"lazarust", Bitten Off More Than I Can Chew?

machg

Definitely gonna need a MIG me thinks...

image000eu7.jpg

Not too bad from a distance, 1 of 5 or 6 in OZ?

image001uc3.jpg

Fabrication definitely required

image002ox8.jpg

Factory air-conditioning...NOT!

image003xc4.jpg

Japanese for "rusty"?

image004xv5.jpg

Back end looks much like OZ T18, maybe easiest to cut the whole arse off and weld on T18 metal?

image005xp8.jpg

It says "LEVIN", I guess that means I'm O.K. to post on a corolla forum. :wink: Hatch is thankfully relatively rust free, otherwise I would be boned...

Oh yeah, can't start work just yet, still at previous owners place, waiting for engine to be pulled.

Someone wish me luck, I am gonna need it.

Edited by machg

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Registered? ROFLMAO, track/drift pig if its lucky. I will hopefully get papers which would allow registration in the future, but the amount of farting around with little shitty things for rego. would send me insane.

Edited by machg

Thats repairable step 1 is to look around for some old dented up panels bonnets, doors ect

get some of these,

http://www.toolbarn.com/product/bosch/2610917944/

mark out some neat squares and triangles on the old panels then practice cutting out the shapes neatly.

step 2 will be to fabricate a few patch's for the holes you have cut out. you need to find some 0.8mm steel sheet to practice making patch's. find a sheet metal fabricator they will sell offcuts for beer money.

Thats repairable step 1 is to look around for some old dented up panels bonnets, doors ect

get some of these,

http://www.toolbarn.com/product/bosch/2610917944/

mark out some neat squares and triangles on the old panels then practice cutting out the shapes neatly.

step 2 will be to fabricate a few patch's for the holes you have cut out. you need to find some 0.8mm steel sheet to practice making patch's. find a sheet metal fabricator they will sell offcuts for beer money.

I have donor car...

image158nv7.jpg

...but will practice before I start cutting her up.

Going to attempt DIY rwd 4age intake manifold, what sort of metal is a 4age manifold, alloy? What sort of alloy? (for getting welded)

Budget? LOL, have spent $216.50 so far, including the car, wife nearly killed me, "You what? bought another car..."

Edited by machg

Going to attempt DIY rwd 4age intake manifold, what sort of metal is a 4age manifold, alloy? What sort of alloy? (for getting welded)

aluminum can have all sorts of additives, Beryllium to make it strong/ hard or silicon to make it cast smoother or even magnesium. It is best welded with a tig welder, some aluminum has high content of additives makes it hard to weld.

Started basic engine prep. today...

fwd bigport manifold + 57mm hole saw = hope I don't f--- this up

image000bv0.jpg

doesn't look too bad...also removed long studs on the opposite end, "two nuts" ftw, will see why shortly.

image001tn0.jpg

anything to stop welding the throttle body straight onto the manifold? (Will get pro to do it.)

Edited by machg

Just wondering, whats the driveline your gonna run? Obviously ae82 4age once the conversion is done, and I'm guessing a T50 would be the logical option, and what diff does it have? What was the old motor? 4k?, 2t?. No too familiar with those. Is it a te70?

Also, what can you use panel wise from an ae82 seca? Are you just gonna use it as raw sheetmetal? Or are some of the pressings the same?

Edited by LittleRedSpirit

Just wondering, whats the driveline your gonna run? Obviously ae82 4age once the conversion is done, and I'm guessing a T50 would be the logical option, and what diff does it have? What was the old motor? 4k?, 2t?. No too familiar with those. Is it a te70?

Also, what can you use panel wise from an ae82 seca? Are you just gonna use it as raw sheetmetal? Or are some of the pressings the same?

Driveline will (eventually) be 7age, T50, I think its got a ke70 diff. I guess once the body is made O.K. and I can get some $$$ together, I'll chase an AE71 wreck (for obvious reasons). Old engine was a 3TEU (I think) model designation is TE71.

Welding throttle body direct would be extremely difficult, parts of the mating surface would be inaccessible with a welder.

Driveline will (eventually) be 7age, T50, I think its got a ke70 diff. I guess once the body is made O.K. and I can get some $$$ together, I'll chase an AE71 wreck (for obvious reasons). Old engine was a 3TEU (I think) model designation is TE71.

Welding throttle body direct would be extremely difficult, parts of the mating surface would be inaccessible with a welder.

Have a good look at the diff, if it was Australian delivered your car may have a diff like our ke70s, except I don't think its an Australian delivered model. Ive seen those in Europe and Japan only so far. So you never know, have a good look at the diff and see what the axle code is on the compliance plate.