Bent Chassis

rundell

Hey just wondering if a bent chassis could be fixed. I slammed my ke70 into a gutter on the left hand side and it hit the rim and the part on the front to tow it and have realised theres a crease in the chassis behind the strut. Was just wondering if anyone could help me with some advice in what to do with it? Or if theres a place in adelaide that could help me out.

Cheers Rundell

Members dont see this ad
yeh i no they gonna charge an arm and a leg but wondering if someone had ideas how i could do it myself

Not properly.

It may not be as expensive as you think. I've had it done a couple of times, although I was charged "rally" rates.

Ive done it once or twice with race cars, big chain, heavy set tree, and back/drive the car away in the direction needed.

Then get the porta-power in there (or simply a bottle jack if you need to) and press and bang till you get it straight enough.

I wouldnt exactly trust that sort of repair in a road car though.

It could be dangerous to do it yourself, with no experience or training or whatever. It's dangerous in the first place which is why not many panel beaters do it. Bend it in the wrong direction and it could snap or greatly weaken the chassis. My mum's bf who's a panel beater charged Tume about $500 I think to straighten his but I didn't see how bad it was damaged. It depends how much damage is done and where it is.

depending where the bend is, its also legal to cut and shut the chassis rail.

There is however a certain way to go about it (staggered cuts, extra prep work etc) but it is entirely legal (well last I checked it was in NSW)

But best bet for you it would seem, would be to go to a few panel beaters with some detailed photos and ask for quotes. Then make a decision.