Bellhousing Swap

SLW42

Members dont see this ad
hay guys and gurls how hard is it to put an A series bellhousing on a K series 5 speed box??

and were can i get it done in qld

Anything can be achieveable at an engineering shop and some funds available, but id say if you already have an AE71 just get a T50 box from another AE71 it will be cheaper.

Ask a few AE71 drivers in your local area or even the local toyota wreckers they might be more helpful if all you want to do is get your car going again.

A K series box is a single piece bell housing and gearbox housing unlike the T series which is a three piece.

This means that No not easily can you adapt an A series bellhousing to a K series box. Unless you do a cut and shunt which will cost mega $$$, like previously stated even a second hand T50 would be cheaper.

Try this instead, if you have one T50 from an A Series, you can buy a T50 from a T series very cheap,(I keep them as spares for my rally car as they are chaper, I am unaware of any mechanical difference of power rating difference) the only difference is the bellhousing and rear connecting section which are interchangable between the A and T series T50 boxes. SO you can just swap your A housing from the existing box and just stick them on a T series T50 of which there are heaps floating around.

Hope this helps

A K series box is a single piece bell housing and gearbox housing unlike the T series which is a three piece.

This means that No not easily can you adapt an A series bellhousing to a K series box. Unless you do a cut and shunt which will cost mega $$$, like previously stated even a second hand T50 would be cheaper.

Try this instead, if you have one T50 from an A Series, you can buy a T50 from a T series very cheap,(I keep them as spares for my rally car as they are chaper, I am unaware of any mechanical difference of power rating difference) the only difference is the bellhousing and rear connecting section which are interchangable between the A and T series T50 boxes. SO you can just swap your A housing from the existing box and just stick them on a T series T50 of which there are heaps floating around.

Hope this helps

thank you very much mikey_m you hav saved me alot of time and $$$$

thank you very much mikey_m you hav saved me alot of time and $$$$

Umm,........and he may cause you some greif too!!!! :y:

What Mikey has told you there is not complete correct, although he slightly touched on the problem.

T series T50 (from TA22 and TE72) have a forward shifter position (like a ke30/55) and a 20 spline output shaft.

A series T50 (from AE71 and AE86) have a rear shifter position (like a ke70) and a 22 spline output shaft.

So if you were to put the T series T50 into an A series car you would need to change the spline on the tailshaft, and cut the hole in the trans tunnel further forward - possibly causing a world of greif with the lower dash!!

Alternatively - Track down another A series T50 and it'll bolt straight in with no extra work. :y:

Umm,........and he may cause you some greif too!!!! :y:

What Mikey has told you there is not complete correct, although he slightly touched on the problem.

T series T50 (from TA22 and TE72) have a forward shifter position (like a ke30/55) and a 20 spline output shaft.

A series T50 (from AE71 and AE86) have a rear shifter position (like a ke70) and a 22 spline output shaft.

So if you were to put the T series T50 into an A series car you would need to change the spline on the tailshaft, and cut the hole in the trans tunnel further forward - possibly causing a world of greif with the lower dash!!

Alternatively - Track down another A series T50 and it'll bolt straight in with no extra work. :y:

cuttin holes in stuff has never worried me :D thanks for the advice bud, so i would need a celica tailshaft aswell if i used the celica t50

TE72's have the 20 spline output, but have the rear shifter position, I mean they share the chassis as KE70 and AE71's and as such the same shifter position.

By far the easiest way to get a KE70 running with an A series motor is to get a K50 box from a Jap AE85. They still run a cable clutch so no messing around with pedal boxes etc. One of the sponsors on DC has one I think, although they wont take that much, might just survive with a stock 16v 4AGE.