Who Has Done A Mechanic Apprenticeship?

rjenman

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Group Training Australia supplies all necessary tools for the duration of an apprenticeship... :)

Group Training NT give us a weekly tool allowance in our pay... of about $6/per week. It's a joke. It'd mean I'd be able to buy another spanner every month. Yay! That's going to get me sooo far.

3/4 of people have said that professional mechanics will NOT want to work on thier own car... but it seems most if not all mechanics have decent cars?

That's because they know when and where to get their car serviced. If they detect a problem, it (usually) gets sent somewhere to be fixed straight away. That's if they can afford to take their car to a mechanic. I know that the mechanics where I work can't. They only make between $15-19/hour. And that's for fully Toyota qualified ones with extra Toyota training!!!

Some of the mechanics at my work don't even have cars lol...

Others have stockers...

It's only the apprectices that have modified cars lol...

Me and the Rolla

1st year - S14 200SX

1st year - TX3 Turbo

3rd year - Mini Cooper in the build

4th year - Hilux, deckt, chrome front end, flat stainless tray and so on...

• 1 month later...

Update:

Secured an apprenticeship in spare parts interpreting, I start work tomorrow :jamie:

If you don't know what a spare parts interpreter is: think the horse whisperer. Except with cars. Yes thats exactly what a spare parts interpreter is

Car "Clunk clunk psshhh"

Me "That means she's mad at you"

I done my apprenticeship with the M.T.A, ive only got one thing to say about a mechanical apprenticeship :jamie: You work your arse off for four years getting all the crap all the qualified mechanics wouldnt touch with a ten foot pole. I'm now fully qualified working at Stillwell Fords. The guys there are great but the wage is shit I'm only on $16 an hour, plus you get dirty and go home stinking. If i could do it all over again i would steer clear of the mechanical trade like the plauge :sad:

When I left school, i didn't know whether i wanted to be a Mechanic or a Computer Technician. I started tafe in IT and became a taxi mechanic's hand part time. I tell you, i know why most mechanics are sick of it after 15 years, I'm almost sick of it after 3 years part time. Cars suck when they fall apart.

i used to like computers, then i started working with them, now i feel the same way. i don't mind helping out friends and family, but that's about where i draw the line

i had one of those little "quote per day" calendars at my last job, i have a few good ones i stuck on my pinboard at home. one of them is

a hobby is hard work you wouldn't do for a living
Edited by Super Jamie

LOL, nice score :dance: Wouldn't be a bad job at all :dance:

Coventry?

yeah mate how did u know?! :jamie:

Yeah so far its looking really promising, the people there seem pretty down to earth and the managers are really friendly. So far they've got me picking and packing, I really don't mind it! If this falls through I'm just going to get a job in the warehouse there, picking and packing is quite an alright job. Especially with car parts. :)

King springs, Monroe shocks, exedy clutches caught my eye, but they have SO much shit, I don't think I'm ever going to supercheap auto again. Staff discount on superlow king springs and an exedy clutch for dessert please. These guys supply mechanics and random retailers from wynnum to cairns and everywhere inbetween and buy straight from factory.

When I left school, i didn't know whether i wanted to be a Mechanic or a Computer Technician. I started tafe in IT and became a taxi mechanic's hand part time. I tell you, i know why most mechanics are sick of it after 15 years, I'm almost sick of it after 3 years part time. Cars suck when they fall apart.

Yeah man, I've heard SO much dirt about the mechanic's trade. People tend to not stay in it...

spare parts interpreters tend to stay in their job however

Wages are all over the place, I guess you get paid for what you're worth in this job. If you're interested in the job, search about it in google, there's a graph somewhere about wages..

Then again, any job that resembles my hobby (cars) would kill said hobby... :dance:

see the beauty of this job is that there's not so much outright labour on cars and dealing with car problems apart from indirectly by supplying customers with replacement parts, so I reckon this job would be less likely to kill my love for cars than being a mechanic.

Being around cheap+quality spare parts all day and not being able to afford them is already starting to twist me a bit :jamie: :dance: