Commodore Questions (biased Opinions Not Needed)

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I had a VNII that was great. Looked after it, did a huge amount of k's in it, and it never let me down, with the exception of the fuel pump, but I will cop that as one of those things. Harmonic balancer went as well, and z bar bushes are about the first thing that goes in the suspension, as well as panhard bushes.

I also had a VSII Acclaim, and it must have been a friday arvo car, because it played merry hell with me. It was a dog.

As previously stated it's now hard to find one in good non trashed condition. IMHO go private and look for a one owner. You'll probably pay a premium for it, but it should be looked after, and if you do the same, it'll be a good reliable bus.

VS II is the pick of the bunch, although the airbag cover on the passenger side dash will be lifting and need to be sikaflexed back down.

Do not, under any circumstance, buy a VT. Just don't.

Good luck. :y:

Whats wrong with a VT? I thought you should buy a Vt if you got a bit more cash to spend on buying a commo rather than VS. :dance:

Don't worry guys I kinda wasted your time lol.

I bought a ED falcon tonight off a 60 year old man. It's low, tinted windows, clean as all hell. Recon trans and head, no leaks, duel fuel (2 year old tank), 200,000k's (not so bad), full service history and rego till june. It's a absolute find and a half for 2100. I'm inlove with it.

Only had to borrow 600 off my parents.

Will get pics tomorrow.

Came with a full tank of petty and half a tank of gas too.

Whats wrong with a VT? I thought you should buy a Vt if you got a bit more cash to spend on buying a commo rather than VS. :dance:

VS was the last in that line of GM's 'world car' platform... they finally managed to fix most of the bugs and refine the package.

The VT was bloated, badly built and the chassis was old before it was even released... they're a pig. Can't give the things away.

I've owned a few and put heaps through my little car brokerage business...

As above, points to look out for...

Pre-ecotec (VR) Death Rattle (timing chain/cam sprocket journals flogged)

VR/VS Harmonic balancer (they're all f@$ked, try to find one that has been replaced already cos they ain't cheap)

Odometer not working (they're all f@$ked)

a/c fan control resistor (they're also all f@$ked, and your fan won't work on 1 and 2)

HEAD GASKETS!!!! ALL GM V6's like to spit gaskets. ( I have done at least 4 in the last year) Check for milkshake under the oil cap

Radiator header tanks.... they're plastic, and rubbish. Brand new china spec replacement rad is $150 on evilbay.

Power steering leaks

Rack rattle

Transmission slip

Window seals shrink and leak

AC compressors are standard delco trash with the centre seal which perishes and leaks gas... don't believe anyone who says "It just needs regassing" It doesn't. The compressor is rooted and a new one is $$$.

Don't buy one that has been lowered. Every other suspension component will be flogged out as a consequence, and your rear bump stops will be missing.

Bailey channels work their way up and out of the runners, prick of a job to get them back in again.

Doors can sag... Adjust hinges with cold chisel and large floggerometer.

Oh and don't put a big exhaust on it... no matter what you do, it will still sound f@$king horrible.

VS II is the pick of the bunch, although the airbag cover on the passenger side dash will be lifting and need to be sikaflexed back down.

Do not, under any circumstance, buy a VT. Just don't.

Good luck. :dance:

You left out the sagging roof/hood lining.

I would only buy a commodore if it was either a SS or clubsport. Anything from VP upwards. Would love to get a Vt or Vx but i'm only dreaming.

I saw this wicked looking ba XR6 Turbo for sale, 19,900. Took it for a spin and it gave me goose bumps. Got a credit check and i was approved for the loan.. I don't know how i walked out of there without buying it but i don't like being in debt. Only 600 bucks a month for 5 years so yeah.. Bit too much for a fancy car.