Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

4a-ge Quote

Featured Replies

Hey. I rang up some wreckers to see if I could find a 4A-GE engine. I found a guy that says he can get one in with the gearbox, computer and everything so I could drop it into a KE70 for $2000. Just wondering if this is a typical price?

  • Replies 42
  • Views 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

seems a bit expensive. what 4age is it? when you say "everything to drop it into a ke70" : does he include tailshaft, mounts, cross member, fuel pump etc.

to make up $2000 you could pay:

gearbox: $700

computer/loom: $400 (what SSS automotive charged for a loom and ECU)

complete motor: $900

 

if it just includes these bits it seems expensive but it could all be really good stuff.

 

if it has EVERYTHING you need for the conversion then its an ok price, considering it would all just bolt in.

  • Author
seems a bit expensive. what 4age is it? when you say "everything to drop it into a ke70" : does he include tailshaft, mounts, cross member, fuel pump etc.

to make up $2000 you could pay:

gearbox: $700

computer/loom: $400 (what SSS automotive charged for a loom and ECU)

complete motor: $900

 

if it just includes these bits it seems expensive but it could all be really good stuff.

 

if it has EVERYTHING you need for the conversion then its an ok price, considering it would all just bolt in.

Thanks for the reply. I'm waiting on his call back so I can ask him then and get straight back to you.

 

Ok I ended up calling him. I don't know about the tailshaft, mounts, cross member, fuel pump because I forgot to ask :hmm: But the gearbox, computer/loom and motor are all there... I don't know shit about this kinda stuff so I'm just making sure I don't get ripped off, you know?

 

Another edit: I spoke to the guy a bit more and he said that he can get the engine put in and all the wiring and efi and tailshaft done for an extra $2500. Considering I'd be f^%^ed if I tried to do it on my own, is this a good price? Basically $4500 for the whole 4A-GE conversion all done for me, all I need is the KE70 (which I will soon have).

Edited by Mybowlcut

If I were you Id want to do it myself, so that I learn enough skills to save thousands of dollars in mechanics fees over my lifetime. Thats one of the main reasons I started building my Rolla!

 

If you want to persist with the mechanic route, then get a few quotes at least. You'll be amazed how they vary, and make sure you point out that they will need to use the list of parts Ive given you, so that unnecessary fabrication isnt done at your expense.

 

The smartest thing would be to find all the parts yourself for as little money as possible, then hand it all to him at the end and say, make me a car!!! You never know, you may feel confident enough by that time to put the motor in yourself, even if you don't wire it up. Most of it is really easy, its just fuel systems and wiring which are a pain, in my opinion.

 

If you use a wrecker motor then make sure its a keeper or it gets a freshen up, ok.

 

Good luck, champ.

For that price I'd want at least a 2L twincam in it..

 

You could probably score a corolla with a 4AGE already in it for that price..

 

But if you can justify the money then go for it..

You could probably score a corolla with a 4AGE already in it for that price..

 

 

Good point!!!

 

If I had 4500 to blow on a motor then Brisbane Motor Imports has a RWD Beams 3sge for 5k, with gearbox, loom, ecu and extractors.

 

Its a big pain to install and installing it would run to 3000 dollars but it puts into perspective what you can get for the money, you know.

 

 

Three letters,

 

D - I - Y !!!

  • Author
If I were you Id want to do it myself, so that I learn enough skills to save thousands of dollars in mechanics fees over my lifetime. Thats one of the main reasons I started building my Rolla!

 

If you want to persist with the mechanic route, then get a few quotes at least. You'll be amazed how they vary, and make sure you point out that they will need to use the list of parts Ive given you, so that unnecessary fabrication isnt done at your expense.

 

The smartest thing would be to find all the parts yourself for as little money as possible, then hand it all to him at the end and say, make me a car!!! You never know, you may feel confident enough by that time to put the motor in yourself, even if you don't wire it up. Most of it is really easy, its just fuel systems and wiring which are a pain, in my opinion.

 

If you use a wrecker motor then make sure its a keeper or it gets a freshen up, ok.

 

Good luck, champ.

Cheers for the help, hey! I'm very tempted to try and do it myself... I'm just worried about all the shit that can go wrong like dodgy parts, not knowing what goes where, not having an engine crane or correct tools, etc. I'm also interested in becoming more mechanically adept, but I don't want it to become an unfinished project that never goes anywhere at the same time... Ahhh... so confused!

 

I'm hoping the engine will be fine cause apparently they get them in regularly? :hmm:

 

 

For that price I'd want at least a 2L twincam in it..

 

You could probably score a corolla with a 4AGE already in it for that price..

 

But if you can justify the money then go for it..

I can justify the 2 grand, just not the 2500. It seems a bit much.. The KE70 that I'm about to buy is in awesome condition though and it's at a pretty good price, that's the reason I'm not buying one with a 4AGE already in it.

id say a rwd 4ag halfcut with driveline would drop into an ae71,

as for a fwd 4ag dropping into a ke70, it wont happen without being

massaged by a few thousand dollars.

if you're not too keen on the tools or don't have any then go buy a ke70, ae71 or

ae86 with a 4ag in and running. much cheaper for sure! it will have its own issues

as most modified cars do but 99% of the work is done.

  • Author
if you're not too keen on the tools or don't have any then go buy a ke70, ae71 or

ae86 with a 4ag in and running. much cheaper for sure! it will have its own issues

as most modified cars do but 99% of the work is done.

Hm... but the KE70 that I'm looking at buying is in basically perfect condition... Do you know of any KE70's with a 4AGE for sale?

4ages go for around 800 - 1400 depending on condition thats for a whole package

 

as for instalation diy best way to learn aslong as u got a couple of mates helpn u out it should be easy

 

the only thing u shouldnt do ur self is the wiring but uts pretty cheap $250

 

look on ae86dc heaps of 4age ketos

  • Author

That's just it though, I don't have any mates helping me. It'd be all me. I have more or less no knowledge of engine parts except for the basic stuff. I'm thinking about just getting all the parts and then taking it to a mechanic so he can't jip me like redspirit suggested.

Deleted

Edited by Sbox

  • Author
It is not going to drop straight in to a ke70, unless he has made custom mounts for you. I have an Ae71 (basically a ke70 but it came with a 4ac 1600 engine, so the 4age does bolt straight up) and I just paid $1600 for the engine, rebuilt T50 g/box,loom and ecu. All the cooling system set up to use my original radiator, plug and play apart from the fuel system. Which, as I bought brand new pumps and surge tank cost around $475.

Check it all out a bit more mate, or you will waste a shitload of money. Have seen Ae71 and modded ke70, with 4age registered for $4000. Shmick looking too.

I'll take your advice and take it slow with the whole 4AGE thing, but I can't bring myself to not buy this KE70, though. It's just in such great condition... Do you have the link for the modded ke70 or ae71?

Edited by Mybowlcut

Hey mate,

 

Ill join with the common sentiment of the replies on this thread - $2000 does sound a bit much for what you are getting.

 

I purchased my 100kw 4age from Ichiban Imports in Sydney, plus wiring loom, sensors and computer for $1250.

 

The engine I got is in overrated condition and has a guaranteed 76 000 km on it.

 

I got my T-50 gearbox for $250, private sale, but they are becoming pretty hard to get without a lot of looking around.

 

I did do a lot of checking around and you can get 4age engines, depending on their condition, from about $500 bucks for a decent one.

 

In regard to doing the conversion, there is an absolute shiteload of information out there on how to do it, just make friends with google.

 

Be wary that there are a heap of hidden things and additional parts that you will need but I would say go for it, do your research and do it yourself.

 

If you start frequenting this site you will find out all you need to know, and most likely find someone to help you.

 

Good Luck!

 

Davros

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.