Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Cheap Engine Mods For A 4a-ge

Featured Replies

Pretty much, as the title says, looking for some cheap mods that will give the engine a tad more power.

 

The only that has been done is a new 2.5" cat back exhaust system.

 

Open to most things. I don't want to turbo the car yet, still want to drive it as an N/A car. :)

 

Anyway, any ideas are good. :)

  • Replies 69
  • Views 145.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • Yup - read the next line I wrote below, I did acknowledge that.."So years later.."   Anyway..   Old / new forum - you never know who's gonna read & get something out of it..

the 2.5" exhaust is good start

get a pod filter, maybe some metal shrouding to stop the hot air getting to the filter too.

lighten your flywheel a bit,

if your willing to spend a bit more then get some 264 cams from toda or crower.

 

 

i want to try and get 160hp+ out of my ke70

  • Author

What are people's thoughts on Project MU gear?

extractors, k&n filter...flywheel as mentioned

also, maybe think about lightening your car.

depending how far you wanna go.... gut door bracing, remove sound deadening from under carpet.

spare wheel removal and gutting the boot...

 

car will be very nimble without all that "rubbish" in it...

i wouldnt waste my money, other than on a flywheel.

Make the car handle better would be a better choice IMO.

sc12 on the side, can pick up whole 4agze setups for 600, plus ecu and loom makes it sc for under 1k

  • Author

What companies should I look around for, for sway bars, flywheels, brakes and so on?

What companies should I look around for, for sway bars, flywheels, brakes and so on?

 

pedders, whiteline, kmac are a few for swaybars

 

i do believe toda have a fairly light flywheel for the 4age

 

brakes will depend on if you want a simple factory upgrade or a aftermarket/custom setup

 

have a read of the link below and it will enlighten you to some of the brake upgrades that use factory parts from other corollas

http://www.twincam.info/index.php?showtopic=1063

If it's a bigport 4AGE you could try running a JDM AE86 ECU to make a few extra ponies. Needs a speed sensor input to make the extra power though. AE101 GZE or 20V brakes are a good upgrade from the factory.

here's a bigger question.... what car to you have?

 

I'm going to guess AE82 twinky, or AE92 SX.

 

If its the AE82, or series 1 AE92 SX, then i would start with a series 2 AE92 SX/GTi front brake upgrade. I've done this on my AE82 twinky, using new RDA discs and ferodo race pads (forget what model nthat). Pulls up VERY well compared to stock worn out twinky brakes. Cost me around $350 all up, doing all the work myself.

 

Suspension - whiteline swaybars, KYB shocks... whatever springs you chose.

 

Flywheel - TODA, as mentioned already.

 

 

My twinky has everything above except for the flywheel... and I'm pretty happy with it for a daily driver. Comfortable, yet sporty enough to have a little fun around corners.

btw project mu are apparently really good from what ive heard. my friend is getting them in the near future on advice from his mechanic.

also they have an oem replacement that is a smal upgrade but is same size and all plus you can get better pads

I'm going to guess AE82 twinky, or AE92 SX.

 

looking at his profile it looks as if the OP has a series 1 seca.

 

so i agree with the witzl's on the series 2 ae92 sx/gti brake upgrade, i did it on of my last corolla, and current s2 seca(standard larger front brakes) and i can't fault either setup, I'm looking at doing the ae101 rear brake upgrade(in the near future)

 

same my seca is pretty much the same as the witzl's twinky, only minus the swarbar(s) so i still get the slight understeer when pushing the car, but still a fun daily that can still handle corners with some comfort :y:

Edited by MYSTIK

  • Author
looking at his profile it looks as if the OP has a series 1 seca.

 

Yeah, sorry. Net went down for a bit.

 

I have an AE93 Seca SX. Not sure what series...

  • 2 weeks later...

Is there any plug and play piggyback computers available for the 4age

I'm saving my $ at the moment and thinking about upgrades...

If you're going to tinker with the air intake - don't bother unless you can ensure you're sucking in cool/cold air. More air doesn't mean more power - More cool/dense air does.

On the topic of air intake, if you're interested in a serious project - do some research on water injection.

 

I believe the next, most simple upgrade would be hotter cams.

I don't have the knowledge to comment on what power gains you receive and what the trade-off is in terms of lower-end torque.

I'd advise you try to find some dyno results where people have tinkered with cams, and even better see if you can find someone who has a 4AGE with hot cams who will let you have a spin to see if you like the feel of it (what I'm patiently waiting to do).

From what I have read, you can run up to 264° cams before you start loosing considerable power/torque in the lower rev range.

 

Personally, I wouldn't go for a lighter flywheel - it's a good way of making the car run rough when idling with hot cams.

Sure, if the flywheel needed to be replaced for whatever reason... I'd consider replacing it with something a smidgen lighter.

The 4AGE is already what I'd call a responsive engine, unless it's a track car I'd spend my money elsewhere.

 

Other little things you can do...

- Run a thinner fully synthetic oil. (Personally I like to run 10-30 in winter & 10-40 in summer).

- Run 95 or higher octane fuel.

- Make sure the timing isn't out.

- Use a good brake pad. The best pads I know of are EBC's "Green Stuff" - Bendix CT's, Ferodo XL's etc. don't come anywhere near. I haven't done any research into the Bendix Ultimate pads - they might be worth a look.

 

Everything I have heard and read over the last year has lead me to believe that the best upgrades you are going to get for your $ are as follows:

- AE92SX/GTI Series 2 Brake Upgrade.

- Decent header + cat + muffler + 2" exhaust system.

- 264° cams.

 

Final note...

I'm not an expert. I'm not a mechanic. I have never done any mods to a 4AGE.

I am just a fellow who reads a fair bit... :bash:

Edited by Kozmo

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.