Doin A 13bt Conversion.!

Rockn Rolla

Members dont see this ad

S4/5 engines are probably the easiest, but Cosmo or S6 13BT's can be made to fit as well, it just means a bit more fab work

Get a S4/5 13BT block, change the front cover to a 12AT one and the sump to a early 13B sump and the rest is fairly straight forward. Use the S4/5 turbo gearbox as well (or a supra box) otherwise you will find that you will be replacing box every week

Custom:

engine mounts+Xmember

g/box mounts+Xmember

new tailshaft will need to be made

diff upgrade

fuel set-up upgrade

and don't forget suspension and brakes :lolcry:

For reliability you are better of starting with factory turbo 13B (i.e. the ones i listed above) as they have a lower compression ratio to suit boosted applications. As well as better oil/coolant lubrication throughtout the block. Many people have successfully turbo NA blocks, but due to the higher compression ratios care need to be taken with tuning and amount of boost used. starting with a turbo block leave far me apportunity to upgrade all "bolt-on accessaries" later done the track when you feel the need for more power.

Ryan

Fantastic option for a drag car but no way will you get it engineered so check first. S5 0r S6 don,t front mount it cos they twist and crack the rear housing. also can get very expensive but the results are awesome, ca18 will go harder than you want and be legal, fitting a s5 box in a ke20 tunnel may give you headaches they,re huge

Edited by curly

Hi I currently have a ke11 and I'm going for a 13bt conversion...

Just wondering what peoples opinions are on what series engine is

best for reliability and performance?

i was thinking s4 or s5...

cheers, bj :lolcry:

Sorry to be the one to burst your bubble, but the conversion is illegal. I doubt an engineer would allow it and Vicroads would certainly not even give you the time of day without engineers approval.

I had a meeting with an Engineer on Friday. A 13B N/A is not possible into a KE30....let alone a 13BT. Therefor there is buckleys chance of a 13B being legal in a lighter KE11.

I have been given the green light for a 12A conversion into my KE30. I think a 12A would be more a more likely option for you.

However, i suggest you call a VASS before you even start thinking of what engine to graft into your car.

If you plan to be one of these fools that does a conversion without the proper paperwork, then i hope for your sake that you don't smash into anyone because your insurance will be null and void.

Edited by kangaroosa

the few KE1X rotar convesion I've seen have all not been pretty. Huge trans tunnel mods (eg compltely cut out.)

Having driven a few KE2X 13B NA rollas I can say with confidance, spend your entire budget on better suspension and brakes. On a twisting road with a 1100cc K motor you'll go faster.

But if you've got your heart set. be prepaird for a long involved and costly process.

If you don't have $5000 in your bank account right now don't even bother.

Jordan

Also Just thinking, since the KE 10/11's have about a 25L fuel tank I wouldn't expect to see any more than say 170kilometres (max) a tank. hope you enjoy filling up :)

Edited by Jordan

S5 0r S6 don,t front mount it cos they twist and crack the rear housing.

Where did you get that info from? cause it's a load of shit. series 4 are the only ones that have issues with cracking rear plates, wether they are side or front mount it makes no difference. there are cars getting around with 400-500+ rwkw with front mounted engines that have no problems and I am yet to hear of anyone cracking a plate due to front mounting the engine.

Sorry to be the one to burst your bubble, but the conversion is illegal.

Well excUUUUUUse ME!

Just relax a bit champ, BJ never said anything about rego....Drag car build maybe?

I'm with u BJ, go 13b turbo...but keep it off the street, he's right about insurance...

i'd go 13bt in my '20...but i want to be able to drive it on the street...

that car will be an animal...i can imagine it to be something like a ride in a VW beetle with a Jet Engine...

Good luck with it BJ, and be sure to post pics...

cheers,

Marky Mark & the funky bunch...