Publica Ute....was It Ever Based On The Datto 1000??

PHATKE20S

1969 - 1973 KP/UP30 Publica

In 1969 Toyota released a whole new generation of the Publica. It had a new engine and a new image. While the 2U engine was retained in the cheapest versions, the cornerstone of the lineup was the new K Series 4-cylinder, water cooled 1000 cc engine (designated 2K).

The Publica SL was also launched in 1969, which featured a 1.1Litre K-B twin caburetor engine but in 1970 the engine was replaced with a 1.2L 3K-B. There was also an offical pickup version.

1970 saw more minor changes including (but not limited to) a new instrument panel, and a new High Deluxe version featuring the single-carburetor version of the 1.2 L engine and front disc brakes.

A more substantial facelift took place in 1972, when the KP30 Publica was given new front and rear fascias. The U-engine model was dropped, as the boxer engine could not clear emission standards anymore.

KP30 / UP30 Publica 2dr Sedan Specifications

Fuel type - Petrol

Cylinders - 4

Engine Capacity - 993cc

Power - 58 hp @ 6000rpm

Torque - 79 Nm @ 4000 rpm

Length - 3645 mm

Width - 1450 mm

Heigh - 1380 mm

Wheelbase - 2160 mm

Curb Weight - 695 KG

Seating capacity - 4

KP30 / UP30 Publica 2dr Wagon Specifications

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The above info was sourced from club-k.co.nz (Thankyou Guys)

From the info & pics I found on that site the KP30 Publica 2dr was based on a Datsun 1000 2dr Sedan

So I am thinking that they made a KP30 Publica Ute from a Datsun 1000 Ute....

I just like the idea of confusing people (& also added reliability) by cnverting my Datsun 1000 Ute to KP30 Publica Ute

Here is a pic of the Datsun awaiting the 'upgrades'.....

post-3246-1239449287_thumb.jpg

Edited by PHATKE20S

Members dont see this ad
just put the a12 from the 1200 ute in it, or the a14, theyre tough motors, just as good as the k motor.

the a series is in my opinion a stronger motor, i have driven all including 3k, 4k, a12, a14, a15 and theres just something about the a series. the k series feels like your driving with the handbrake on lol

i used to think the same thing with my mates 1200 ute when i would get out of my 4k ke70 and into his ute.

depends what the K motor is in, to get a real comparison you need to drive a 3/4/5 K series motor in something like a ke10 or ke20 to get even close to the same weight as the 1200.

1200 was only nudging 600 kg, ke70 was over 900.

but i wouldnt do all the work to go a K motor when an datsun a motor will bolt in

• 2 years later...

Haha mate everyone thinks my wagon is a datto. Basically any small old car, people think it's a datto.

BUT - I just saw your publica photo's on the front page.... Very interesting, but you realise you don't have a publica front end? It's a modified KE10/11 front end. Looks like they've done a good job. I'm guessing it got bent and they couldn't get replacement panels?