Diffs

Hey all i'm looking to upgrade my diff cheaply!

so i've been looking into a torago diff!

as far as i understand they come in 4.11 ratio.

are 30mm too wide either side...

can fix this with some FWD offset wheels.

Has anyone researched this path as well? or even done it?

Members dont see this ad
Hey all i'm looking to upgrade my diff cheaply!

so i've been looking into a torago diff!

as far as i understand they come in 4.11 ratio.

are 30mm too wide either side...

can fix this with some FWD offset wheels.

Has anyone researched this path as well? or even done it?

No such thing as a cheap diff, I reckon.

Dunno much about Tarago diffs. Not many people use them because they need mounts, and spring hats welded on in the correct spot, like any other diff does.

Most people use a t18 diff in a ke70, it bolts in perfectly and is a jap Banjo style diff, T series etc and some even have swaybar mounts. Can get LSDs for them easy as pie.

You can also use T series Corona diffs or Celica (ra40-60) diffs which bolt in, sort of. The spring hats are not in the right spot by 15mm a side and the upper arms are 12mm a side wrong, but some people just force it all together. Will need a shortened tailshaft with either of these options, again costing money.

If you are willing to get a housing modified then you can use most any diff you like, if its close to the correct width. Its not really a cheap option either, as it can cost up to 500 dollars to mod a housing if you have to pay a diff shop to do it.

Sprinter boys usually upgrade to these when their T-series diffs break too often.

The Tarago diffs come in two types, E-series and F-series. The F-series being more desirable as they slightly stronger than the E-series and have LSD's available. The E-series don't have any easily available LSD's.

The F-series are generally found on the YR22 Tarago (EFI models).

The diffs are a little wider than usual at around 1450mm so would require some cutting down depending on what car its going into.

lol yeah not much in the way of a cheap diff upgrade unfortunately everything comes at a price.

a diff upgrade is mainly in 3 parts : fitting, strength and lsd options.

(other small factors are bigger bearings, ratios, brakes, less flex, easier to change centres etc)

and if you need more strength because you have more power you will probably need a lsd to

get traction to the ground which is a very important factor to consider as diffs often only

take a certain lsd type.

fitting:

try to get same stud pattern, same brake type or close, same spigot hub size or smaller not bigger,

and remember to get the pinion angle right when welding mounts and platforms on!

super easy is same width or slightly wider and same mounts just bolt up (haha like this ever happens much...)

$0

easy is same width or slightly wider, transfer mounts and platforms across.

$300

meduim is shorten slightly and cut down axles or use shorter axles if they exist and transfer mounts and platforms across

$600

hard is shorten lots, respline axles or suitable thicker axles.

$800

strength is pretty much directly related to the weight of the diff don't go overkill as it will stuff suspension

and unsprung mass and add too much weight to the car overall.

also brakes may have to be upgraded so consider if this is possible on the new diff.

lsd options, research types of lsd, how they work and think which one suits you best, choose oem

or aftermarket, then find out how much they are and how much they are and prices for rebuild kits are etc.

not all diffs take lsds or don't take other types of lsd than the original factory type.

lsds are very different - do your homework!

for a start look at:

differentials how they work

lsd how it works

viscous lsd

cone type lsd

torsen lsd

clutch pack lsd

1 way, 1.5 way, 2 way lsds

2 pinion vs 4 pinion

rebuild kits / prices for new lsd

ah also fwd offset wheels will need to be very positive offset so you wont be able to use them on the front

and you wont be able to run very wide tyres either on the rear. it will look wierd with 2 sets of rims or if they

are the same style the fronts will have more dish than the rears lol unless you run bolt on spacers on the front

and use the very positive offset rims all round which is an option i suppose.

I'm pretty sure you have a KE30 / 55 ? Why not talk to someone like Sleeka Spares. Last time I enquired they had ra28 or ta22 diffs with tailshafts for around $150 - $200. You will probally need to modify the tailshaft length / splines (not to sure about splines) which will be around $300 - $400. Main thing it will give you extra track, not heeps, but it could be noticable enough.

Also you need to get the leaf springs mounted on if you do have the above model.

Benefits of a TA22 some have swaybar mounts, therefore the added benefit of a swaybar! Also its easier to get an LSD or locker if ever needed.

Cheers Fusion

Hey guys thanks for the replies!

I have a KE55.. so the KE70 options don't work.

The torago diff i understand will need mods.

but i believe the liteace runs the same series diff but with leaf spring mounts?

thanks fusion thats good advice. tailshaft is no probs for me since i'm running a t50 gear box my ke55 tail shaft needs modifying

anyway! Do you have a number for sleeka spares? they would be in adelaide?

i have an ae71 spline to go on and it needs to be shortened so tailshaft doesn't really matter!

also i'm not fussed about lsd its a daily driver and i don't plan to be doing burnouts...

the only real driving i do are hill runs...

• 1 month later...

What about a RT or XT Corona diff??

I imagine they'd be wider, but by how much?? I'm looking at running Flares on my KE36, so extra width would be a good thing (plus its got Sigma front arms, so its already heaps wider at the front)

Were they leaf spring??

Well at u-pull it today i measured drum to drum a corolla one and compared it to an ra60 and the ra60 is approx 30mm wider.

so i reckon i'll be going with that diff 15mm each side isn't that bad and

they came with 2.4l? so it should have decent brakes.

something else i didn't look into but i should measure out an r31 skylind diff. with that you get disc brafe rear and on the silhouette

you get lsd.

If you like I am pretty sure Sleeka Spares also sell RA60 diffs.

I am need of an upgrade myself, so if you like I will ask them how much it will cost. They might even pull it out for you :D

My mechanic told me he has a contact for creating a custom diff for me, but it will cost me around $500 with both the KE30 diff and the upgraded diff