Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Air Cleaner Troubles

Featured Replies

Hey guys, just keen to know if anyone else has this problem?

I think my engine shakes alot and doesn't like my air cleaner. The engine has shaken 2 air cleaners out of my bay when driving. Once it took the threaded pole out of the carbie, the second time it left it in. I was told to get some sort of lock tight glue to stick on the thread to lock it in. Well i lifted the bonnet last night to find the engine has shaken off the 3rd cleaner. But this time the pole has snapped.

Anyone else have this problem? Is my engine shaking too much? How do i stop it?

  • Author

Its an aftermarket chromie with the standard threaded bar thingo.

 

I know that if i'm stationary and i rev my engine the whole front end shakes. Looks real tough. Plus one of the engine mounts is missing a bolt.

 

Could all these be contributing factors?

yea locktite stops it from undoing, not sure about breaking off though

 

yea you need to stop your engine shaking, get some new mounts for it, i have second hand ones for a 4k for a ke70, pm me if thats what your after

 

Travis

  • Author

Its shakes the spark plug cables off. Then shakes the oil out. Then shakes the cleaner off. Then shakes some oil into the carbie :'(

 

I think its a vibration type of shake.

 

I ordered some mounts this arvo. The guy said I'd need to replace the gearbox mounts too. They should be here Monday. I'm sick of leaking expensive oil. But if your gonna leak oil, you might as well do it properly.

f@$ken hell, that aint right..

 

yes its good to have both sides bolted down!

 

another option would be to use a normal type nut do it up tight then screw the wing nut ontop.

 

make sure that it is infact running on all cylinders. also if its idling very low it will shake idle should be about 800-900rpm.

  • Author

The entire car is phucked. I really need to sell one or two of my projects just to get it mechanically up to scratch. I need to spend around a grand to get my brakes to where I want them. Then around $400 to $800 on the carbie. The engine leaks too. A lot. I think this is one issue but it leaks from somewhere else when stationary.

 

I just can't believe that it snapped that rod!! Its crazy. I'll try maybe tomorrow arvo to lift the engine and stick the missing mount bolt in. Hopefully that would steady it. Then monday change them all.

The entire car is phucked. I really need to sell one or two of my projects just to get it mechanically up to scratch. I need to spend around a grand to get my brakes to where I want them. Then around $400 to $800 on the carbie. The engine leaks too. A lot. I think this is one issue but it leaks from somewhere else when stationary.

 

I just can't believe that it snapped that rod!! Its crazy. I'll try maybe tomorrow arvo to lift the engine and stick the missing mount bolt in. Hopefully that would steady it. Then monday change them all.

 

Anytime you want to get rid of any decent condition parts, you know who to contact :'( You could also have a misbalanced tailshaft and a dodgy gearbox mount (as I found my housemates does), which contributes to a LOT of engine shaking.

Bah don't worry about buying another mount couple zip ties will do it :'(

You could try a high tensile threaded rod but then you're likely to snap something else off. You should give a standard air cleaner a go. Most of the corolla ones I've seen come with an extra bracket to the manifold to support itself. Something tells me Toyota designers were expecting quite a bit of engine vibration.

the lower plate of your air cleaner should be hubcentric with the carbie ring. this will at least prevent the air cleaner sliding around on the carbie, which is probably why the bolt breaks,

 

either that, or you get massive torque lift from the broken mount, and the cleaner is hitting the bonnet :'(

 

good luck :P

 

-dave

  • Author

geh! Air Cleaners are over rated. I just lost another this morning on the way to work. I only just fixed it yesterday. :'(

I'll be buying number 4 today.

hey mate check all your vaccuum lines to the carby...

ince i put one on the wrong bit or forgot to have one on or something and the motor vibrated like crazy!

i too thought it was mounts but was only a hose!

 

have a fiddle!!

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.