Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

in Darwin i just drove past a servo

1.83 for diesel

OMFG what is this

I saw $1.87 for diesel here in Newcastle just the other day, at the same time I could get 91 unleaded (not the E10 crap that everywhere has these days) for $1.51 including 4c discount.

No wonder the truckies are up in arms. Really puts you off the idea of buying a Euro turbo-diesel too.

Yeah.. Sadly enough.. this fuel price problem could be solved VERY easily.

The government have a 38.1c p/l surcharge ontop of the GST collected on that and then even more GST. We abolish the GST fullstop.

Then halve the surcharge, bringing petrol prices down to a level we can cope with.

Wouldnt surprise me if the prices of old rollas started booming with their fuel efficiency and everybody wanting one.

Think that petrol is $1.54.. take 13c from the GST then another 20 from the surcharge that the government embezzles instead of spending on roads and other transport measures.

Then your back on $1.20Ltr. People can cope with that. The government still pockets a sizeable amount of money and we have a bit less pressure, thus helping slightly lower inflation rates and making the world a better place..

My mum and I can solve the problems of the world at the kitchen bench :bash:

$1 is fine. Though this over board stuff is getting a little stupid. If we all did the not buy fuel day, it would need to be at least for a week or 2, and a lot more petrol stations etc.

Or, start riots, smash some shit, graffiti some stations and message might come across sooner or later.

Viva le Revolution? :dance:

man we paid $1.55 for regular today.. ahhh..

Cost $94 to completely fill the commonwhore. I remember for that kinda money you could get three tanks and have change left over

• 2 weeks later...

From my understanding, our fuel prices, are dictated by the global cost of oil. Say the global price is $130 a barrel and the oil produced in our region costs $70 per barrel, they have to sell it for $130 because if they don't, other countries (like China) will buy it and we face fuel shortages, which will make things even worse (i.e: fuel rationing). At the end of the day, the government wont do shit about the fuel excise/gst attachment to petrol. They don't want to slow down their cashflow. When the value of the US dollar picks up, expect to pay $2 a litre.

Theres fuel protests going on all over the world right now I think it would be a very smart to start stockpiling fuel. It has a lifespan of 1 year if you store it in a cool dark place. Theres also additives that will allow you to store it for 2 years.

You don't stockpile fuel, you stockpile crude oil. There isn't an oil shortage currently (have you stopped to a servo that doesn't have any fuel?). The problem is people trading on the futures market. The media makes up some story and the futures trade accordingly. Surprisingly it isn't supply and demand dictating the price currently.

And the fuel excise... Do you think its cheap to build a road and then maintain it? Or would you prefer cheap fuel and dirt highways everywhere? Honestly people, do you think the excise is going into someones back pocket? And what happens if you suddenly drop 50c/litre off the fuel price? Now inflation is out of control again and the money has to be taken out of the economy via interest rates again. So even if they did by some miracle drop the fuel excise, like it or not, you're still going to be out of pocket somewhere else.

Personally I think rising fuel prices are the best thing that could have happened to this world.

Yeah.. Sadly enough.. this fuel price problem could be solved VERY easily.

Haha. Sure. :lolcry:

And the fuel excise... Do you think its cheap to build a road and then maintain it?.....

Personally I think rising fuel prices are the best thing that could have happened to this world.

Bingo. Or if we drop the excise, fine. But could you please pay more income tax? Perhaps an annual tax levy scaled depending on the number and type of cars you own? Thank you come again haha.

• 2 weeks later...

Spotted diesel in Sydney for $1.93 yesterday, supposedly a 'cheap' day. That's where regular unleaded is heading.

If you must boycott the 'Big Four' then go to the independents, support the little guys. Most of the time you'll find them to be a little cheaper and the quality is the same, the threats about dodgy fuel are scare tactics from the majors.