Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Water Temperature Gauge Questions

Featured Replies

As I am near fully rebuilding a 5k I DO NOT want to overheat and kill this one. (as what happened last time i think)

The 30 year old gauges just seem to work...most of the time, so I was wondering, in what way have other people overcome this problem.

 

I was thinking along the lines of an external (after market) water temperature gauge but I can't think of any ware i can mount it without it looking hideous.

 

Are there any other fancy ways to make sure my gauges ALLWAYS work, or any examples of after market gauges that you have done that look respectable (oldschool) i can look at?

 

Any help is appreciated :)

Doug.

Remove CD player (if you have one), get a DIN cutout mounted and you can fit three smaller gauges in there. I've done a couple of cars like this in the past and it's seemed to work fine for them.

the temperature sender must be in water/coolant to be accurate. if you split a radiator hose it will show cold after a few seconds.

  • Author
the temperature sender must be in water/coolant to be accurate. if you split a radiator hose it will show cold after a few seconds.

Not sure where your going with that?

 

And there is no way i am having three guages in my dash. I want it kinda hidden/looking stock, not in the middle of everything.

I took my tacko out and replaced it with the crappy clock that hardly works, if that makes it any clearer.

Not sure where your going with that?

If the radiator hose splits it may lose some water/coolant. So therefore the sender wont be in the water/coolant and will not give you an accurate reading. So the gauge would read cold but the engine could be overheating because there's no water in it from the split radiator hose.

  • Author
If the radiator hose splits it may lose some water/coolant. So therefore the sender wont be in the water/coolant and will not give you an accurate reading. So the gauge would read cold but the engine could be overheating because there's no water in it from the split radiator hose.

I am not trying to be rude but, I don't recall asking any question about that at all.

I did say any help appreciated though, so thanks :)

you could mount it in the glove box, I did that once, or on the parcel tray above the passengers feet.

 

Also If You are getting an aftermarket gauge be wary of the size of the sender, as the sender that came with my one and all of its adapters did not fit. So you will need to get an adapter that is the right size or find somewhere other than the stock temp gauge point to mount your sender.

 

hope that helps.

 

:)

VDO and Stewart Warner all make gauges that have a functional, understated and neat look. I hate all this silver face, enormous bezel crap that everyone sells these days.

 

 

vdo is a winner

 

excuse the dust....but this is my setup...most people think its stock!!

 

i want to get a oil pressure guage, and put it where the old temp guage is, not sure on the feasability of that yet...

 

guage.jpg

 

quite easy to do, just hack away at the back of the dash cluster with a pair of side cutters

the temperature sender must be in water/coolant to be accurate. if you split a radiator hose it will show cold after a few seconds.

 

Not sure where your going with that?

 

If the radiator hose splits it may lose some water/coolant. So therefore the sender wont be in the water/coolant and will not give you an accurate reading. So the gauge would read cold but the engine could be overheating because there's no water in it from the split radiator hose.

 

I am not trying to be rude but, I don't recall asking any question about that at all.

 

He was just trying to clear up something that you said you didn't undertsand!! Plus they are trying to give you added advice on what you've asked. Getting a guage itself to work properly is one thing, but if the sender isn't setup up correctly (ie have sufficient water around it) then the guage is never going to work properly!

  • Author
He was just trying to clear up something that you said you didn't undertsand!! Plus they are trying to give you added advice on what you've asked. Getting a guage itself to work properly is one thing, but if the sender isn't setup up correctly (ie have sufficient water around it) then the guage is never going to work properly!

 

I did say any help appreciated though, so thanks

It did to explain that the gauge is not the only thing that could be the problem.

And i have since followed up on it and realized that the sender it self that is in there at the moment does not work, and my guage seemed to work when i tested it.

So thank you AGAIN for the pointers. :lmao:

 

P.S i am getting all new/recom cooling parts to go with the recon 5k, so shouldnt hopfully have any other problems i guess.

 

Any other pics of gauges?

Sorry if i offended anyone

Cheers

Doug

  • 2 months later...
  • Author

.....why can't we be friends....

 

Bump, engine will be in sooon, any pics???

  • Author

WOWEE!

had a looksi at VDO and steward warner on the web, they look decent.

But I couldnt reely find prices so I went to see how much a VDO water temp sensor would be worth down at the local shooop, $120ish the gye said :y: thats gonna hurt. not sure what i am gonna do, might just go with oil presure a bit cheeper brand and hide it a bit under the glove box?

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.