My Caa22 (ca18det Powered Ta22)

Jordan

In January 2007 I purchased my 3rd classic Celica, a CA18DET powered TA22 from Queensland, and had it thrown on a truck and delivered to SA.

When I bought the car it had a full interior, fairly clean CA18DET installation, running a T28, 13x7" kidney mags, king springs and a god awful SAAS steering wheel. It made 150RWkW @8000RPM on 10PSi.

Since then much has changed: (in no particular order)

Engine Modifications

• Forged Pistons, balanced bottom end, metal head gasket and re-con'd head
    BlackStone Aluminium radiator (see mid 80's V6 Volvo sedan,) using Magna TM radiator hoses and Volvo header tank
    Late model Camery brake master cylinder
    17x12x3" front mount intercooler with 3" mandural piping
    Catch can, made from 3" pipe, with 2 internal baffles along with a sump return and breather
    Bosch 910 pressure pump, fed from a surge 2L tank fed by one of those noisy electric low pressure fuel pumps.
    Bosch external coils with 8mm Topgun leads
    550cc injectors
    Garrett GT2876R 48trim roller bearing turbocharger with 0.64 T2 rear housing
    Earl's Speedflow fitting used for the turbocharger
    Bashed in strut tower and ground down oil filler cap to fit said turbocharger
    Ebay High mount Stainless steel exhaust manifold with T2 flange welded on
    New custom made 3" straight through exhaust with side pipe

Body modifications, inc electrical

• 15x8" Performance challenger wheels (has also been seen with various other 14x6" and 14x7" rims)
    Sheet metal rivited over the back seat and rear parcel shelf
    Battery moved to the boot
    Completely new electrical body loom installed, after the old one stopped working
    Washer bottle relocated to the passenger foot well
    Boost gauge installed in the drivers side air vent
    Fully stripped interior of tar
    Sparco fixed back bucket seat installed
    New wiper motor
    RB20DET AFM wired in
    Guards rolled (badly but at least the 15x8" -9 rims no longer scrub)
    AE82 Twincam steering wheel

Driveline

• Ogura Racing Clutch (ORC) Twin Plate Ceramic clutch (includes a billet steel flywheel)
    New Diff, as the old one spat and axle
    Change from 4:11 to 3.9 diff ratio, along with new bearings
    Locked Diff centre

Suspesion and Brakes

• Front struts changed to RT132 corona items with Sumitomo twin spot front brakes
    Bushing kit
    After market front and rear sway bars installed
    Koni rear dampers

Cosmetic

• Replaced the rear light surrounds (which had been painted green) with original ones that still have the chrome
    New Grill (modified to fit the new cooler) with early style LT badge front and rear

Autobahn parts used:

• 3"-4" silicone reducer

Fabrication of the exhaust, inter cooler piping and catch can were all done by myself and Andrew of Premium Safes (where I've been working,) Engine machining has been done by Chris Milton Engine Developments, all other work has been done by myself with the help of a few friends.

enginebaykg5.jpg

enginebaytopdowngr4.jpg

frontonwi9.jpg

sidepipecc9.jpg

and with the old grill and 14x6" wheels

ta22mallalacx8.jpg

The car will be going in to be tuned and dynoed next week at this stage, as I'm moving to Broken Hill so some things just have to wait. Shortly I'll be installing my Land Cruiser front brakes, seam rivet or welding the chassis, stiffer springs, dampers and a large order from T3 (techno toy tuning) is on the cards in the next few months.

Cheers

Jordan[

Edited by Jordan

Members dont see this ad

Thank you for your kind words, it's been a long road to where it is at the moment. The RB20 AFM will only give usable information on airflow up to about ~230RWkW, and I'd be very happy to see it make 220RWkW. If for some reason that isn't enough, I can always get larger injectors and a standalone ECU like a Wolf 5 or Autronic, as the turbo and everything else are plenty large enough. As I mentioned in the first post I'm moving to broken hill in the morning (Dam 6:30am flight,) but once I can organize to have it tuned (likely to be late next week) I'll have they dyno sheet posted up.

I've always planed for this car to basically become a weekend racer, hill sprints, super sprints, regularity, open track days, motorkhana, etc... so hopefully it'll be up to the task.

Cheers

Jordan

Edited by Jordan

• 2 months later...

Update, there have been issues getting the stock ECU reflashed, so I've bitten the bullet and bought an Autronic SCM with all the trimmings. basically an SM4 minus the speed sensor.

Also have a new set of flares that'll allow me to run 225/55R15's with no problems on 15x8" -9J rims.

Cheers

jordan

P.S: I'm now working as a Ventilation Engineer at Broken Hill, so there should be some serious updates to this thread shortly.

Edited by Jordan

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...