New Clutch Plate

well Tony has decided to spend some much needed money on the rally car to make it faster,(i'm talking stage times).

so out came the old standard K50 box and we started to rebuild the T50, i ordered

the bearings while tony found all the parts that were lying around the workshop after the box was stripped 3-4 years ago and to his surprise we'd lost 5th gear syncro hub(f@$k).Rolla club came to the rescue and the rebuild was looking good until he went to find the clutch plate(20 spline)you guessed it, no were to be seen. sob so he decided to buy a new paddle clutch(clutch).

good move i thought,wrong!!! checked the clutch plate against the pressure plate and the centre was to big, apparently one model pressure plate has a small step in it and you have to machine the guts out of it to fit (spent all day on a lathe)but now it fits.

now the rebuilt gearbox(t-50)has better ratios and with the new paddle clutch the car should be .5 second per km quicker.

f@$ken lotta work for .5 second.

Members dont see this ad

I used a 2e clutch plate in one of my ke20 upright 4k fits straight in,in the supercharged 5k ive got a double diaphragmed pressure plate and trd clutch plate (theyre still available).I`ve run t50s behind my 1430 3k race starly but lap times are slower due to the weight penalty of the t50 in it being approx 11 kgs or so heavier,but in respect to a rally car its a more durable option and worthwhile if you want to go close ratio.Keep up the good work :P

That's a pretty clutch plate :P What sort of ratios are you running in the T50? I've recently changed my FD to a 4.77, and wow now the car so needs a closer ratio gearset, 1st gear is nonexistant and I can't even do 3rd gear at 100km/h... Gets there bloody quick tho! :)

yeah 5 seconds over 10k's is worth the grief, i knew the trd clutch plates were still available, but i wouldn't buy one from any dealer here, they all want way to much money for them.

the ratios for the T50 and the spare K50 are just standard,the T50 has slightly better ratios than the standard box, we do have a TRD close box there, but is no good for rallying, it's got a huge 1st and 2nd gear then 3-4-4 there's only a 500rpm drop,it'd be ok for the track.

the diff ratio is 5.1(TRD) with a VERY tight LSD(TRD).

hoping to have it going this afternoon.

jamie: its alright mate....i read every thing on here....it takes a while but i do it everynight cause i can't get enough info out of this place :P

my brother has already talked to the rep for exedy, and the rep said if i'm going to run the supercharger that i should go for a brass button 4 puck, like the one above. i aint telling the price of that one though.....hehehehehe its a secret. :)

Edited by Xany

Hmm, how much is a close ratio TRD box worth? :) And what are the ratios? I've been staring at the Albins gearsets for a bit and dreaming a lot :D

the gearkit at the time was $2500 nz dollars, :P it was brand new in 1989 and has only done 3 events.

1st-2.341

2nd-1.607

3rd-1.195

4th-1.1

5th-0.886

we were looking at the straight cut gearset from palmside for the T50.

maybe when we get prize money for rallying.

Nick:....yeah.....not sure on that yet......my brother is trying to steer me away from them while the rep is saying i need one if i'm running the supercharger....

dammit.....i got no idea what to go with, i'm thinking that if i get the organic clutch it not going to grip if i put the charger on......but then you can't slip a brass button.....and brass buttons don't last as long apparently.

but for street use....i can't really see the point in going to brass button....its not as if i'm going to be doing 7500rpm changes all the time.

while we are on the topic of gearboxes.....is there anywhere that does short throw t-50 gearshifters? i think i remember a link on here somewhere that did them but can't seem to find it.

Edited by Xany

yup.....atm in the car is a Exedy Heavy Duty Organic clutch.....i have not had one slippage with that....and it seems to be going fine....

i think thats what i'll go with again....

Unfortunately the design on the old T50 makes the short shifter actually not very straightforward to fabricate (it had Mr Wayne Daniels scratching his head for a bit). I like my short shifter, but you're right - sometimes it isn't all that bad having a bit of throw. I'm still getting used to mine, and sometimes fine myself crunching 2nd gear a little, or trying to go from 5th to reverse when I'm supposed to get to 4th...

Xany: when you come around you can have a look at the short shifters we have.

we have 2 TRD quick shifts here you can look at to give you an idea how to make one. they fit both early and late T-50's and K boxes.

(it had Mr Wayne Daniels scratching his head for a bit).

takes a bit to stump wayne!