Rotary Conversion In A Ke10

Sim

Hey guys, iv been thinking awhile about what car i want for a project. iv gotten as far as wanting a rotary and have been looking at several mazdas, but havn't really found anything that catches my eye. iv come across a dead stock KE10, which iv always loved and its a perfect base to start from.

my question is what would be involved in dropping a 13B into one of these? what sort of trans/diff combo would be suitable? as i doubt the standard KE diff would beable to cope for long.

thanks for any assistance.

Members dont see this ad
Hey guys, iv been thinking awhile about what car i want for a project. iv gotten as far as wanting a rotary and have been looking at several mazdas, but havn't really found anything that catches my eye. iv come across a dead stock KE10, which iv always loved and its a perfect base to start from.

my question is what would be involved in dropping a 13B into one of these? what sort of trans/diff combo would be suitable? as i doubt the standard KE diff would beable to cope for long.

thanks for any assistance.

This isn't Ausrotary.com

it wouldn't be legal or it would take alot of work to get any where near legal, Ring an engineer and find out for sure.

don't know how a 13b would fit but I'm doing a 12a turbo into mine (in NZ is all legal). currently using a cosmo gear box for strength but its a bit long.I have talked to some people and they have recommended a W series supra gear box and custom adapter. either way the gear box tunnel and firewall have to be played with.

I'm using the front mounts on the engine to mount to my ke10 and welding mounts to the chassis rails

I'm going to go f series corona diff and looking into a custom front brake setup. don't know what yet.

my brake master cylinder gets in the way and so exhaust setup is a bit of a pain.

A 13B into a KE30 is illegal in VIC. So it would be illegal in a KE10 too.

I have an appointment with an engineer Friday week to discuss a 12A N/A into my KE30. Hopefully it will be legal, as I only have his word that its quite possible. Nothing on paper just yet.

Your best bet would be to call an approved VASS which can be found on the vicroads website.

A 13B into a KE30 is illegal in VIC. So it would be illegal in a KE10 too.

I have an appointment with an engineer Friday week to discuss a 12A N/A into my KE30. Hopefully it will be legal, as I only have his word that its quite possible. Nothing on paper just yet.

Your best bet would be to call an approved VASS which can be found on the vicroads website.

nothing wrong with the humble 12A, get it engineered witha stock motor then go big port. Bridgy or PP with a weber or injection would absolutely hammer in a KE30

• 2 weeks later...
thanks for the info guys. yeah I'm tossing up whether to go 12A or 13B. a monster bridgey in a little ke10 would be the last thing you'd expect haha.

I don't think the 13b will be legal mate, you might have to ring the RTA.

I know they are cracking down bigtime on the rx3's that have 13B turbo's in them, even if they are engineered.

Alot of the Ausrotor boys have been done, inspectors come knocking at the front door :)

I don't think the 13b will be legal mate, you might have to ring the RTA.

I know they are cracking down bigtime on the rx3's that have 13B turbo's in them, even if they are engineered.

Alot of the Ausrotor boys have been done, inspectors come knocking at the front door :)

I think they are "cracking down" on everything in your states. You could do a rotary conversion in Tassie, as long as you don't run it out of rego and have some sort of muffler on it and just say "the choke is stuck on officer"... lol