for now

Still on the cards are cut springs as soon as we get a spare couple hours... then whitewalls straight after that

Gotta get rid of that rust in the boot - left it out in the rain last night and there was shitloads of water in the boot :D

So i'll probably just slowly fix little dents, rust spots (not much to do!) and surface rust patches over the next few months then look forward to a respray early next year.

Will put pics up as soon as shit happens...

To get me and others motivated, here are some of my old rollas just for fun....

Missing KE36 wagon, KE70 wagon and AE101R

First car - KE11 for $325, did a great deal of burnouts and rally driving (grew up in the Barossa VAlley) It's probably still around somewhere is SA...

post-1424-1192155418.jpg

post-1424-1192155526.jpg

My $200 KE20, also good for many burnout and rally drives. Found out yesterday it's still in my name which is wierd - sold it in 2001!!!

post-1424-1192155665_thumb.jpg

$50 KE70 from my cousin - I've got a set of these 14" 200B wheels which i got for free! Still kickin i hope!!

post-1424-1192155316.jpg

My 100kw SX Seca - fun while it lasted but it wasn't no KE... Would have had a rebuild by now - rings were f@$ked when i sold it

post-1424-1192155899.jpg

My sorely missed KE11 got smashed up the arse by a government car after an 18 month rebuild. Kinda lost interest for a while after that... Currently sitting in some dudes shed all smashed up with some amazingly good parts on it... Also my briefly owned Mazda Capella in the background!

post-1424-1192156065.jpg

post-1424-1192156097.jpg

And one more of the new beast...

post-1424-1192156156_thumb.jpg

Wish i still had all of them.....

Edited by TOM

Couldn't stand those white wheels so got busy today and painted them up...

Also two new matching headlights, thanks Nickboy!

Also polished chrome trims and centre caps (they look kinda cool even though they're monstrously large!),

painted wiper blades, calipers, brake drums, grill badge...

Goin for that factory sleeper look for the time being, cut springs and whitewalls should see to that!!

Should've washed it before i painted the wheels...

post-1424-1192264483_thumb.jpg

post-1424-1192264508_thumb.jpg

post-1424-1192264541_thumb.jpg

post-1424-1192264595_thumb.jpg

Sweet...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Haha cheers man yeah i'm getting used to the blue, it's grown on me...

Ok so I'm on Uni holidays now so hopefully i can start on this thing properly!

I had my mechanic look at uni joints, centre bearing etc - I've got vibrations in 1st and 2nd gear which are worse when it's loaded up with stuff or people... and some backlash somewhere which is annoying me... He said the uni's were all ok, centre bearing was ok and diff backlash was normal and not excessive or too noisy.

Then when we were doing the tappets the other day I gave the motor a wobble to find out that i possibly have a weak or broken engine mount - it moves towards the passenger side quite a bit by just lifting from the dizzy side. I'm pretty sure this is part of the problem but not sure if this would cause vibrations though?

Other than that the timing chain is very rattly on startup...cut springs and old shockers are very bumpy and annoying for sliding...clutch feels old and near-death.

It's had a polish, some new gearbox and diff oil, brakes bled, interior tidying and thats about it...

Want to get the air-con re-gassed soon to see if it still works.

Then it's time for suspension rebuild, rebuild the 4K or buy one already done, and do the body in-between...

oh and i finally degreased the engine bay...

post-1424-1197704617_thumb.jpg

and the shadow on my back seat of the essential addition to any rolla...

post-1424-1197704920_thumb.jpg

Hopefully lots more to come soon

Edited by TOM