Banshee's First Little Rolla..

Banshee

Well, I went and finally got myself an little baby rolla.

And a properly special one at that!

I picked this up last night from Somerset, and drove it back with Ben. Drives like a dream for a 40 year old car!

It has a 5k motor in it as it sits at the moment, bolted to a pretty tight 5 speed box. The diff whines like a whore with an infection though!

Everything works, except the Alternator (well, it works enough that you can drive with the lights on, or the wipers, but not both. Will fix asap)

Its got some rust, its got some dents, but it's going to get fixed up soon enough. Within the next 3 months!

Piccies..

IMG_0030.jpg

IMG_0031.jpg

IMG_0032.jpg

IMG_0033.jpg

IMG_0029.jpg

IMG_0036.jpg

IMG_0035.jpg

IMG_0034.jpg

can't wait to start!

post-8289-1242300859_thumb.jpg

Members dont see this ad

I like this little rolla :) anything that can get me in trouble inside of 5 minutes is something special......

This thing is proper fun too, and an epic base for a project, in fact, I'll prove how much fun it is.......

DoriFine.jpg

See? I approve :y:

The officer was very lenient, asked me what excuse I had, I tell him that I could say it was an accident, but he wouldn't believe me anyway, that and it'd be a lie....... He seemed to like that response......

I'm gonna guess it's all on pretty soon then Banshee?

Edited by Toy-Yoda

:y: @ Ben. I've got one of those before "Not having Proper control of a motor vehicle". With no demerit points they're just a good one to laugh at with mates......like right here!! :hmm: or sometimes the issuing officer!

Looks like a good little score with the 5k and twins.

Oh, and even though this is a KE2X instead of a KE3X it does also look eirely familiar! :)

It will be getting mechanically fixed up soon, with a new alternator and possibly battery.

I will install a volatage and charge meter. Also a tachometer.

Ive just put a replacement radiator in it (old one didnt leak, but there were no fins left so it was barely cooling).

Plans for the body are to fit the replacement front panels, doors and bonnet that I picked up from the seller rust free.

Then repsray the body a Matte black. Although I am now considering a gloss black. Unsure.

New wheels in the form of 13 x 7 Spitfires are being considered also.

I then intend to do something about the awfully heavy throttle pedal.

Later on, the suspension will be lowered ever so slightly, and stiffened up alot. Its quite hairy at speed atm, and with the twin carb 5K its more than capable of getting to scary speeds. Especially once its had a service and a tune.

Then work on the interior.

I'm thinking a repaint ( the interior now has been painted black, so I will redo that)

Then the panelvan treatment: Mattress, nice sound system, nicely upholstered inside walls. And some sound deadening too!

Thoughts?

That thing looks like it could almost be the twin of my ke16 wagon (except mine has glass in the back). Mine has similar condition bodywork with mazda rims and the same roof racks.

Get a whiteline front swaybar, and fit a set of heavy duty ke2/3/5x front shocks to tighten up the front end for starters. The later shocks need a spacer, search my posts for more info.

13x7's aren't going to fit under the guards of a ke1x without flaring them.

An alternative is you could always fit a set of decent 185/60's to your existing rims which will help handling and roadholding. Painting the rims black, adding chrome trim rings, chrome wheel nuts and center caps will lift their appearance, or find a set of nice 13" hubcaps. You could even look into getting the tyres whitewalled or a set of flappers I guess.

The heavy throttle pedal is to do with the twin carbs and them having a return spring on each carb. I've run them in the past and I can't say I'm really a fan of them. A 28/36 DCD weber (set and forget) off of a mk1 1500 GT cortina is a much sweeter carb, which gives a much nicer pedal feel with more tunability, responsiveness, fuel economy and power than the twin aisans.

If you decide on a flat black, go for more of a satin black. Gloss black and chrome would look sweet, though you would need it to be perfectly straight.

Does your panelvan have a fold down back seat, like the 2 door wagons do?

Edited by Felix

I could be persuaded to part with a set of spitfires soonish! Dunno if you'd want to pay for the semi-slicks they're wearing though.

As for the paint, Matt (or satin) it and if you don't like it then put some clear over the top and you have gloss black! :)

Oh and as for the heavy pedal - If you grab hold of the linkage and open the throttle does it still feel as tight?

With my old carby turbo kit the cable was a bit heavy but a lot of this was due to drag in the cable itself (cable dragging on sheath). Every couple of months or so I'd work some grease into the cable to lubricate it a bit and it always made it heaps better. :)