"slab" - The New, Better Daily

machg

Hey all, after an absolute shit-fight with towing, I am now the proud owner of a really good (compared to my usual buckets) Multi-coloured AE71 wagon. I sat down and actually wote a plan for this car. She will need to be inspected to get registration, so I am going to leave the 4ac in it, degrease,clean etc, do body work and paint (white "rollered" boat paint), fit the TRX rims with leagl 2nd hand tyres, change the diff centre (ROFLMAO at the thought of driving in to inspection bay with the weldy in place!) and fit the missing driveling components from "Jesus". At the same time; I am going to continue doing bits and pieces on "Jesus" with the turbo conversion, so as soon as "Slab" passes rego, she can have a heart transplant, lowering, weldy etc. etc. :) Pics later.

Edited by machg

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

P5040462.jpg - High roof goodness

P5040463.jpg - Rooted panels off

P5040464.jpg - Less rooted panels on

P5040465.jpg - Fortunately it came with another rad support panel to fix this

P5040466.jpg - Check out the weld quality, LOL

Latest: Complete 4ac front-end is out (4a, x member, struts) and hybrid x-member is installed. All good panels have been installed. This was quite a process. Murphys law with front quarter: Fitted panel - no door opening clearance, Went to re-hang door to find hinges were rooted, Went to fit TE71 ones to find out they don't fit, Spent quite a while fabricating sleeve to tighten up hinge, welded it up to find I'd put bracket on upside down, etc. etc. Looks all good now, minimal drop on door when opening too. Can anyone confirm: Ae71s and AE82s share the same external mirrors?

Cheers,

Mark

Edited by machg

Which AE82 mirrors? Seca or sedan? They vary between AE82 let alone fitting an AE71.

Seca, I used to have an AE82 Twinky and they look identical. Theory: AE82 ones are going to be easier to find and cheaper than AE71 items. (No "Poor-mans" Takumi Tax)

Oh yeah, that "Magic" DIY dent repair (heat with hair dryer, then hit with "Freeze" {CO2}) is a load of shit. I reckon the only dents it might work on are very large, but very shallow ones, and they can usually just be (carefully) pushed out with hand pressure.

Edited by machg

• 2 weeks later...

Update: All intercooler piping is done, I have the correct dump pipe now (thanks Jamie, UR a legend), all was going well until I attempted to swap some heater hoses around...and broke one of the pipes off, arrrrrrgh, bloody cars.

• 2 weeks later...

All major engine bay work is finished, T18 pedal box is fitted, put some oil in the diff. Was going to put the dodgy DIY EFI T18 tank into the AE71, but have decided to "do it properly" and invest in a lift pump, surge tank and external EFI pump.

Microtech is mounted and some wiring done, installed the 3TGTE injectors. To do: fuel pump (just external to start with), wiring the Microtech, put dash back together, a bit more bodywork and re-install bumpers. Paint can wait. Ho-hum, getting there slowly...

Edited by machg