Chrome Around Ke30 Windscreens?

JOEKA

Hey, me and my friend are restoring a 2-door ke30, we bought the rubbers for the windscreens, but the came with the cut-out slot for chrome strips.

We now have a problem...we got no chrome strips...

Where can we find some?

Members dont see this ad

Last time I had a screen put in, the bloke told me that they are no longer made for Corollas. However, Torana ones (or some similar holden) will fit the moulding.

I guess when you work out which make of car will suit, you could get them from Rare Spares or some other Holden parts dealer.

Speaking of chrome strips, the chrome strips that run along the side of the body(this is a 2-door remember), i noticed that they only have a chrome outline, then a black plastic/rubber in the centre...with a pointed tip at each end.

Did these ever come in 100% chrome? without the black centre?

vvvv...here's what I'm talking about....vvvv

post-5788-1249813734_thumb.jpg

i tried removing some the other day. the plastic is very hard to extract without cracking it.

i have the proper tool to get it out, but the rubber is usually so brittle it is near impossible.

best to cut the old rubber seal to get the plastic trim out.

best o luck.

-dave

on a kind of related note (don't mean to hijack your thread either JOEKA, tell me off if so) my ke30 has chrome strips, but they have clear plastic over the top which has since cracked from UV damage and I want to get all of it off cos it looks crap. Is there any way of doing this well without having to pop out the windscreen, I mean, can you just pop out the chrome strips from the rubber and leave the windscreen in tact and then just pop them back in after i've taken all the yellow'd plastic off?

thanks in advance

on a kind of related note (don't mean to hijack your thread either JOEKA, tell me off if so) my ke30 has chrome strips, but they have clear plastic over the top which has since cracked from UV damage and I want to get all of it off cos it looks crap. Is there any way of doing this well without having to pop out the windscreen, I mean, can you just pop out the chrome strips from the rubber and leave the windscreen in tact and then just pop them back in after i've taken all the yellow'd plastic off?

thanks in advance

yeah u can. the chrome strips simply pull out, removal of the windscreen isn't necessary.

i pulled all mine out and chucked them cause they were badly cracked, buggered if i kno what I'm gonna do now lol

Easiest was to get them out without damage, is to get a very sharp stanley knife, lay it over on its side using the chrome trim as a guide, and shave off the top of the outer aspect of the windscreen seal all the way around.

You can then easily remove the chrome.

Quick and easy, just keep your fingers out of the way.

Easiest was to get them out without damage, is to get a very sharp stanley knife, lay it over on its side using the chrome trim as a guide, and shave off the top of the outer aspect of the windscreen seal all the way around.

You can then easily remove the chrome.

Quick and easy, just keep your fingers out of the way.

does this allow them to be re fitted? is there enough of the rubber material to hold them in place?