'03 Sportivo

natedog11six

Hi Everyone.

I recently bought an '03 Corolla Sportivo.

It's has the 2ZZ-GE engine, which is the same as the latest Celica uses.

Also has the same 6 speed manual gear box.

Has anyone else got a Corolla Sportivo and has made some modifications to the engine or whatever?

Tell me what you guys think about the Sportivo's, and possibilites for mods.

I attached some photos as well. :hmm:

post-5106-1201670967_thumb.jpg

post-5106-1201670992_thumb.jpg

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice choice of car! I own an 03 model sportivo aswell. http://trdsales.toyota.co.nz is the site where u can find aftermarket parts for sportivos including the TRD cold air intake system.All the parts on that site are available in Australia. If you have any questions i will be happy to help you out...

That's awesome. Have you done anything to your Sportivo, or got any photos.

I'm new to all of this and am still learning where to find things and stuff.

Thanks for your help.

I hope it doesn't empty your pocket. Well, maybe your lucky and its still in warranty?

Really, they are a poorly put together car, with bad quality problems throughout. Made in South Africa,( the Durban plant ) Here lyes the start of the problem(s).

The interiors are somewhat comfortable, yet pretty dodgie around the edges. The leather isnt very good, the stitching is often uneven and un-finished at the edges; seems come apart. Front seats usually have excessive base play. Dash faces are generally better fitting that the Japanese ones (go figure), but the plastic compounds or something are different, as the south African corollas appear to fade more so than the jap ones.

They have more squeaks and rattles than a 20 yr old tarago.

The brakes are good in stopping terms, but don't expect to keep a set of pads and rotors more than 20 to 30,000 kms. Note, the Brake fluid is DOT 4 not DOT 3. Motors are locally built in South Africa. I'm not sure if the exhausts are different, or if its a lack of / different type(s) of sound deading, but all ZZE***'s in the JDM and SA range are horribly noisy. Road noise is bad, engine noise is loud, exhaust tone is raspy and annoying. Although the second set of lobes kicking in sounds cool.. even if the gearbox matched to the motor.. isnt really matched at all.

Ratios Verse Australian Speed limits = shithouse.

Gearbox's generally have alot of rollover bearing noise, the clutches generally feel light and unresponsive. Its a vehicle charastic.

don't do burnouts, The CV's are not very strong. don't ever miss a shift, they are a tight working motor; it doesnt take much to stretch a piston or 2. I'm not sure how strong the internals are on one of these.

Check the panel gaps over the car, maybe you have a good one, maybe you don't. Make it noted, the JDM and SA panels are totally different. *wink*

Struts are leaky, and ive seen a few of them with saged springs. And noisy bearing top plates. And leaking powersteering racks. And timing case leaks. And creaking suspension. lol, ive even see one with the rod hanging out the front of the block.

I hope for your sake you sell it. Because if you don't, sure it might be nice atm, but they are NOT a keeper car. if it lasts more than 3 years, its a positive. Because they don't even appear to be be designed to last that long..

Vote 1 = Sell

I hope it doesn't empty your pocket. Well, maybe your lucky and its still in warranty?

Really, they are a poorly put together car, with bad quality problems throughout. Made in South Africa,( the Durban plant ) Here lyes the start of the problem(s).

The interiors are somewhat comfortable, yet pretty dodgie around the edges. The leather isnt very good, the stitching is often uneven and un-finished at the edges; seems come apart. Front seats usually have excessive base play. Dash faces are generally better fitting that the Japanese ones (go figure), but the plastic compounds or something are different, as the south African corollas appear to fade more so than the jap ones.

The brakes are good in stopping terms, but don't expect to keep a set of pads and rotors more than 20 to 30,000 kms. Note, the Brake fluid is DOT 4 not DOT 3. Motors are locally built in South Africa. I'm not sure if the exhausts are different, or if its a lack of / different type(s) of sound deading, but all ZZE***'s in the JDM and SA range are horribly noisy. Road noise is bad, engine noise is loud, exhaust tone is raspy and annoying. Although the second set of lobes kicking in sounds cool.. even if the gearbox matched to the motor.. isnt really matched at all.

Gearbox's generally have alot of rollover bearing noise, the clutches generally feel light and unresponsive. Its a vehicle charastic.

don't do burnouts, The CV's are not very strong. don't ever miss a shift, they are a tight working motor; it doesnt take much to stretch a piston or 2. I'm not sure how strong the internals are on one of these.

Check the panel gaps over the car, maybe you have a good one, maybe you don't. Make it noted, the JDM and SA panels are totally different. *wink*

Struts are leaky, and ive seen a few of them with saged springs. And noisy bearing top plates. And leaking powersteering racks. And timing case leaks. And creaking suspension. lol, ive even see one with the rod hanging out the front of the block.

I hope for your sake you sell it. Because if you don't, sure it might be nice atm, but they are NOT a keeper car. if it lasts more than 3 years, its a positive. Because they don't even appear to be be designed to last that long..

Vote 1 = Sell

Thanks for all that info mate.

The car is already 5 years old and none of the things noted are happening. To my knowledge anyway.

Mind you, it's only just clicked over 38 thou km's. After spending this much money on a car, I wouldn't want to be doing burnouts so don't worry about that. You mentioned the brake fluid being Dot 4 instead of Dot 3. What exactly does this mean? I also agree with the Australian Speed Limits part. Considering you can get to around 70 in first gear.

Looking forward to hear what Azza has to say. But Teddy you definately sound like you know your stuff. Well done.

They say doing this should make it keep up with the integra's....

They do indeed.

But they do nice skids on the limiter ;) (Have vids)

But Teddy you definately sound like you know your stuff. Well done.

Teddsta works for toyota :bash:

Vote 1 = Sell

My Sportivo is a bit over 4 years old and so far i have had no problems with it. I work part time as a mechanic and have always serviced it myself. I have so far been very happy with it, especially as it has over 80,000kms on it. It sounds like you know what your talking about though so maybe ive just been lucky! Thinking of selling it at the end of the year before the kms get to high. Engine and exhaust may be loud but i think its a nice tune! I'm very happy with my Sportivo and for any one who wants to buy one i say do it!

Edited by sportivoman

Its great to hear you guys have been having some trouble free motoring in them.

Maybe the later ones had some of the bugs ironed out, maybe its the high kms and careless additude of some owners that really does it..

38,000 kms - haha shes still new - tops ;)