Ke70 Heater Doesn't Work

Mybowlcut

If the gauge is up to temp then it should be blowing hot air :rocknroll:

Might be a good idea to pull the rest of the heater hoses off and check them for blockages. Stuff the garden hose in the end if you have to. Same with the heater core, re-move the two hoses at the fire wall jam the hose in the passenger side (out let)

and see if you can't get some flow happening. Might want to check the thermostat isn't full of crud too.

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahh crap I was on the second page... I didn't realise there was a third one haha sorry.

So yeah, I read the manual and found the drain cock... %$^# it takes a long time to drain it... I figure I'll put on the new hose clamps and check the hose tonight before I drive it anywhere. I was driving to get the hose clamps and radiator flush and when I parked I figured I'd check the hoses and see if they were ok since the fiddling around. The bypass hose was leaking or something and was spraying coolant all over the engine so I've ordered a new bypass hose from Veales and will get it tomorrow morning in Dad's car or something.

I'll try everything you said except this: "Same with the heater core, re-move the two hoses at the fire wall jam the hose in the passenger side (out let)

and see if you can't get some flow happening. Might want to check the thermostat isn't full of crud too." cause I don't know what you mean haha.

I'm having a bit of trouble finding out how to flush the radiator. I can't see underneath it so I can't find any plug etc.

Ahh crap I was on the second page... I didn't realise there was a third one haha sorry.

So yeah, I read the manual and found the drain cock... %$^# it takes a long time to drain it... I figure I'll put on the new hose clamps and check the hose tonight before I drive it anywhere. I was driving to get the hose clamps and radiator flush and when I parked I figured I'd check the hoses and see if they were ok since the fiddling around. The bypass hose was leaking or something and was spraying coolant all over the engine so I've ordered a new bypass hose from Veales and will get it tomorrow morning in Dad's car or something.

I'll try everything you said except this: "Same with the heater core, re-move the two hoses at the fire wall jam the GARDEN hose in the passenger side (out let)

and see if you can't get some flow happening. Might want to check the thermostat isn't full of crud too." cause I don't know what you mean haha.

Make sense now?

Do the same with the tap, take both hoses off and flush all the shit out with the GARDEN hose.

Just a quick question: Is it generally pretty hot where you got the car from/live? like in the desert or something? Because it looks as tho the heater has never been used with the amount of shit in that hose you pulled off :rocknroll:

Make sense now?

Do the same with the tap, take both hoses off and flush all the shit out with the GARDEN hose.

Just a quick question: Is it generally pretty hot where you got the car from/live? like in the desert or something? Because it looks as tho the heater has never been used with the amount of shit in that hose you pulled off :rocknroll:

So you mean that I'd take them out in the engine bay... I wouldn't need to go inside the car? If so then I think I get what you're saying.

Nope it's just average temperatures hey. The guy who I bought it off only had it for a few months... the granny/grandpa before him had it for all of it's life so maybe they never used it? Haha.

Yes in the engine bay :rocknroll:

If you pull these two hoses off, stick the garden hose into/over one the pipes thats coming out of the fire wall then you should get water coming out the other side. It will be going through the heater core, no water coming out = blocked heater core or wet floor :jamie:

post-3379-1209464671.jpg

So you mean that I'd take them out in the engine bay... I wouldn't need to go inside the car? If so then I think I get what you're saying.

Nope it's just average temperatures hey. The guy who I bought it off only had it for a few months... the granny/grandpa before him had it for all of it's life so maybe they never used it? Haha.

That car looks as if its had little use for sure in all the closeups. Best to deal with the gunk problem head on so you can enjoy the car and have some peace of mind, because that is a lot of crap in there.

I guess you just have to get stuck in, man up, put your thinking cap on and get the hose into it and backwash the heater core, swap to some new hoses and may as well fit a new thermostat and complete the cooling system service. Get some good quality hose clamps from an industrial place for a little extra peace of mind. Run muckowt in the thing for a week once you put it all back together and then drop off the bottom radiator hose and replace with decent coolant mixed with demineralised water. It will love you for it.

You might spend 100 dollars at once on bluemaxx, coolant, thermostat, muckowt, water and hoses, but its better to do it this way properly rather than dump the coolant at 3 different times to do three different things. Do you have any service documents on the car to say what was done to her?

don't worry too much about water in the engine bay. If you absolutely have to you can carefully hose it out. Just don't do it hot, cover your intake with plastic and also cover electrical stuff like the starter, wiring and alternator.

That car looks as if its had little use for sure in all the closeups. Best to deal with the gunk problem head on so you can enjoy the car and have some peace of mind, because that is a lot of crap in there.

I guess you just have to get stuck in, man up, put your thinking cap on and get the hose into it and backwash the heater core, swap to some new hoses and may as well fit a new thermostat and complete the cooling system service. Get some good quality hose clamps from an industrial place for a little extra peace of mind. Run muckowt in the thing for a week once you put it all back together and then drop off the bottom radiator hose and replace with decent coolant mixed with demineralised water. It will love you for it.

You might spend 100 dollars at once on bluemaxx, coolant, thermostat, muckowt, water and hoses, but its better to do it this way properly rather than dump the coolant at 3 different times to do three different things. Do you have any service documents on the car to say what was done to her?

don't worry too much about water in the engine bay. If you absolutely have to you can carefully hose it out. Just don't do it hot, cover your intake with plastic and also cover electrical stuff like the starter, wiring and alternator.

I'm reallllly pissed off. I can't get the hose that goes from the radiator to the heater tap off because one single friggon bolt is rounded (the one next to that wire). So I'm sticking a f^^^ing toothbrush down the pipes trying to get this shit out. Sooner or later I'm just going to bring the hose into the engine bay and hold it at one end cause ze patience, she is running out...

I dunno how to fit a new thermostat hey. I'm having enough trouble getting diahorrea out of a hose. :rocknroll:

Ok so I'm nearly finished unclogging the last pipe that leads to the tap. The ones going from the firewall should be fine because I mentioned in one of my earlier posts that I squeezed the top radiator hose and coolant came through the tap with no problems. Correct me if I'm wrong pleeease because I need to know haha.

I think one reason why the flush didn't work was because when I was trying to take off the pipes waayyy earlier on in the afternoon, I pulled the lever that operates the hot/cold switch off of the tap because I thought I was going to be taking the whole tap off. But, before I disconnected it, it was in the hot position because the tap lever was as far out as it could go (which is the hot position in a ke70). So I guess that wouldn't have mattered actually haha... There was and is a lot of crap throughout the hoses...

Edit: I'm also going to buy demineralised water tomorrow if it's cheap and use that to test everything out once I get the hoses back on. If it's working I can drain the water and put coolant in... That way it's cheaper I hope.

What's bluemaxx?

Edited by Mybowlcut

Got these hoses off and cleaned them...

post-5027-1209480486_thumb.jpg

There's just one more hose left and I gotta pick up a bypass hose and then I can test it out! Thanks for all your help, guys! This is the first semi-mechanical thing that I've done on my own (with your help) and it was pretty fun although annoying at times. :rocknroll:

Question: Can the pipe (on the left hand side) in this picture touch the distributor (the distributor has the 4 spark plugs going into it, right?)? It has a rubber casing in the middle of it if you look at it closely. I'm just wondering if it's meant to sit against the distributor to prevent some sort of electrical mishap? At the moment the pipe's metal touches the distributor.. just wondering what to do in this situation; if it's fine to leave it the way it is.

post-5027-1209515320_thumb.jpg

Cheers.

Edited by Mybowlcut

Question: Can the pipe (on the left hand side) in this picture touch the distributor (the distributor has the 4 spark plugs going into it, right?)? It has a rubber casing in the middle of it if you look at it closely. I'm just wondering if it's meant to sit against the distributor to prevent some sort of electrical mishap? At the moment the pipe's metal touches the distributor.. just wondering what to do in this situation; if it's fine to leave it the way it is.

post-5027-1209515320_thumb.jpg

Cheers.

Nothing really should be hitting the distributor.

Mate, get the fuggin hose in there. If you cannot get the hose off, just open the tap and hook the hose up to the core and flush the shit out of the whole lot. If its too blocked you will need to pull it apart. Ive said it before, Ill say it again, man up. There are tricks to most everything, so just get stuck in, think before you yank, and don't be too worried. The thermostat is a little valve which is temperature operated. When its closed, the water circulates around the engine only. When its open, the water also passes through the radiator to get some cooling done and maintain the temperature. The thermostat is under a bolt on cover at the front of the motor I think on a 4k. Put a pic up and someone will highlight it for you. They are a classic spot where gunk gathers. They are also pretty unreliable, and if you are going to remove gunk from the cooling system then it will definitely need doing.

You can fill it with tap water mixed with muckowt to clean it, just need demineralised water in there for the long term once its clean.

Nothing really should be hitting the distributor.

Do you mean: it's not safe for something to hit the distributor OR in the photo there is nothing touching the distributor that will harm it?

Mate, get the fuggin hose in there. If you cannot get the hose off, just open the tap and hook the hose up to the core and flush the shit out of the whole lot. If its too blocked you will need to pull it apart. Ive said it before, Ill say it again, man up. There are tricks to most everything, so just get stuck in, think before you yank, and don't be too worried. The thermostat is a little valve which is temperature operated. When its closed, the water circulates around the engine only. When its open, the water also passes through the radiator to get some cooling done and maintain the temperature. The thermostat is under a bolt on cover at the front of the motor I think on a 4k. Put a pic up and someone will highlight it for you. They are a classic spot where gunk gathers. They are also pretty unreliable, and if you are going to remove gunk from the cooling system then it will definitely need doing.

You can fill it with tap water mixed with muckowt to clean it, just need demineralised water in there for the long term once its clean.

God I'm gonna get some brownie points for this! :rocknroll:

post-5027-1209522604_thumb.jpg

Haha. I woke up really early like 4.40 this morning cause of a freaky dream. I ate and then sat on rollaclub for a while then went out to the shed, put on the radio and started putting the bits back together. I had money so I figured I'd take dad's car and go to Coventrys and Veale auto parts. I got a ke70 bypass hose ($8.00), two hose clamps for said bypass hose($1.20 each), 2 (bigger) hose clamps for replacing those weird clips since they look gay and are a bitch to get off (@HRV-00S I used a screwdriver haha) ($1.80 each), thermostat ($11.94) and thermostat gasket ($2.02), 10l of demineralised water ($14.00 - EXPENSIVE!) and Tectaloy Muckowt ($8.00). I didn't know the brand that makes it.. I was searching on google and couldn't find it for ages haha.

So, I'm going to take a picture of the thermostat wherever the hell it is haha and post it up! :jamie: Then hopefully you guys can help me out with how to install the new thermostat (and new gasket if I need it?). :y:

I think I need a new one of these... haha:

post-5027-1209527475_thumb.jpg

post-5027-1209527495_thumb.jpg

Oh, also... what's better for the radiator... coolant or demineralised water?

Cheers!

Edited by Mybowlcut

Clamps were $2 each from servo and Thermostat Housing was $27.61 from Coventrys (I must have got the trade price with the thermostat and gasket!)

post-5027-1209531278_thumb.jpg

Any tips on how to install this baby would be great! Or just advice on what NOT to do... i.e. if there's anything to do first, etc...

Edited by Mybowlcut

Where is the thermostat?? Where is the thermostat gasket?? :jamie: I can assume that the gasket naturally wore away haha... but the thermostat... is it that thing in the middle? If so, is it supposed to come out? Can it come out??

post-5027-1209534784_thumb.jpg

The old thermostat housing... yum. :rocknroll:

post-5027-1209534808_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mybowlcut