Fuel..how Much..? A 10 Toyoglide & 4k!

KeRoLLin

hey all...

i have a ke10, 2speed toyoglide with 4k... does 225-250 k's on~ $20-25...fuel

I CAN'T HELP BUT FEEL RIPPED OFF..should i be? Just had the timing, points, sparks & carby adjusted.. still same bar smoother..

i keep the tank filled above half always to get this amount of k's... the bottom half of the tank if let to run does only 120ish k's.. still takes $20 to fill to half..weird!!!

any the same?

Members dont see this ad

ok say you spend 25 dollars at $1.25 which is averagely where it is now.

I'm led to believe you get around 20 litres for that money.

So if you do 250k's on 20 litres thats...

12.5 km per litre? 8 litres per hundred! Thats great!

I consistently get 10L/hundred no matter how often I visit 8k rpm. :P

(I really hope I have calculated this right and haven't made a dick of myself)

Edited by Jimpoole

ok say you spend 25 dollars at $1.25 which is averagely where it is now.

I'm led to believe you get around 20 litres for that money.

So if you do 250k's on 20 litres thats...

12.5 km per litre? 8 litres per hundred! Thats great!

I consistently get 10L/hundred no matter how often I visit 8k rpm. :P

(I really hope I have calculated this right and haven't made a dick of myself)

lol

hmm but 8liters per 100 isn't that great for 1.3lt??? is it? being 2speed might be no good ya reckon??

i'd be happy if it were 6liter per 100 lol

lol

hmm but 8liters per 100 isn't that great for 1.3lt??? is it? being 2speed might be no good ya reckon??

i'd be happy if it were 6liter per 100 lol

Mate you have very high expections of a 40 year old, carburettored design.

Only now are modern hybrids and ultra-efficient diesels edging towards the 6 litre/hundred mark.

By comparison, my mothers 1995 kj 1.6litre laser gets 9litres/hundred, and that's with EFI, DOHC, and all other shit they put on cars these days.

I don't think automatics do anything to lessen fuel consumption but with the figures you're getting, I don't think you have much to complain about.

30-year old car, 2-speed automatic, 1.3L asthmatic pushrod carby engine, of course you're going to get "crap" consumption. Driving styles have changed a heck of a lot since the 70s, back then you could drive at a leasurely pace but now you have to flog the crap out of it just to keep up with normal everyday traffic.

Old cars only have good fuel consumption if you drive them like old cars.

Sounds about right.

If you did a 5 speed manual conversion, you might improve the economy. As previously stated a 2 speed auto isn't exactly the greatest for economy. What sort of revs does it pull on the highway a cruise?

I get about the same fuel economy with the combo in my sig. It has no problems matching normal everyday traffic just taking it easy.

Edited by Felix

If that 8L/100km is in te city streets you're doing very well my friend! If you were to get a 4/5spd conversion

I'm sure that you would be able to get a bit better economy on the highway too, since you have to constantly

have the engine revving at a higher speed with the toyoglide to keep up speed.

Otherwise, 8l/100km is brilliant.

It seems as though the smaller the engine, the more petrol it uses.

I'm told the 5k uses less petrol in comparison to the 3k and 4k because you use less of the go pedal./quote]

Yes and no.

There are a lot of variables. ie, compression ratio, cam timing, carb jetting, exhaust type, gearing, fuel type, ignition curve, vacuum advance, filter cleanliness, brake drag, tyre rolling resistance, weight of car, aerodynamic drag, driving style, driving conditions (ie around town/highway cruise), cruise speed. etc. etc.

My missus used to use around 7L/100km driving my ke15 where I'd get 8L/100km. She's not as heavy footed and takes longer to get up to speed.

Edited by Felix

Sounds like you are getting pretty normal consumption for a KE10 with a Toyoglide.

I used to have to fill my jigger every week, costing I guess about $30ish a tank.

I got a VE SV6 company car to replace it, doing similar miles, and put $70 or so in it every two weeks! Who would have though the Commodore was as good as a little KE10 on fuel!

Carburettors and lack of gears is what is killing you.

hey all...

i have a ke10, 2speed toyoglide with 4k... does 225-250 k's on~ $20-25...fuel

I CAN'T HELP BUT FEEL RIPPED OFF..should i be? Just had the timing, points, sparks & carby adjusted.. still same bar smoother..

i keep the tank filled above half always to get this amount of k's... the bottom half of the tank if let to run does only 120ish k's.. still takes $20 to fill to half..weird!!!

any the same?

G`day mate, I`m old school and by my calculation you are getting close to 34 miles per gallon fuel consumption. If you get hold of some of the sales brochures of the era that your car was built, you`ll find that your fuel consumption for a car of your model is quoted as 35 MPG with an 1100 K motor. I personally reckon that you cop it sweet, I wish that my Landcruiser could get even close to that.

Best wishes, Old Fella.

Only now are modern hybrids and ultra-efficient diesels edging towards the 6 litre/hundred mark.

Try 3-4L/100km. A good small capacity modern petrol will manage 5-6. In my family we have two late model hondas doing 6-6.8 for a 1.5 and 5.1-5.9 for a 1.3 in city cycles.

For the car in question the figures sound very reasonable. My ke70 was drinking 9.8 with an auto and now 7.3-7.8 with a 5spd and dirty air filter.

LOL :)

I GUESS I BETTER SHUT IT THEN AY.... :y:

i was just comparing the 10 to my supercharge statesman, 10 = ~$40 for 450k's, stato ~ $75 for 300k's... lol

the toyoglide actually not too bad if i granny it...nice and smooth...but yeah anything above 80ish and she chews.. i guess really the 2peed would be more suited to a 1litre engine.

FELIX - THAT'S AWESOME U GET ABOUT THE SAME AS ME WITH YOUR COMBO!! I'D BE STOKED WITH THAT FOR SURE!! :cool:

iROKIN - THAT'S AWESOME TOO! 2 LITRES OFF.. COMMON SENSE REALLY THAT A MANUALS GONNA BE MORE EFFICIENT.. YEAH THE NEW DIESEL MINI'S DO ABOUT 3-4LITERS PER/100 HOW GOOD IS THAT!!! :y:

SILVERRA23- WAAAATTT??? HOW??? LOL NOW YA SEE HEARING THAT IS what CAUSED ME TO START THIS THREAD.. I DON'T LIKE HEARING THAT AT ALL!!! :bash: :lolcry:

how old is the 4k engine btw??? ke10 is what...41 years old.. 4k is from a ke70 right?

cheers fellas