Ke-70 Suspension

Mcrackn

Hey people,

I've searched lots but I'm really in need of some quick definite answers. I was planning to book my car into a suspension place, however they have said that I can't drop it lower than 1 and a half inches. I've got a 3 inch gap between the top of my tyre and the bottom of the wheel arch atm, and I am planning on rolling the guards so that the wheels will fit underneath. I've also measured under the car and I will still have heaps of clearance from the ground. Am I right in thinking that the camber, castor etc isn't adjustable in a ke-70 and that's why I can't get it that low? What parts would I need to make it possible, keeping in mind I want to keep the hubs I've got because I like my wheels. How much is it likely to cost me? Is anyone selling what I need? Is it going to be legal? It's not a daily driver so I'm after a stiffer ride, but don't want bumps stuffing up my back and I don't want it hitting the bumpstops. Would a 2 1/2 inch drop be a better idea? I don't think it will look any good any higher.

Please help me rolla experts :y:

Members dont see this ad
yes...

buy falcon springs cut em in half and then fine tune

you will need a pairt of sierra short stroke shocks to keep the springs captive

check out other peoples rides and you will see how low other peoples cars are

nah sierra shocks are rubbish, waaaayyyy to short! and hes only dropping 2.5" or whatever.

to thread starter: your gonna have to read more....

head over to ae86drivingclub.com, check out the tech articles

it depends how far you want to go, if you just want a bit lower, get some king springs and be done with it.

if you actually want decent suspension your goin to need short stroke shocks and springs all round. unfortunately ke70 front struts do not accomodate for short stroke shocks, so you need to upgrade them first.

front:

getting some ae86 complete struts will give you the ability to get some decent short stroke shocks, pluss you will get a slight upgrade. and your current wheels will fit on. ae86 will also allow you to get jdm vented discs and apropriate calipers for more brake upgrade (all this will bolt into your ke70 no problems)

get some decent shocks (brand new get the part number from ae86drivingclub tech articles) get some decent springs, from one of the sponsours around. research waht spring rate you think you will like, or find people to take you for a drive in their car so you get the idea.

you can go all out and buy some adjustable coilovers, but they are gonna cost ya, and might not be worth it if your not gonna be fiddling with the settings everyday.

while your up the front you can get a bit more camber by buying some longer control arms (some sort of corona i beilve) or do it 'properly' by aquiring some adjustable camber plates.

rear:

any sort of stiffer spring is good here, cut falcon AU springs work (that what i got). youll need some better shock absorbers too. there is a commondore shock part number 343113 that i use that is pretty good. short stroke and reasonable stiff.

youll need an adjustable pan hard rod as well so you can keep your diff in the middle.

thats about all you need for the rear to get you started

and your goin to have to cut your rear bump stops off.

good luck

Thanks for the input everyone who replied. I've been reading the tech articles on ae86dc all morning, got lots of info on there, trying to put it all together into something I understand. There's a list of stuff that will fit, but it doesn't really tell me what ride height to expect, looking at peoples rides and what they are using is helping a bit though. Also thanks for the detail in your post ke70dave, helped me a lot. Anyone got ae86 complete struts for sale? What price range am I looking at and should I look out for anything condition wise?

86 struts go for around $250 that includes the brakes and may or may not include the steering arms, then you have to buy springs & shocks, ajustable panhard rod to line up the diff, rca to get rid of bumpsteer

then you start thinking about getting a nice set of swaybars, ajustable camber tops, strut brace etc

for a cheap car they can become quite expensive...

condtion wise: struts are struts, not alot to them as long as they arent bent expect to pay few hundred bucks for complete struts with ADM disc (solid)/calipers. if the calipers are leaking a bit, a rebuild kit is prolly $80 or so.

if you look at my members ride thread (search ke70dave in the members car section) I'm running said shocks with the cut down falcons, my 195/50/r15 tyres are slightly tucked under the rear arches. i think lowest point on the car is bout 130/140mm...new exhaust might be a tad lower not sure.

also keep in mind that it is not the shocks that determine the ride height, it is the springs. the shocks just determine the extremeties that the ride height can travel. maximum and minimum compression/extension. so as long as the shocks are short enough to allow the wheels to move towards the car enough, but also long enough so that they can move away from the car (called "droop") then you should be fine. you don't want your shocks topping out on extension, or bottoming out on compression, or it will damage them and your car will handle like poo!

Some good information in here. :lolcry:

Anyone got ae86 complete struts for sale? What price range am I looking at and should I look out for anything condition wise?

I know of a mate with 86 struts and brakes, etc, pretty much whole package to go into your car for sale. He's in Tassie too so that'll help.

I've sent you a PM.

• 2 years later...

nah sierra shocks are rubbish, waaaayyyy to short! and hes only dropping 2.5" or whatever.

to thread starter: your gonna have to read more....

head over to ae86drivingclub.com, check out the tech articles

it depends how far you want to go, if you just want a bit lower, get some king springs and be done with it.

if you actually want decent suspension your goin to need short stroke shocks and springs all round. unfortunately ke70 front struts do not accomodate for short stroke shocks, so you need to upgrade them first.

front:

getting some ae86 complete struts will give you the ability to get some decent short stroke shocks, pluss you will get a slight upgrade. and your current wheels will fit on. ae86 will also allow you to get jdm vented discs and apropriate calipers for more brake upgrade (all this will bolt into your ke70 no problems)

get some decent shocks (brand new get the part number from ae86drivingclub tech articles) get some decent springs, from one of the sponsours around. research waht spring rate you think you will like, or find people to take you for a drive in their car so you get the idea.

you can go all out and buy some adjustable coilovers, but they are gonna cost ya, and might not be worth it if your not gonna be fiddling with the settings everyday.

while your up the front you can get a bit more camber by buying some longer control arms (some sort of corona i beilve) or do it 'properly' by aquiring some adjustable camber plates.

rear:

any sort of stiffer spring is good here, cut falcon AU springs work (that what i got). youll need some better shock absorbers too. there is a commondore shock part number 343113 that i use that is pretty good. short stroke and reasonable stiff.

youll need an adjustable pan hard rod as well so you can keep your diff in the middle.

thats about all you need for the rear to get you started

and your goin to have to cut your rear bump stops off.

good luck

What happens with Sierra shocks and ford springs, how are they to short??