"slab" - The New, Better Daily

machg

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking heaps better now. :(

:jamie: is damn right with the fuel consumption!!! Is that on PULP or BPU?

I have been running 95 ethanol, its cheap and it shouldn't ping as bad as 91. Car wouldn't start today, I think its just flooded, I am stressing a bit because I need it running for tune on Monday. Gonna pull and clean the plugs, unplug the injectors, turn it over to clear the cylinders. Hopefully it will then start. Thanks 36panvan, it has been a long project. I got an el-cheapo BOV and a couple of king springs from a mate today.

Edited by machg

looks heaps better with the wheels on mark, looks good at the height to, seen it around a bit lately, surprising what a quick coat of paint can do to a car, looked like the diff needed a bit of weldin coming out of work the other day haha

keep at it should be a weapon when its all sorted

looks heaps better with the wheels on mark, looks good at the height to, seen it around a bit lately, surprising what a quick coat of paint can do to a car, looked like the diff needed a bit of weldin coming out of work the other day haha

keep at it should be a weapon when its all sorted

Thanks mate, I am just about to give up with the bastard, won't start, suspect weak spark. Oh well, a qualified mechanic (Jonny) is coming tomorrow to do a tune, now he'll have to get it running first. LOL

Every now and then mine will fuel up and flood. Really easy way I get around it is to disconnect the trigger wire to the fuel pumps and wind it over. It'll slowly clear then start, let it die (from no fuel) re-connect the wire, re-start and off you go.

Might be worth a try. :)

Oh and see what its like on some BPU.

Thanks Si, Got Jonny to come around. He re-set some of the fuel points with a borrowed Microtech handset. We put some new plugs in and after a little cough, it fired. We hooked up his wideband AFR meter and we spent another hour tuning (both static and while driving) and the mixtures are heaps better now. It was previously dropping into single figures (on the AFR meter) now the lowest its sitting on 12-13s under boost, stoic at cruise and 15-20 on de-cell, so it should be using heaps less fuel, seems to go just as well, and it started cold this AM without too much cranking. Happy? :P For those interested; peak boost spiked at 9 psi, with max boost regularly hitting 6-7 psi, perfect. Appologies to the orange, two-tone, quad light fronted, KE70 that I (literally) smoked pulling away from the shoreline roundabout. Nothing personal, we were just checking the mixtures for full boost. ROFLMAO

"slab" gave me a scare this AM, died just before tasman bridge. I didn't insulated the wire going to the dash cluster for the tacho properly and it shorted out, stopping the coil from sparking. Thankfully I had a spare coil, and when I swapped the wires over it worked. Will the car ever be reliable? (Might be better now I have used proper terminal connectors for the dash wiring) Blew up the missus car yesterday. Not happy.

"slab" gave me a scare this AM, died just before tasman bridge. I didn't insulated the wire going to the dash cluster for the tacho properly and it shorted out, stopping the coil from sparking. Thankfully I had a spare coil, and when I swapped the wires over it worked. Will the car ever be reliable? (Might be better now I have used proper terminal connectors for the dash wiring)

At least it was an easy(ish) kind of fix....... And of course it'll be reliable, but only after you have replaced every component in the car at least once. :P

Blew up the missus car yesterday. Not happy.

Did it deserve it?

If I give you my missus' peugeot can you blow that up too!? :rock:

You'll know doubt have a few months of teething issues, just little things like that. Hopefully once they're fixed up once that'll be it.

You just reminded me of long night in Hobart once when I was 18 too. Ran out of fuel in the rolla (was stock then) half way accross the Bowen bridge......... at about 3 am. Took me nearly half an hour to push it rest of the way accross and rolled down the hill into Goodwood. Then had to spend another $50 on cab fairs to and from servo and buying a pertol can and fuel.

Long, expensive (for a pizza boy) and annoying night that was. :P

"slab" made it to oatlands (work) and back today, woo hoo. Only drama was exhaust leak (missing a nut off dump pipe), am very happy with how she went. Will need to do something about rear suspension, I am pretty sure it was hitting the bump stops in some of the corners, unintentional bump oversteer FTL :)

Hehe, gotta watch that accidental dori, can end badly if you're not 100% awake.....

Wouldn't have been around the spring hill area by chance?

And YAY for the car working properly! :)

Thanks mate, she is great fun to drive, if a bit hectic! The road that taxed the bump stops was Mud Walls Road (B31), that road is an absolute disgrace.

• 1 month later...

No real news, poor old "slab" has been renamed "Jo" at my daughters insistence and is being used as a daily driver by my wife. Is still going strong, but uses a little oil. A couple of issues that are a minor annoyance; standard exhaust nuts working loose causing exhaust (and boost leak) - have replaced most of then with "conelock" nuts, also the clutch is sticky, when you release the clutch pedal the pressure plate only releases about half way most of the time. Any clues as to why? Could it be because the new diff has a bit longer nose, putting pressure on the driveline? Cheers, Mark

Oh yeah, next time you complain about working on rollas, try working on a Hyundai Getz, what a bastard of an engine bay design, cracked the windscreen getting the engine out (the leading edge of the windscreen is unprotected and protrudes past the fire wall, who the hell designed this thing?!)

Edited by machg