Piston Suppliers For 4 & 5k

dobsy

Members dont see this ad

79 is the TRD size, 5K are 80.5. I am going to bore a spare block to see if the 80's will work but if I can get 79's I won't need to do that. It's in a KP61 Starlet & only for road & car club stuff so cast would be ok but forged is better.

I have managed to get all the TRD spec's for the 4k, port shapes, chamber volumes , cam profiles. Bob Holmwood has lent me them. His one made 140hp at 9200rpm in the late 70's. If I tame her down 110 would do me. Also have 35mm cv carbs of a Suzuki GSXR1100 set up for her. I got sick of the Dellortos & sold them.

What pistons do most people use in Aus?

sounds good, we use forged pistons in the rally car, but have in the pass used cast ones with some interesting results.

Toyota make the best cast pistons, they'll handle high rpm(up to 7500-8000) most of the time.

The TRD info you speak of is on rollaclub somewhere, i have the spec's here as well.

it's a good read, interesting to see how they done it back then.

Redwarf could be someone to talk to about pistons, i think he use to run Charade ones in his 4k.

not sure of the size though.

there was a guy in Timaru (where i come from) called Warren Burt, he was into his k engines he may know of some.

think his business was called Warren Burt motors.

he had a kp60 that done 136mph over the flying quarter, it was 1300cc.

• 2 weeks later...
Give Segetons / STA parts a ring They got me 1.5mm oversize ACL pistons with rings etc for $140 + GST. Not bad IMO.

Edit: Also try oldschool.co.nz as a local place to buy things.

Thanks for the help guys.

I have found out that the 4k van & car blocks are the same & it's the forklift blocks that have the thicker castings. I am looking for 1 to conferm this but it came from a very reliable sorce.

Dobsy

Thanks for the help guys.

I have found out that the 4k van & car blocks are the same & it's the forklift blocks that have the thicker castings. I am looking for 1 to conferm this but it came from a very reliable sorce.

Dobsy

I have also heard of that the forklift blocks have thicker castings as well, though I am no 100% sure.

I am also looking for some too, was going to re-look up this thread too. Mate, would you be able to send me those specs on the 4k if you don't mind? Also, if you find a place to supply those pistons maybe could you let me know too?

this may be a silly question... but... has anyone tried using the 12R flat tops in a 5K?

they're the same bore, close on the pin height, and a 2mm larger diameter pin... being from a similar era motor, there's a very tiny possibility of getting away with another Toyota factory rod and some creative crank grinding...

Edited by FIL