Rollaclub.com Suggestion Box

irokin

Yeah, raven id have to disagree with you on that stuff. lol. I'm all for how it is working atm :y:

When you're busy sourcing dash pads for people, chasing money, chasing postage details etc and forget who you've sent messages too, it makes it a tad frustrating, thats all.

By automatically placing a copy in the sent items folder, I can then go and check back to see what I've said to who and when.

Ticking a box is a pain in the ass to be honest, as I for one forget to do that.

Maybe create an option to automatically save to the sent items folder when a message is submitted, so people can turn the feature on or off instead.

That way its under your options and it can operate two different ways, that way, keeping everyone happy.

Ease of use is a plus in my eyes, as I use email every day at work and it operates the way I've mentioned (except the the auto delete).

The auto delete was just myself taking into consideration the server space that would be used, but if you have a heap of space to burn, then don't script in the auto delete :D

Edited by Raven

Members dont see this ad

I'd be for the auto save but against the auto delete. I so understand where your coming from. When selling parts it bugs me to tears when my quote gets deleted. Then you don't hear from them for weeks and when they finally send another message you are meant to remember what you quoted.

If you want me to turn on auto save sent (will be a global default, no option. If you want it off you'll have to do it on each one) I will have to reduce PM box space for everyone to encourage good housekeeping. Your call.

Other suggestions r.e. PMs at this stage are a bit too heavy coding wise. I know it seems simple but when you see the code and database changes needed behind the scenes its quite huge. Yep even the forward/back button unfortunatly. I will have a look at the new version of the software which is in beta at the moment and see what it adds to the PM area.

• 1 month later...

Some other sites have a requirement that you are an active member with a certain no. of posts before you can advertise in the for sale areas.

This would stop the no. of people who join here solely to sell their wares for free.

Has this been given some thought??

I thought it might stop some of the people who come on here, post up their things for sale with no regard to the for sale area rules due to the fact they haven't been registered for more than 15 minutes, then their post gets locked or deleted and they start another one, or four. I have seen one new member lately who has started about 3 posts for the same car sale as he still cannot work out how to use the for sale area properly. It grinds my gears. Also, they do not contribute to the site in any other way other than sell stuff for free.

The flipside to this I guess is people will just spam threads til their thread count gets high enough so they can sell items which is probably worse for Admin. :P

Any thoughts or is this just too hard to manage??

Yea, I think there should be a time limit and minimum post count myself.

Shits me the dumb f@$ks that can't read and abide by the rules bumping forsale threads too often. Expect to see your For Sale thread simply disappear with no excuse if you can't make the effort to do the right thing.

Yea, I think there should be a time limit and minimum post count myself.

Shits me the dumb f@$ks that can't read and abide by the rules bumping forsale threads too often. Expect to see your For Sale thread simply disappear with no excuse if you can't make the effort to do the right thing.

I guess if they have to spend longer here they will learn the rules prior to putting up their for sale ad.

Also stops people who have nothing to contribute to the site other then their sale item from coming here.

I'm pretty well much the same. I also tend to look at the post count as well to see how much of a contribution they've made to the forum and at times see what they've made and go from there...

In a way it'd be good if the reply buttons could be, say, turned off for the "no bumping" time limit and have a PM button instead during the enforced time limit. Sure it'd be a pain in the arse in more then one way, but when you think of the amount of people, as well as the threads "owner" coming on to the thread and bumping it up to the top again. And if there's something that was forgotten, it's called the "edit" button.

OK, I'm able to report the PM system in 3.0.0 is much improved. Instead of treating PMs like individual emails it treats PMs as private threads. You can invite a number of other users to participate in the PM and keeps a full history of all the messages that are part of that PM thread. It doesn't have a forward/back button but I don't think that will be so much of an issue with the new system. Currently the new version has just hit release candidate stage (3 days ago) so we could expect to upgrade in a few months.

Regarding minimum post count to use the for sale area. We trialed this in the past and it had some rather bad side effects. We had the people who couldn't be arsed posting X times to get the minimum so they'd just post their for sale item anywhere with a line something like "I'm not sure if this is the right area (bullshit) could a mod move it if it isnt". Of course it isn't the right bloody area and they know it. Then you have the people that will post X times but they post utter shit. Say the minimum is 10 posts and we have 10 people sign up just to use the for sale area in one week. That's 100 rubbish posts that we don't currently have to deal with. Currently we have about 50+ registrations per week and I'm not sure how many are here solely to advertise in the for sale area but I don't think 10 per week is an unrealistic number.

As it stands it doesn't bother me that people come to advertise and then may never be seen again. It means more potential items for members to buy, attracts other members through google search and can generate long term members.

That said, because we don't have a minimum post count we have to be absolutely brutal in the moderation of the for sale area. Some don't like it and that's fine but the rules are very very simple to follow and if you can't be bothered spending the time to follow them then we can't be bothered giving you the ability to advertise here.

Regarding minimum post count to use the for sale area. We trialed this in the past and it had some rather bad side effects. We had the people who couldn't be arsed posting X times to get the minimum so they'd just post their for sale item anywhere with a line something like "I'm not sure if this is the right area (bullshit) could a mod move it if it isnt". Of course it isn't the right bloody area and they know it. Then you have the people that will post X times but they post utter shit. Say the minimum is 10 posts and we have 10 people sign up just to use the for sale area in one week. That's 100 rubbish posts that we don't currently have to deal with. Currently we have about 50+ registrations per week and I'm not sure how many are here solely to advertise in the for sale area but I don't think 10 per week is an unrealistic number.

Yeah fairs fair i guess. I've seen the type postings you've said about.

But how about the idea i suggested, to stop people from bumping their thread back to the top by replacing the reply buttons with an edit button for the threads "owner" and a PM button for others. It sounds draconian, but its a two fold idea - it enforces people to observe the 5 day rule and it also gives you guys a little bit more time up your sleeves to do something better

OK, I'm able to report the PM system in 3.0.0 is much improved. Instead of treating PMs like individual emails it treats PMs as private threads. You can invite a number of other users to participate in the PM and keeps a full history of all the messages that are part of that PM thread. It doesn't have a forward/back button but I don't think that will be so much of an issue with the new system. Currently the new version has just hit release candidate stage (3 days ago) so we could expect to upgrade in a few months.

As it stands it doesn't bother me that people come to advertise and then may never be seen again. It means more potential items for members to buy, attracts other members through google search and can generate long term members.

That said, because we don't have a minimum post count we have to be absolutely brutal in the moderation of the for sale area. Some don't like it and that's fine but the rules are very very simple to follow and if you can't be bothered spending the time to follow them then we can't be bothered giving you the ability to advertise here.

Well put, most things I hadn't thought of either.

I guess upping the post count will just equal more spammy posts to get counts up which is more work. :)

Yeah fairs fair i guess. I've seen the type postings you've said about.

But how about the idea i suggested, to stop people from bumping their thread back to the top by replacing the reply buttons with an edit button for the threads "owner" and a PM button for others. It sounds draconian, but its a two fold idea - it enforces people to observe the 5 day rule and it also gives you guys a little bit more time up your sleeves to do something better

What I could do is set the "Order topics by" to creation date essentially removing thread bumping all together. Individual users can return to the current ordering by changing the order in the forum view down the very bottom if they so desire. Ideally that would be combined with a Linear+ thread view.

The other alternative is to turn off thread replies all together. We provide a very generous PM box space so its entirely feasable for people to communicate that way.

Its up to you guys who use the for sale forums. If you think turning off thread bumping would be desirable the option is always there.

What I could do is set the "Order topics by" to creation date essentially removing thread bumping all together. Individual users can return to the current ordering by changing the order in the forum view down the very bottom if they so desire. Ideally that would be combined with a Linear+ thread view.

The other alternative is to turn off thread replies all together. We provide a very generous PM box space so its entirely feasable for people to communicate that way.

Its up to you guys who use the for sale forums. If you think turning off thread bumping would be desirable the option is always there.

I have observed the 'no thread bumping' in a classified section on another forum. All that happens there is the person waits until the topic reaches the next page (sometimes not even that long) and then creates another topic for the same item, putting them back at the top. All this does is create multiple topics for the same item, taking up more space on the forum. Sometimes you will see the same car/item for sale 3 times on the first page. The moderators on that forum obviously did it so they did not have to moderate the classifieds section as it goes largely unmoderated in that section.

Turning off thread replies all together seems to be the best option, keeps the bullcrap posts out of people's sale threads. Again though I wonder whether people will just create another topic once it reaches the second page. Also, an individual item will fall to the third page (and beyond) quite quickly, and what would be the rules regarding timeframes to starting a new topic for the item.

I know for sure that I rarely look past the first two pages for sale items. Maybe I am missing out on some good deals, maybe not :)

• 3 months later...

Hey,

When I'm reading some thread about something and everyone jumps on it, I sometimes get confused as to who started the thread in the first place. I have to go to the first page and look who started it. Maybe an idea would be to have the topic starter in the window description. EG. "Rollaclub.com Suggestion Box - By irokin"

Cheers, Johno :jamie: