Noisy Lifter

kangaroosa

I might have to get something done about the exhaust in the future as this new 5k makes it pretty bloody loud. At idle the car is deep and lumpy, and when i went for a spin around the block, my mate said he could hear every gear change right around the block. I'm happy with exhaust note - I don't think i can say the same for my neighbours.

Sounds like Nick's white KE70, I used to wait over his place some afternoons after work, you could hear him coming from a few blocks away..

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope i've never had it tested. I borowed a mates XY GT a few years ago. It had twin exhaust with a single straight through muffler on each pipe - one day the the muffler on the left exploded open whilst i was driving it. It was already illegally loud, but as soon as that happened it was popping on every downshift and making a shit load of noise. But unfortunately i got busted by the EPA while i was driving it back to him - you reckon i was pissed off.

At the time he had to either fix the problem and then get it tested or take the car off the road. If he kept driving the car and he got caught again, it was about a $500 fine for the first offence. He chose to take it off the road and do a full restore job on it.

Maybe i'll just wait for a letter to fix my exhaust and then i'll get it tested.

I think the max db is around 94 or 96db isnt it? So 114db is your current record - I'll see if i can give that figure a nudge, hehe.

the yellow KE55 sedan would be juniors mates car.

pics and info can be found here

KE55 CA18DET

nice car......does under 13s....

and yes the stud pattern is the same as yours....

the diff is an R31 skyline diff.....which is what i am thinking about putting under my car..cause i think you can buy LSDs for them........good investment.

btw.....i think my exhaust would be louder than jamies.....

2 inch straight through basically......1 x 15 inch resonator....(which does nothing).....bigger extractors going on soon.

my workmates could hear me three blocks away when i was pissed off leaving work one night.......i was impressed by that......

Edited by Xany

So i finally got my corolla back this afternoon. Seems it was dodgy pushrod that caused all the drama's in the start. Infact it even chewed the crap out of the matching lifter and cam lobe. So the cam has been replaced along with a complete NEW set of push rods, NEW lifters and new threaded clearance adjusters. I guess the engine builder didn't make any profit on this motor.

He was also kind enough to upgrade my new cam grind to a speedway spec - unknown to me until i picked it up.

I can finally say that i'm happy with the power that the new motor puts out - although a nice carby setup would make my day.

Its still very tappety (too tappety for my liking), but i was told to drive it for three weeks to let everything bed in, and then adjust all the clearances again.

Now i think i should bite the bullet and have the exhaust redone to make her a bit quieter. At the moment its way too loud for my liking. My old 4k used to be nice and acceptable - but the 5k is just in your face. Besides, if a copper pulls me over and slaps a deffective notice on my car, its going to cost me a whole heap more to get all the other shit fixed.

I can post the new engine specs up later if there is anyone who is interested.

As promised, here are the new cam specs. I believe the new lifters are also supplied by Crow cams.

http://www.rollaclub.com/gallery/index.php...mall.JPG&idx=44

and here is the damaged lifter which i took as a momento. The pic doesnt quiet capture the extent of damage. Never the less you can see that its not perfect.

http://www.rollaclub.com/gallery/index.php...mall.JPG&idx=22

Engine Specs are as follows:

- Large port, big valve head. Double valve springs.

- Gemini Pistons 82mm Bore. Hypertec Pistons machined to reduce compression to 9.5:1

- Datsun 1200 pushrods

- Fully Balanced

- Double row timing chain

- Crow solid cam and lifters (Lifters are Holden brand. Apparently the 6cyl, 8cyl and chev types are all pretty much the same). Apparently??

- King Bearings

- Hastings Rings

- Standard conrods and crank.

- 12" high powered thermo fan. Davies Craig brand.

- 3 Row radiator

that's a MASSIVE amount of lift you're running there! that's a pretty decent cam though, similar to mine and teddy's, should be nice to drive

gemi pistons in a 5k, that's a new one. i wouldn't be revving it over 7400 very often, your bore walls are going to be pretty thin. keep an eye on your temperature, consider even changing to a slightly lower thermostat and just changing your oil more often. make sure your thermofan is very well shrouded, or change back to 4k plastic non-clutch engine fan for possibly better cooling

that's a 1542cc motor, almost as big as a 4age :D

Edited by Super Jamie

Yeah it is a big motor isnt it - Not exactly what i was looking for, but i'm just happy that its working.

I forgot to post the flow figures for my head. I'll get around to that later today.

I have installed the standard fan and shroud. Also my thermostat starts opening at 82degree's C. The bloke that did my radiator said that this is the lowest one he can get for my car. The car now run's at half on my standard temp gauge. Which is roughly 85degrees in the top of the radiator.

I have the day off work today so i am going to:

- change over the engine number on my rego sticker

- Get prices from local exhaust shops for a newer quieter exhaust

- Fit the thermo fan to the front of the radiator (grill side) just incase she decides to get warm when i'm stuck in traffic. It's been around 37degrees here in melbourne for the past few days and today seems to be no different.

That should keep me busy.