Suspension... Everyone Has Already Asked!

tbo92

i would like that see some pics Evan cheers give me some ideas for my ke30

ill take some pics 2moro and ill offer you a ride aswell

Note - there is some fabricating work and i used custom made swaybar links :hmm:

Members dont see this ad
cheers ill try to get a pik of mine today o and c what u guys reck i can do to rectifiy my problem of no movement in the rear at al.

Get a spare leaf pack and have it professionally reset.......

And please, type in English....... That garbled pretend text language is somewhat unnecessary......

ill take some pics 2moro and ill offer you a ride aswell

Note - there is some fabricating work and i used custom made swaybar links :D

that would be awsome man really want my rolls lowerd but want to be able to coner good as possible to really need as much advice and info as possible and a ride in ur rolla sounds good to me neva been in anyone else ke30 before just a mates ke70 lol :D

ill get a pics when i get a chance,

i was planning,

ford eb spings

new front shocks

more leafs in the rear

sierra shocks in the rear

and dumping 3 inchs all round

but ive giving up lowering it as my rear sway bar is fitted ( and i don't wanna really f@$k with a car that some1 has looked after for almost 30 years and kept it in overrated condition)

I'm happy with the rear of the car as ive only got new shocker and fitted the eb rear sway bar

front could do with camber thats about it (sick of understeer)

In a nutshell (gross generalities follow!):

Don't arrange your macpherson strut front suspension so that your lower control arms go past flat - they point upwards for a very good reason.

The roll center for a macpherson strut is at a point where a line drawn along the lower control arm meets one drawn at right angles to the shock top mount point. When your arms move past flat, that roll center shifts to outside the car on the same side as the wheel that's being squashed - BAD!!!

This is why people install roll-center-adjusters on the bottom of their struts - they move the control arm strut end downwards to restore the upward tilt toward the center of the car.

Don't arrange your classic fixed point front and shackle mounted rear leaf suspension so that it deforms from a U shape to a ^ shape. When the leaf is flat, the ends are furthest apart and the spring exerts greatest leverage on the suspension hangers. As the spring deforms from the usual U shape towards flat, the spring not only exerts more force (due to deformation), but the geometry of the shackles produces more leverage for the spring force to act. As it deforms from flat into a ^ shape, the ends pull in and the leverage decreases even though the spring force increases. The end result is that the rear suspension can actually get softer as it travels more. Even if it doesn't actually get softer, the rate at which spring force increases gets smaller .. and smaller ... and smaller. As the leaf spring defroms past flat, the spring rate decreases - BAD!!!

There are things you can do (sliding rear mounts rather than shackles for example), but they're beyond the scope of this discussion.

When you flip the eyes on a leaf, you can keep close to the original arch whilst getting a decent amount of drop.

Here's a piccie of inverted eyes on a leaf pack from a KE25.

post-681-1249518590.jpeg

Note that they are installed with the arch in the same direction as it was originally ... ie. a U shape ... not the other way around :D

cheese,

Slapper

Edited by slapper

A little bit of camber won't necessarily fix your understeer issues Evan. Its more likely the package of springs and shocks you are running, along with the ride height, all contributing to it. And your tyres. And your driving style!

yea the front is complety stock ,

ill try the cut eb springs in my ke30 and if i like ill put em in my ke55

understeer and bumpsteer i hateee

• 4 weeks later...
ok picking up some eb springs on the weekend just wanted to know is there any replacement shocks for corolla struts ??? like is there any munroe or kyb inserts or is it just a matter of putting new oil and seals in them ??

try using some thick ass HYDRALIC OIL (not diff oil/ used engine oil etc etc)

in my manual it says the shockers are filled with dexron 2 (atf oil)

drain the oil out the struts, fill with thick oil and let me know how it goes,

as for the eb springs, (i have a topic comapiring them both) eb and ke30 springs are the same width BUT the ke30 spring seams to be lots softer than the eb coils. i could compress the ke30 springs 4cm with my hands but only 1 cm with the eb?