Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

4k Flywheel Lightened , Pics

Featured Replies

so i have been reading up in this forum for a while and lots of people ask about flywheel lightening and weights so here is what i found before i started machining the flywheel weighed 7.9 kg , i believe this is a standard 4k flywheel after machining the back only the flywheel weighs 6.2kg , i think this should make some difference to the way the car revs , also after maching i shot peined the back to combat the cracking issues that come with lightening cast flywheels , although i am sure it would not break anyway. after maching i balanced the flywheel on the end of the carnk shaft, and it was only out 1.8 grams , so it seems fi you set the flywheel up well in the lathe there is very little balancing to do . i hope this helps !

post-8610-1251188092_thumb.jpg

post-8610-1251188128_thumb.jpg

post-8610-1251188214_thumb.jpg

post-8610-1251188394_thumb.jpg

  • Author

yea i thought about machining the step on the front then didnt . maybe i should have ? probably wouldnt make too much difference now that the bulk is gone. i wont realy know if mine is any better than standard though as it is going on a whole new setup .

Hi,

I take it you an engine builder by trade Paul-

 

Just last week I actually did an engine swap in my KE30 blew a head gasket. Was easier to swap a new low KM 3k in then fix old one..LOL

 

But while in there I did the same to mine.

 

I used a older 3K flywheel but. They are different and slightly heavier than a 4K one. But it had a thicker middle section and inner part so though it would be a bit stronger in the center.

 

I jsut started from the flat section where it begins cleaning up the surface skimming it then cut the raised part on the edge back so it was thinner cleaning up its surfaces. Then I just machined the outer edge level with the ring gear.

 

Pic below:

post-1811-1251194889_thumb.jpg

 

While at it I faced the clutch face needed a bit taken off so the whole front of the clutch was refaced to keep a good step between the clutch face and the rest of the flywheel..LOL So can kinda say I lightened the front..LOL

 

Cheers

Cameron

so u can't really tell if there was any diffrence lightining the flywheel?

 

i been told i better have mine machined as I'm changing me k40 to k50 and while i had box out ready for the 5spd conversion id might as well do it worth it or not ?

Oh heck yes go lighten it.

 

I never faced mine after 3 clutch changes. So if you do a gear box swap face the clutch face grip will improve heaps.

 

Also I did notice a difference picks up a lot better and for economy I limited/removed my accelerator pump from the carby. After lightening the fly wheel it took out the hesitation the car had on a sudden acceleration. But I didnt take to much off to affect a hill climb but I never drive up hills so haven't tested that fully yet.

 

But best $40 I spent in ages. BTW got it done 2 weeks ago so that is a current price a shop should charge.

 

Cheers

Cameron

Oh heck yes go lighten it.

 

I never faced mine after 3 clutch changes. So if you do a gear box swap face the clutch face grip will improve heaps.

 

Also I did notice a difference picks up a lot better and for economy I limited/removed my accelerator pump from the carby. After lightening the fly wheel it took out the hesitation the car had on a sudden acceleration. But I didnt take to much off to affect a hill climb but I never drive up hills so haven't tested that fully yet.

 

But best $40 I spent in ages. BTW got it done 2 weeks ago so that is a current price a shop should charge.

 

Cheers

Cameron

Did that $40 include lightening and balancing it? I've been thinking about doing mine when my gearbox goes kaput!

Thanks alot appriciate the tip hopefully get a similar price lets just see how these melbourne ppls charge lol

Parrot we didn't ask about machining them down its jsut a thread of how we did it and Pics that is all..LOL Hopefully we wont get the same response as that thread..LOL

 

But I left the flywheel at the machine shop said I want lighter not to much and told him How I wanted it done. Then faced and balanced. All for $40 :P

 

So should include a ballance.

 

Cheers

Cameron

yea sweet just wonder where in melb does anyone recommend for this type of machining

i had mine lightened until around +-5.5kg... honestly, i doesn't feel any difference...

maybe b'cos of my car too heavy with those b.kits :P

Don't worry, I am all for machining down flywheels and will have no hesitation in getting mine done.

 

In Melbourne, I would go to RG Baker just off Middleborough Rd (Engine machine shop) as they are local to me and he really knows his stuff.

 

R G Baker

 

Factory 9, 11 Clarice Road, Box Hill, VIC 3128

 

p: (03) 98991400

 

Any reputable Engine machine shop will know the drill. If you are in Dandenong, go and see BGT Brakes. They are a serious Brake place that specialise in racing applications.

 

B.G.T. Brake Services

 

10 Webster St, Dandenong, VIC 3175

 

p: (03) 97946787, (03) 97922806

 

If they don't do it themselves, they will send it out to someone that does great work.

Edited by parrot

WOO another thread on flywheel machining! Don't worry, I just have a simple question: What is the height of the step supposed to be? The workshop manual doesn't specify..

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.