The Ke30 Project Begins

lildvl83

thanks jip,

where did u get ur venetians from? i noticed u painted urs. are they from another 30?

My first set I bought second hand and painted. Second set I bought brand new from ebay and third was from the wreckers.

I would have to say that the ebay ones are great!!! Definitely worth the coin.

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hmmm....interesting. found out exhaust leak is from gasket for head to extractors. toyota (while it was gettin serviced) quoted around $250. rip off if u ask me

HOLY F*&K rip off ay. Id come round and do it for a carton of piss :y:

Although it might be the extractor flanges that are warped. I owned them originally and went thru a couple of people before young myles and eventually yourself ended up with them.

def rip off!!! took it to morphett vale exhaust and as he put it "the gasket was rooted" so he changed it over for $100 :P

sooooooo much better now, except it still sounds like a rotor cos the timing chain. so annoyed i can't drive it. it runs like shite. pretty much as soon as you take ya foot off the accelerator it stalls out even with the choke on full.

I miss driving her sooooo bad :hmm:

hopefully have her running right before this weekends cruise.

sumthing bout it should be 8-10 degrees as standard and it was advanced to 20 degrees. weird thing is though it ran a lil rough before service and tune (but not that noticeable), but now they put it back (aparantly to where it was when they got it) it runs like crap.

took it for a quick spin (to the end of the street and back) and now its making a squeling noise. sounds like fan belt squeal. so don't know if that now needs looking at or if the noise is from the timing chain. i know the chain rattles usually, so probably the fan belt. lucky fan belt is an easy fix.

alrighty peeps, i am having massive engine probs. the car is still off the road and has been at toyota for almost a week trying to fix it. :(

if anyone out there can tell me anything about the engine or problems it may have, it would be much appreciated. so i can pass this onto toyota, cos they are having trouble pinpointing the exact reason why it wont run properly. and for the amount of money i have spent on this engine so far getting fixed, i really don't wanna keep spending money on them looking for the problem.

so, unfortunately the rolla wont be coming on the cruise tomorrow, but i will still be coming in a 75 galant. so keep an eye out.

cheers guys!

alrighty peeps, i am having massive engine probs. the car is still off the road and has been at toyota for almost a week trying to fix it. :(

if anyone out there can tell me anything about the engine or problems it may have, it would be much appreciated. so i can pass this onto toyota, cos they are having trouble pinpointing the exact reason why it wont run properly. and for the amount of money i have spent on this engine so far getting fixed, i really don't wanna keep spending money on them looking for the problem.

so, unfortunately the rolla wont be coming on the cruise tomorrow, but i will still be coming in a 75 galant. so keep an eye out.

cheers guys!

Don't waste your Money at Toyota with a car that old. Take it to a older backyard mechanic.

yeah i know. it only went there to get service and tune, cos its close to home and my fiance can walk to there to pick/up drop off. but they picked up all these probs while it was there and havent had her back since. the only prob i/they def no of is the carby leaking and they want $350 to fix. no way am i paying that!! they have been told they are not to fix it.

but they are keepimg i til monday at least cos there are no mechanics there til then that know carbi motors. everyone there atm know efi's

This is myles old car yeh? with tallys old engine yeh ? the engine tally couldnt get to run right and then myles couldnt either ? if I'm wrong someone set me straight and no offense to the previous owners, but by the time the kids at toyota figure out it has no timming belt you would be better off with an older mechanic to look at it.

The price to have that carby rebuilt is crazy but we paid at my work 180 to have one rebuilt and billed the customer 400 so the dealer is required to make a profit its upto the customer to be aware of what they are paying for. The kit to buy would be about 45 dollars.

I would personally pull the car out of there and send it to your local more recommended professional. No offense to toyota as i work for them but its hard to find a mech in a dealership that gives two shits about a customers car.

Wasnt myles messing about with the timing chain last he had it ? maybe the camshaft isnt in sync with the crankshaft making the valves opening at the wrong timing which would cause all sorts of issues.

These engines are so easy to work on the 1st thing they should have done was set the valve clearances, spark plug gap,ignition dwell and point/contacts gap and a drop lean method to get the idle right. as well as checking for vacuum leaks from the exhaust/intake manifold gasket fitment or if its warped may need machining flat again as a set. brake booster holding vacuum ? base gaskets on carby sealing ? is the fuel pump diaphragm split or perished ? is the distributor timming to the camshaft correct the gears i mean as is with the camshaft in sync with the crankshaft ?

Ive probably missed something but its a start if i were sorting my own engine out if i didnt know its history.

Cheers hope this helps and doesnt confuse. Excuse spelling ive had 1 beer :(

forgot to mention that the extractors were warped and the work that i had paid for originally did shit all.

toyota had supposedly fixed this and the timing chain and were waiting to this morning to do a cold start to see how she went, and i was supposed to be picking it up today.

toyota rang this morning and said it didnt go well, that they attempted a test drive but could even get it upto 60kmh while the engine was cold, but once it was warmed up it ran fine ????? i had always put this down to being an older engine seeing as my first ke30 (3k) did the same thing.

guess i'll just have to wait til monday morning to find out :-(

i suppose its good that they just havent given up on it and told me to take it somewhere else. just a bit worried what the bill is gonna be when i pick her up!

+1 for older mechanic or sorting out an engine yourself.

I pieced together the engine thats now in my 30. Took everything out (apart from crank,rods and pistons) cleaned it all up and put it together.

Apart from a few hicups (leaky inspection plate and start button wiring) it fired up first go. Roughly timed it and havent had a problem since.

Have to accuratly time and adjust fuel settings and it will be just like a new one :)

finally got the rolla back today YAAAAYYY!!!! omg it drives sooo much better. i managed to get a good door trim from toyoland aswell, so pulled off an old one and sprayed it black as a tester before doing all of them. still got to get a good trim for the drivers door, u pull it has like 2 or 3 ke30s atm none with door trims, and toyoland only had the one good one :-(

heres a piccy of the practice door trim

post-7125-1238474569.jpg

OMG! they fixed it.

Nice to hear, hope the bill didnt scare you, i was just about to suggest dave hopkins auto repairs in hackham, once i had a talk to a few guys.

Did they give you a rundown of what the exactly had done to it ?

yes, lets just say the respray wont be as soon as i would have liked. the carby ended up being the problem, after they had fixed everything else ofcourse.

will keep the dave hopkins in hackham in mind for next time (i'm sure there will be one)