Engine Conversions

2tgcoupe

G'day guys.

got my KE55, and I'm looking at putting a new motor in it.

The 2tg in it now has only done 30,000 k's but I am looking for something a little smoother, EFI is much to my liking.

NA, Turbo, blown, it doesnt worry me really, although would be alot better for rego/engineering if it was N/A.

Question is,

After buying the motor, how much are you looking at to put it in? ($$$)

I'm looking at a 4age, CA18, or SR20. If anyone thinks there is a better motor to drop in let me know.

Spoke to a bloke yesterday who said I have buckleys of getting a corolla with a SR20 engineered/registered.

Something to do with weight of the car (880kilos) compared with the power or displacement of the motor.

Is this a load of shit? or can you really not get it done?

Just keen on getting something different from the 2tg (great as it is) but I want something a little newer, and smoother.

One more question, with the SR20, how much difference is there between the turbo and non-turbo variants of this motor, as in internals, cause I was thinking of putting in a N/a one, and later on bolting on a turbo.

Members dont see this ad

This question has been asked many times. Even myself when I started.

With your first question about the engine conversion.

It all depends on your state as different states have different rules. You need to ring up your Transport Agency and talk to them or talk to an engineer.

Also, you haven't looked around on this site have you. There is guys with KE55's with SR20's in them with it being street legal. Use the search button more, don't be lazy.

Differences between N/A engines and Forced Induction engines will be there compressions. Probably many more different things but I am not into much forced induction side of things at the moment.

Weight of a KE55 sedan is not 880kg, it's 920kg I believe. Then a average human around 60-80kg will weight it down just over one tonne.

Do some research buddy.

Have a search through the engine conversions section.

Chances are, most of what you are looking for has already been

answered/done there.

Once you have found out what you are keen on, come back with some more specific questions

(although, once again, search first).

Question is,

After buying the motor, how much are you looking at to put it in? ($$$)

how long is a piece of string??

theres no exact figure to how much it cost to put in .. you need to take into acount what you can do to it yourself and what you will need professional help for , cost of materials and the un-expected costs that will arise..

research it abit further dude..

as for legalities see what is allowed in your state and also speak with an engineer.

cheers

matt

Weight of a KE55 sedan is not 880kg, it's 920kg I believe. Then a average human around 60-80kg will weight it down just over one tonne.

Yeh, its not a standard KE55 sedan, its a 2dr coupe, and it already has alot of mods, bringing it to 880kilos.

Well, can anyone tell me what motor they think would be best to put in from experience. in terms of how hard they are to get in.

My old man will do all the work himself, but yeh, I think it would be best to not give him the hardest one.

And anyone who has put a CA18 in, how much did it cost you to get in there?

I already have a fuel pump and lsd diff to fit it, so those costs are taken care of.

not much but its a start.

CA18 is a top motor. Nice and compact, cheap as to get a complete one. If you look around you will get a motor box computer combination for under 1000 bucks.

As for the fitment, all depends on what you make yourself. There are a couple of guys on here that have done it, some as cheap as 2k completed, some have spent over 10k.

don't listen to all these SR guru's who are CA haters. Its a cool motor, and heaps of bang for buck.

CA18 is a top motor. Nice and compact, cheap as to get a complete one. If you look around you will get a motor box computer combination for under 1000 bucks.

As for the fitment, all depends on what you make yourself. There are a couple of guys on here that have done it, some as cheap as 2k completed, some have spent over 10k.

don't listen to all these SR guru's who are CA haters. Its a cool motor, and heaps of bang for buck.

Yeh, thats why I sorta was looking towards this motor. I'm not looking for something ridiculously fast, just quick enough, and not too expensive.

Thanks heaps for the info.

for car weight its a set figure for the heaviest version of the car (ie 4 door sedan not including station wagon)

with auto transmission. the list of car weights is in the qld code of practice for light motor vehicles. probably

the same or similar for other states and also probably the same or similar where NCOP (National code of practice) applies.

so it doesnt matter what your car weighs, just what the book says.

any more power and you will probably need a driveline upgrade and lsd which costs a lot.

personally i would work the 2tg which is really common and easy to do or if you really have to,

supercharge it with a sc14. engine conversions cost a lot! id say spend half that money on the 2tg

and you would have an awesome motor!

for car weight its a set figure for the heaviest version of the car (ie 4 door sedan not including station wagon)

with auto transmission. the list of car weights is in the qld code of practice for light motor vehicles. probably

the same or similar for other states and also probably the same or similar where NCOP (National code of practice) applies.

so it doesnt matter what your car weighs, just what the book says.

any more power and you will probably need a driveline upgrade and lsd which costs a lot.

personally i would work the 2tg which is really common and easy to do or if you really have to,

supercharge it with a sc14. engine conversions cost a lot! id say spend half that money on the 2tg

and you would have an awesome motor!

Yeh, was thinking about working the 2tg with a blower or a turbo but was also thinking that a motor that came with forced induction, would be made to handle the pressure better than taking a N/A motor and strapping a supercharger or turbo to it.

but on the other hand, I would love to put a blower on the 2tg, but first I would have to fuel inject it, I can't be bothered making something that consistently requires tuning.

The motor already has a lumpy cam and extractors, and taken to a 1.8lt

Exhaust system coming.

To put a blower on it, how woud I go about lowering the compression, blower shims?

new head?

I have a 5 spd celica box in it, with a lsd.

What is the sc14 off? and what about forged pistons, I want to do this properly, so would I drop a set in?

I'm sure doing it this way would be far easier to get registered and engineered than doing another complete engine conversion.

As I said before, I don't want anything too stupid.

Just a bit quicker than what I have.

The 2tg was a 115hp motor stock, and I (my old man) have taken it from 1.6 to a 1.8, lumpy cam, twin carbs and extractors so say its putting roughly 125hp down now,

is expecting 150 with a supercharger too much?

I don't want to run excessive boost, just keep everything pretty smooth.

And I'm guessing alot of the gains would be made in torque.

thanks for the help

this probably won't help, but just add to the pile of thoughts floating around your head. but since you already have a T series engine, have you thought about a 3T-GTE or a 2T/3T hybrid turbo setup??

Edited by dfunkt

this probably won't help, but just add to the pile of thoughts floating around your head. but since you already have a T series engine, have you thought about a 3T-GTE or a 2T/3T hybrid turbo setup??

Will those motors be the same engine mounts??

All sound like good ideas though.

I would really like fuel injection though.. I'm a big fan of that.

Thats obvious.

Then you already knew the answer before asking the question? You should at least drop the compression somehow.

Seriously though, the best thing to do if you want to know what it would cost would be to do some good individual research. The money spent can be kept down if you do work yourself or get some mates to help fab stuff. Just think about the motor and what you will need to install for it to function, find out what the parts cost, check different forums and see what you should be paying for them. Work out how to adapt it to the new space. Make a spreadsheet, keep notes and quotes. Eventually you will know what it costs to do, give or take.

Research is free, and makes you lots of money. :(

The price can vary wildly if you bling it up properly while building it. Polishing, powdercoating, brand new parts, etc. Make sure you budget to get a timing belt, waterpump, and plugs for whatever engines you are considering.

A limiting factor for some higher hp motors could be the size of the transmission tunnel, and things like steering/motor interference, sump/crossmember interference, and poor weight balance. It all depends how you do it I guess. don't forget to budget for a surge tank setup or baffled tank, if converting to efi.

Oh, and the E on the end of 3TGTE is for efi. :y:

Edited by LittleRedSpirit