Rollaclub.com Suggestion Box

irokin

thanks for your efforts guys.

I'm happy to help out with the FAQ editing/fixing. i spend far to much time browsing rollaclub to not be of any use. and i guess that would also lead into the introduction thing also.

also in response to Raven:

personally myself I'm a little hesitant to upload photos of my own car to the rollaclub server (or any forum server), i prefer to use such things as photo bucket. just so i can pull them down easier, and then any links to them on other forums will be taken down too...maybe I'm a little paranoid.

maybe it would be ok for forsale threads, since you are trying to get rid of said car anyway.....

its a hard one to judge though, as you don't get photos in the trading post, yet they still manage to function. i guess its more of people will expect photos given the ease that it can be done on the interwebs, so why not just make it mandatory.

or there are so many people that arent actually intersted in buying the car, they just want to see photos....

on the other hand, if people don't provide a good enough advertisement they are only hurting their own sale, and thus i shouldnt care at all, but it would be nice to see a high standard of advertisements across the forum. (maybe?)

i am amazed that so much time is spent moderating the for sale section, you would think we could function quite well at buying/selling stuff without making a fuss....

Members dont see this ad

or there are so many people that arent actually intersted in buying the car, they just want to see photos....

I tend to be a bit like that. Not really interested in buying what ever car but i'd sure be interested in checking out the photos.

A tire kicker one might call it.

i am amazed that so much time is spent moderating the for sale section, you would think we could function quite well at buying/selling stuff without making a fuss....

I'm not surprised with the amount of time the mods spend in the sale section. Just have a trawl through and see how many tools are there with bits missing from their adds, like location, price not too mention some double up on threads.

Maybe have a bit of "self-moderating"

Or unleash the seniors on the market place :lol:

and let them do a bit of housework (self-moderating), less work for the mods.

my suggestion is get rid of the mobile site, i hate it and it annoys the crap out of me when you can't upload pics or quote what people say, it's just annoying please delete it :D

You realise there's a link down the bottom to turn it off don't you? Definitely wont be deleting it!

While on the thing of the mobile site. If your thinking of downloading a copy of Opera mobile - Don't, don't even bother.

I had to start off in viewing the forum as a full page and then change it to the mobile setting to change pages, back to the full page and then back to the mobile setting to write something which didn't even bloody work in the end.

Painful to say the least.

Stick with the android browser if thats what you have.

Unless you can get the firefox version (read its better) but you'll have to have android 2.0 or higher on the phone. Sucks cause i'm stuck with 1.6

Edit - i'm typing this on the main computer

Edited by towe001

yeah i do realise that but it doesn't turn it off it just reloads the mobile site, it used to disable it and work till i re loaded the site again then i'd have to disable it everytime, maybe just add a photo uploading part into the mobile site please??????

Cause i don't have the net at home and i use my phone everytime i get onto here and everything else

It'll probably be easier to just make the nomobile script work for your phone. Works on both the iphone browsers but I don't have any other smartphones to test with. What phone/browser is it? PM if you need to. I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work for any browser though, just make sure you're logged in before you disable it and it should stick.

I've been getting on the forum a bit on my thing (Garmin-Asus Nuvifone A50 android 1.6) just on the android browser. Seams ok but i clicked on the disable button last night to see what it was like and the button went missing. The only way to get it to change back was of wiping the whole browser's history of rollaclub.

Reading the forum on Opera absolutely sucks the big one. In mobile format you get everything listed and i mean everything. Switch it over to the normal format (eg desktop) its a lot easier to navigate, but, you can't click on a link unless its changed back to the mobile format. Its also the same thing with making a reply, has to be changed to the mobile format but the then the "post" button doesn't work. This is all done through the Opera settings - the forum button disappears on the opera browser.

There's a couple of other android browsers that i'm thinking of trying out as well.

But i was really hoping or wanting to use the firefox version cause i would have been able to sync all my links over

I'm on a htc desire running the latest android 2.2 and the non mobile site works fine. loads really fast over 3g/high speed phone coverage.

it also worked fine when i was on 2.1.

oh and this is just with the standard android browser, i have found no reason to install anything else yet.

i just have to click the "disable mobile site" when i first browse to the site...not such a big deal.

though i don't browse much on phone anyway, as if I'm at work I'm next to a pc, if I'm at home I'm next to a pc.

i'm using an e63 and i would have no idea what browser it's using i'd say just the one it comes with, but occasionally the disable mobile site link doesn't work, i don't know if it's just my phone or it's the actual link, but i tried it again today and it worked, so maybe it's my phone not sure mate,

Dave the reason I use my phone is because I get like 500mb free when I recharge and I can never use it on my phone, plus i don't have the net at home

I have no problem with clicking the disable mobile site link, but just when ya press it ten times and it doesn't work people usuall get the shits lol :P

Like I said when I added the disable mobile site button, the main site isn't designed to be handled by mobiles (hence the mobile site). If it works for you, great. If it doesn't well thats unfortunate but it isn't going to change. Often mobile browsers don't have the same capabilities as desktop browsers and as Rollaclubs intended to be viewed on a full desktop browser I can't let the shortcomings of mobile browsers hold back the main site. Most fairly powerful smartphones (iOS 3+ Safari & Opera mini, Android 1.5+ default browser are the ones I've done basic testing with) should be capable of browsing the full site relatively well.

Now, the reason the disable button wouldn't be working for you will be something to do with the way your phone handles the session cookies. The session ID stored by your browser is tied to a database entry. Stored in the database entry is your browser type. When you click the "Disable mobile site" button it changes the browser type stored in the database so that the full version is shown. If your browser discards the session cookie the software has to determine what type of browser you're using again and you lose the full version. TL;DR if you hit the button and it reverts straight back to the mobile version your browser isn't storing the session cookie. This is a client side problem and you need to either change your settings so that session cookies are stored correctly or change to a browser that is capable of handling them correctly.

Trev: I might and add a button with the other few underneath the avatar.

Still looking for more people to help out with the wiki and/or introduction.