Noisy Lifter

kangaroosa

Heres the latest cock-up with the 5k. One of the exhaust lifters is noisy. I've adjusted all the exhaust lifters to 0.012" while its warm. But there is always one noisey exhaust lifter. I've adjusted numerous times on the compression stroke ans so on. I have had the engine running with the rocker cover off and put a feeler gauge under the tappet, which stopped the noise. It had no more clearance than the other lifters - but then i ran the motor and when i turned the motor off, the clearance on the exhaust lifter was about 1mm.

I don't want to adjust the lifter again incase something is wrong. At the moment, its the engine builders fault - I'm not in a hurry to make it my problem.

As far as i know, its got holden solid lifters - i had people telling me that its a broken lifter because they are hydraulic - so like i said, as far as i know its a solid lifter.

Any ideas people?

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if you can ajust the rockers and it makes a difference in the noise then theyre solid. If they arnt ajustable or ajusting them makes no difference they are hyraulic and are probably fuxxord.

I bet you got covered in oil running the car with the cover off........

I got lucky with the oil - everything is covered in oil except for me. All of the other tappets are adjusted and are acceptable. They all were a bit noisey, so i guess they are solid. As for this one noisey one - its got me beat what causing it.

I just ran it for a few mins then and the clearance is now less than 0.012". Even if i set the clearance to 0.012 and then run the car and re-check it - the bloody clearance changes to either much less 0.012" or is about 1mm. Either way, its still noisey.

I've called it quits - I going to drop it into the engine builder and say here's the keys - you fix it. It sounds like the noise is coming from within the block (either a lifter, or problem with the cam).

You might see ke30 for sale in a week - judging by the way i feel at the moment.

Currently i'm driving a company car (Holden Rodeo 2004), its got enough power, its comfortable and reliable. I was driving home the other day and was thinking, why the hell did i just spend $2000 on a corolla (as much as i love my car) - when i could have put that money to something newer. Ohh well - Look out for the add -hehehe

i can actually afford to pay cash for a 2004 rodeo. But i'm in the market for a house and can't justify spending $35,000 on a new car when i can just keep this one going. By the way, a 2004 rodeo is not my dream car (its just what gets me around for now).

I've had my corolla for 6 years, and its my first car. First cars are always the hardest ones to sell (hence my hesitation to sell it).

still, new good cars are nice to drive aren't they :P don't get disheartened and give up with your 5k, there's got to be an explanation for it, and the knowledge is out there to help you find it, or at least have a good crack so you can turn around and say "its not this this this this or this i've done everything i can, you fix it"

one of the things i've learnt about cars (corollas anyway) is don't even bother trying to guess where a noise is coming from if you're not 100% certain, you'll just end up confusing yourself and might send yourself on a wild goosechase

Yeah new cars are nice. I guess i'm just getting frustrated with the whole car. I ordered the motor 7 weeks before chritsmas. The bloke told me that it would be 2 weeks - instead it stretched out to 7 weeks, and i got the motor 3 days before christmas(which pissed me off because i wanted to have the new motor in and run in before the christmas break so i could get away for a while - instead i was left with a 4k with a blown head gasket, which used 1/2liter of water over 3 days).

Now its halfway through january and the new motor is still not running properly.

I don't want to seem like i'm whinging, but i hope you can see the amount of shit and incompedence i have had to go through for a simple motor.

Makes me wish i had gone back to the first bloke that machined 4k years ago (i dropped off the parts and within 3 days i had it all back and assembled). That motor has been through hell and back for 4 years and is still running nicely - except for the blown head gasket.

ahh, you made the classic working-on-cars-people mistake. when someone says "i'll get it back to you in 2 weeks" that really means 2 months. when someone says "oh, about 6 months" that actually means about 2 years. and trust me, when someone says "oh just leave it with me and drop in tomorrow arvo, no charge" you'll never see the job finished. sad but true

who built your 5k out of interest?

Yeah i know about the time factor from past experience...but i fall for it everytime.

I'm from Melbourne and originally i approached Head Stud Development in Moorabbin to port my head (i was referred to them, as they do alot of work for the corolla club cars and race cars here in melbourne). When i went there, they had a fully setup race car getting some work done on it, and the boss races a hot pink HQ. So i figured he obviously knows what he's doing - which he does when it comes to cylinder heads - but he's not so good with motors as i have now learnt.

He actually had a 5K sitting down the back of his workshop, as it was left over from a previous client who ran out of money and left it with him. It cost me $500 for the complete block and new hypertec pistons. It cost me $1200 by the time it was all machined up and assembled - which i thought was a good deal. I got quotes for my 4k to be rebuilt and they all came in around the $1100 mark.

He had done these engines in the past, so i figured it was safer to get him to build it, as he knew what exactly had to go into it (other engine reconditioners said they hadnt really modified a 5K to that extent).

Anyway, i'll call him tommorow and tell him that i'm bringing it back for him to fix.

I'm sure if he's a credible business man, it would be in his best interests to assist you in getting it fixed properly, nothing worse than buying a *lemon* of sorts after dishing out your well earned cash.. Sometimes you have problems when you buy something new, ironing out the bugs is annoying to begin with, but it can be rewarding in the long run.. Hope you get it all sorted out anyways mate :P

Sorry i forgot to mention the head was an extra $800 (race port, bigger valves, twin valve springs) on top of the $1200 for the motor. So its about $2000 all up.

I dropped the car into him after work and he's going to have a look at it tommorow. It will be interesting to see whats causing the problem.

I should also mention that he was cool about the whole situation. I've been bad mouthing him on here, but thats just my frustration. He had a quick look at the motor whilst i was there - but to diagnose it properly, he obviously has to pull the push rod and lifter out- which is his job for tommorow.

I'll fill you guys in later, when i hear more.

I sold my baby LSD to a guy at Head stud Development years ago. They built a Corolla club car years ago, and it seriously hauled ass. That will be a GOOD motor. Even the best engines have teething problems, my grunter had valve stem seal issues when it first went in, but was soon cheerfully fixed by the engine builder. Sounds like your's is doing the same.....

Going WAAAAAAy off topic here, have you had anything to do with the Toyota Car Club in Melbourne?

Edited by Redwarf