"slab" - The New, Better Daily

machg

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Photo0060.jpg

Its a real shame to do this to a new K&N, but better than sucking shit into the engine

Photo0061.jpg

Wiring is done bar a couple of earths/body loom connections. Have gone with a VL external fuel pump drawing from standard tank and fuel pick-up. Have hopes of getting it running tomorrow...

Edited by machg

Well, its alive, but not running yet. She turned over on the key, but battery didn't have enough charge. Whacked it on the charger overnight, will tomorrow be the day it runs at last? Must remember to put coolant in!

Edited by machg

looking forward too seeing this run

So am I. Shit day, engine wouldn't turn over despite fully charged battery, any ideas? Starter solenoid f@$ked? Then went to bleed brakes and found a bleed nipple held in with thread tape, NOT HAPPY JAN. I am tempted to swap some wiring over from the T18 and see if that works, otherwise pull the starter motor out and get it checked (where?)

Mark

Have ya done the old tap tap on the side of the starter with spanner or hammer? Sometimes the brushes just need replacing.

Good idea, tried bumpstarting today and absolutely nothing, gonna need help, anyone? :y:

Ya getting there mate. Slowly but surely. Will all be worth it when the sucker fires up, especially knowing you did it all yourself.

You are right, it was all worth it, Thank God, ITS ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Car wouldn't turnover due to a bad earth. Talk about learning the hard way, when I attached the earth strap to the chassis rail I half stripped the mounting nut, so half tightened it. Bloody connection worked loose, didn't it. :) As soon as I re-attached the earth strap properly to another mounting point, voila, it turned over on the key straight away. Awesome, now I could check things like spark and injector opening. Popped out the plugs, no spark. Fart arsed around checking wiring, all looked OK. Still no spark, hmmmm. Thankfully I have a good mate (Wyane) who's a mechanic and I picked his brains and while clarifying the coil operation he said something about the coil needing a signal to know when to generate spark. Now there's a plug on the dissy which with the standard EFI connects to both sides of the coil and also plugs into the EFI loom to send a signal to the ECU. The Microtech doesn't need this signal, so I didn't connect the plug to join the dissy and coil. When Wayne said the thing about the coil needing a signal from somewhere to know when to make spark I thought "I wonder...." joined the plug on the dissy and hooked up the two wires to each side of the dissy and HEY PRESTO, it started instantly I turned the key! Checked all fluid levels and took it for a quick spin down the street. Goes very nicely, especially on boost. Will need to set timing so it doesn't ping itself to death. What do you guys reckon, about 5 degrees static advance be safe? I am thinking of leaving the vacuum advance connected, because when it comes on to boost the dissy shouldn't "see" vacuum anyway so should run no extra advance, just the standard 5 degrees. Thoughts? Will be running 95 octane, standard 2TGEU internals, standard 3TGTEU Turbo running standard boost, Microtech MT4 running a 3TGTEU map, series 4 RX7 top mount cooler front mounted and a 2 1/2 inch exhaust with a straight through muffler. Thanks for feedback guys, I would have chucked it in without your support.