Run On, 5k

Adio

Hey all I'm new to this so do your best not to give me shit, i just bought a ke20 with a 5k in it and sometimes when i turn my engine off its like it doesnt want to turn off, i've heard people call this "run on" i adjusted the timing which made it run smoother when i drive but didnt really stop the run on problem

suggestions?

Members dont see this ad

spark plugs fouled maybe. I've heard carbon build up can also cause run on. to clean it out without taking the head off you can spray a very fine mist of water over the carb and let it suck it in, theres some other liquid you can use but i can't remember.

Make sure the timing is set properly.

5K's probably had a solenoid on the carby to cut fuel when the ignition is turned off. I am guessing that if the 5K carb went in with the conversion, that this was never wired up. But that is more an extra safeguard.

I would check your timing first.

If it had a solenoid and wasn't wired up, it wouldn't start. You wouldn't use the energised stroke of a solenoid to cut fuel when the car is turned off.

I would say the timing is the first and easiest thing to do, then perhaps consider trying to adjust the carby tune, running too rich will cause run on as well.

And higher octane (premium) will improve it.

Before all the new boosted setup was done on my car, i ran twin su`s on my 5k and from the day it was tuned it ran on. But only after a bit of punishment. I tried every thing on the ignition side of things to fix it. Went back to the tuner and all we could think it was maybe a heat issue with the carbs. It only stopped running on when i put the efi on, none of the ignition past other than locking the advance on the dizzy were changed. This leads me to think its either a carb or fuel issue

"Might just be the nature of the beast" said the tuner.

Oh and i only used 98oct fuel. didnt help.

Good luck.

stu.

What is your idle speed? too high an idle, and it will want to keep running when the ignition is switched on (too much momentum of engine keeps drawing fuel in after ignition switched off).

Have you got any sources of unmetered air? eg vacuum leaks. spray a small amount of carby cleaner or similar on manifold between cylinder head and manifold and around base of carburettor. Check for freeplay in the throttle shafts and wear in the butterflies as well.

How much initial ignition timing advance are you running? what heat range spark plugs are you running? what fuel you use will also affect it. If the car is running correctly, it shouldn't idle without the cut off solenoid being energised. In my experience, these aren't usually the CAUSE of the problem, they can help the SYMPTOMS though.

lean mixtures and too high an idle speed are the two main causes of running on. Fairly rare to see something so carboned up that it runs on but it does happen too.

Go to your local subaru dealership, and buy a can of "Subaru Upper Engine Cleaner" and spray in the manifold, down the carburettor throats etc, let it sit a little bit, then spray it down the carburettor with the engine running after a few minutes. Wipe any extra off. This may improve the situation a bit as well.

Robert.