Ke70, True 1982 Timewarp. Check It Out!

Ben-89

Not a great deal of an update, but as some of the Melb R.C blokes know I had an issue with the starter on the ae92. The problem was there since I bought it though it was more of a pain to put up with over the 5 or so months as it wouldnt start the first time most of the time but would kick over with the second turn of the key.

Trying to pull a starter out of one these is a nightmare :bash: very limited room unlike on the ae82s. Anywho after several attempts at pick a part I gave up so dropped the car at an autolec. He rings back later and tells me armetur? inside is the cause and is beyond repair and they don't have a spare around the back :( Luckily in Fawkener there is one bloke who dismantles these little pocket rockets so $45.00 later I had a good condition starter to give to the autolec to inspect and refresh.

Picked the car up today and was told the $45.00 starter I gave was quite good to begin with so giving it a refresh was quite better. This starter seems to kick over much, much faster as well :) money well spent knowing A it will start, and B not be an embarrasing moment when people look around and see you laboring your car!

Ive got the old starter at home so its a little more to add to the scrap metal :y: With all the cars ive had they've all had louvres and this was no exception, thanks to CorollaParts69 I got myself a hatchback louvre. Preety hard to find but worth the search. Gave it the royal treatment so it looks schmick.

Next is the topping up of the a/c system as its not blowing cold enough. Then the body work!

Few updated pics in current street trim. Before handing the keys back the autolec asked if I was interested in selling it.

CopyofS5004446.jpg

S5004448.jpg

Edited by "The Mint KE70"

Members dont see this ad
  • 4 weeks later...

Time for an update, the car has the windscreen out and is at the panelbeaters. A big thanks go out to Wizard Windscreens who are based in Hoppers Crossing who travelled an hour out to pull out the window. I chose these guys as they install a new rubber seal (1 piece) that goes around the screen, as opposed to the 3 piece trims which caused this rust in the first place. So once the car is repaired they will come back and install the window :) The windscreen in my area "Just put back in the old trim with new sealer".

The rust was isolated to two areas above the windscreen, down the a pillars in the inch deep window recess there was slight oxydisation but no scaling or bubbling. Preety good for an ae92 anyway :) I thought i'd grab a few photos just to show the progress, there was a small dent on the roof which was pulled out filled and smoothed and lastly two superficial blisters under the glass on each corner of the tailgate. Cause- accumilation of dust, debris and moisture unable to escape due the tight fitting window trim, so I shaved 5 mm off the whole length so it now drains perfectly!

Before handing over the car I removed what I could, which consisted of the tailgate garnish which had a lot of hidden rubbish under there! Rain channel trims which was very clean under there and lastly the window wipers and scuttle panel above the plenum chamber. For the plenum I used a paint brush, vacuum cleaner and a hot bucket of water with a cloth and removed a fair bit of stuff from there before hitting it with some spary on body deadener :y:

Photo time.

Dent removal on the roof.

S5004483.jpg

S5004492.jpg

Repairing/finishing above the windscreen. Black window sealer ws removed after photo).

S5004480.jpg

Close up

S5004482.jpg

Cleaning up all the sealer and any scaling, came up overrated after wards.

S5004487.jpg

S5004485.jpg

After grinding away the remaining sealer and what not, the die grinder was used in all the tight corners (top of the windscreen recess') and bottom of the a pillars where the scale was.

S5004481.jpg

S5004484.jpg

Once the top of the windscreen was cleaned, it was masked and coated in sealer.

S5004489.jpg

S5004490.jpg

After the sealing the area was masked off and primed and lastly guide coated.

S5004491.jpg

Update: Mich the panelbeater phoned my this morning to tell me the car was painted and ready

for the window to be installed. So on Monday Wizard Windscreens are coming back to put in the new glass and seal. I went to down to put some new wiper inserts in the arms and had a good look over the car.

The finish is perfect and flawless to be honest, the two rust blisters on th tailgate corners are no longer, Mick said he gave it a little extra paint under that tailgate glass

(nice and thick) to keep everything clean and sealed. The dent you couldnt even pick it if you tried and the front windscreen area is great. Again, cleaned up, prepped, repaired and given a thick coat of paint before blending it on the a pillars whole roof and tailgate.

The car could be washed straight away so maybe a day or two after the screen is put in i'll wash it so the windscreen settles etc. I'll lay the pinstripes and graphics and by the Friday I can give it a good, good wax :wink:

Pics..

S5004493.jpg

S5004495.jpg

S5004494.jpg

Everything is all done, so its sealed choc a block around the window and its sealed :wink:

Very happy with the finish as its much neater, was a little bit of a pain installing rain channel trims particularly on the LHS but its on there even if a little dented in places. I'll replace it when I go to pick a part next :y: Drivers side was a delight to put on.

All tailgate trims are back on, there is plenty of paint there so its got good protection.

Scuttle panel went in easily along with the window wipers. Next is giving it a bath, possibly tomorrow or wednesday. I have also been playing around with pinstriping also...

S5004503.jpg

S5004502.jpg

S5004506.jpg

You're a perfectionist and a machine, so much inspiration to do things the right way!

Thanks for the compliments gentlemen. Sam you got it right I am a perfectionist even if I keep things standard especially on an ae92! :blush: But do it once and do it properly will save you a lot time and money in the long run :y: If it gives you the buzz to put 100% into the 55 then it will definetley be a headturner :y:

Had a productive afternoon with this, yesterday went with dad over to Pick a Part to pick up left hand rain channel trim and other bits and pieces. It is much much easier installing with two people as the likelyhood of it buckling is virtually nill. So it was a win!

Then today I finally gave it a bath, now foolishly before I took off the wipers I didnt label them. So it was trickly when re installing them. Yes I did have them on the wrong way but after checking out a few other ae92s I realised the longer wiper blade stays on the drivers side and the shorter on the passenger side. So swapped them over and when soaping up the windscreen I gave them a test and they sweeped properly :y:

After a few hours passed and the car was dried off I masked up the front bar (the black part) as it had a fine white overspray. It was gloss black which never blended well with the other black plastics, So it was a good oppurtunity for me to give it a few proper coats of satin black which came very close to the original grain and colour of the surrounding black areas :)

Then I began the process of laying the pinstripes, its so much easier laying them when you have a pressing in the panels to follow! 40 mins later and the car was done, then it was the graphics turn which involved a little tweaking but made for a fresh appearance none the less.

Front guard completed.

S5004512.jpg

RH side completed.

S5004513.jpg

1/2 way the LH side.

S5004517.jpg