18rg Twin Carb In Ke70

toyota_ae71

I'd really like to see you do this. I had an big single carbed 18RG in a TA22 some years ago and it was a monster.

I later had another one, EFI, in an RA40, and it too was quite a machine...

One attribute I remember an 18R has that a 4AG will never replicate is the huuuuuge amount of torque they have, especially the EFI. At the time I had the RA40 I also (stupidly) owned a HQ Monaro with a 307 Chev, and the Celica would easily whoop its lardy arse up to 100kph. In a lighter car like your rolla, the effect woud be even better.

And don't let anyone tell you they don't rev.... mine hit 7.5 regularly, and as a bonus, they sound they make at full noise is almost woody-inducing :jamie:

Yes they are an old engine, and they are kinda heavy... but they were the toyota tuner's motor of choice for a very long time, for very good reason.

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks for thr encouragement mate I'm defenitley going to do it but ive just gotta start saving my pennys and i had a look at the engine again but was unable to take rocket cover off as its tightly hidden under his bench but he's geting it out soon so ill find out then, but now the other thing is that the rocket cover dosnt have any writing on it and all the others that ive seen on 18rg's do so whats the go with that??

cheers corey

thanks for thr encouragement mate I'm defenitley going to do it but ive just gotta start saving my pennys and i had a look at the engine again but was unable to take rocket cover off as its tightly hidden under his bench but he's geting it out soon so ill find out then, but now the other thing is that the rocket cover dosnt have any writing on it and all the others that ive seen on 18rg's do so whats the go with that??

cheers corey

just to let you know man its a rocker cover (tappet cover)

yes i no what it is but all the 18rg's that i have seen have got toyota something somthing writin on them but this one has nothing writin on it at all, so i was just wondering if that meant it was a rare rocket cover or a aftermarket one because the guy dosnt really now stuff all about it!

Cheers

hay mate i looked at doing the same thing to my ke70 a while back!! an i found that cause of the twin carb set up the

back carbie hits on the brake booster/master!! thses motors are soooo fukn heavy took me an 3 of my dads mates to lift one with a box on it!!

Most of that weight is the box, Still a heavy engine though.

If you have patience these motor pop up every where, My mate has 3 complete motors.

Start small. 4K, minor rebuild, learn to drive well with little horsepower. You'll thank yourself for it in a couple of years when you are carrying more corner speed than everyone else.

So you may not be winning outright, but you'll be learning to drive well, so in a couple of years when you do get grunt, you'll be up the pointy end.

Trust me.

ok ill take your advice on that do you think 32/36, cam, port, valve springs and 40 or 60 thou off the head would be nioce?? and i already have extractors! but as for when I'm out of lil grunt what would you advise for bif grunt?? 18rg or 4age?? just so i can save a little inbetween

cheers

Edited by toyota_ae71