Fiberglass Guards & Bonnets

Mickoolz

Hey guys I'm curious to know if it's illegal to have fibreglass guards and/or bonnet on a registered car?

I've heard off a friend that it may be illegal?

I was thinking about making some moulds of front guards and bonnet for a ke30 - 55 and making them in carbon fibre or fibreglass. This will be a long term project since I don't have full resources at the moment but I'm moving towards getting myself setup.

Will this be of interest to anyone? If I get enough interest I may make them available to all. As I said it will be a long term project as I don't have full resources yet.

Edited by Mickoolz

Members dont see this ad
i was going to do this on my cordia but its illegal as the fibreglass splinters in the event of a crash and isnt safe for pedestrians and stuff like that. still you can do it for a "track" car if you really want, just like I am doing for my "track" corolla :wink:

Thanks for the info, how did you find this out? What about a carbon fibre bonnet I see alot of Skylines, Lasers and pulsars on the road with them these days, would this be illegal or where would I find out?

I helped a mate make a mould for his celica, bonnet and guards in one peice, for the speedway so Its ok for them to use but is there restrictions using fibreglass parts on the track?

I'm studying engineering at adelaide and one of my older mates graduated last year and does certificates here in sa, he was the one who told me. he said you can get away with it if you have a certificate but there are alot of regulations to abide by. I'm not sure about carbon fibre though as I'm sure it has different fracture properties to fibreglass. ring up the rta and find out from them, best bet cos i know in sa its a no no, but still, doesnt really stop people from doing it, and if your car is all painted up, how will anyone ever know?

I'm studying engineering at adelaide and one of my older mates graduated last year and does certificates here in sa, he was the one who told me. he said you can get away with it if you have a certificate but there are alot of regulations to abide by. I'm not sure about carbon fibre though as I'm sure it has different fracture properties to fibreglass. ring up the rta and find out from them, best bet cos i know in sa its a no no, but still, doesnt really stop people from doing it, and if your car is all painted up, how will anyone ever know?

Ok cool, Carbon fibre is defiantely more flexible and stronger but costly :wink: thanks heaps for the info. I will look into.

Carbon doesn't shatter like fibre, thats probably why you're allowed Carbon bonnets. But what about fibre hornet scoops!!! :wink:

Mate actually had a carbon bonnet on his silvia, which flew up and hit the roof at 100kmh+, absolutely f@$ked the roof and hinges, but the bonnet held up to it pretty well, only really cracked the resin a bit!!

• 4 months later...
Thanks for the info, how did you find this out? What about a carbon fibre bonnet I see alot of Skylines, Lasers and pulsars on the road with them these days, would this be illegal or where would I find out?

I helped a mate make a mould for his celica, bonnet and guards in one peice, for the speedway so Its ok for them to use but is there restrictions using fibreglass parts on the track?

this link should set everybody straight.....it was given to me buy the engineers at VicRoads.

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/saf...ns_3Feb2006.pdf

Not sure on the fibreglass stuff (but allot of aftermarket body kits are made of fibregalss), but most Carbon Fibre bonnets are illegal. It's very rare (and expensive) to find an ADR approved carbon fibre bonnet. The reason they aren't legal is that in an event of a crash they don't bent and buckle like normal bonnets, but rather have the tendency to rip off the hinges and slide through the windshield.