22re Into Ke70

Go Fish

if the trailer is loaded correctly then there should be barely any weight on the actual car, add to that it will be a "braked" trailor and I'm not too sure where the big issue is?

so in reality its just custom cross members...thats not too bad

If the trailer is loaded correctly then there should barely be any weight on the car, VERTICALLY (ie tow-ball load). However, acceleration and braking play a very big role in the way the car can tow.

Think about it, going down a steep hill, even with a braked trailer it will be at least 50% heavier than the car towing, which means it will "push" the car significantly. There is a reason why NSW tow regs state that you should always tow with a vehicle heavier than your gross load (which is why Landcruisers etc make great tow vehicles, because they weigh the same as a small planetoid).

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

for starters, it wont be "underbraked", I'm not as silly as it appears most of you think, if i was to go ahead with the 22re, then i would also be putting either my spare set of fc3s brakes on, or doing the CPH upgrade

Its STILL a phenomenally bad not to mention ILLEGAL idea. Seriously, drop the idea now before you kill yourself or someone else.

I found a video of what it will look like too. Granted this caravan was purposely weighted incorrectly but it illustrates perfectly what will happen to you even with a correctly weighted trailer and such a massive load for a light car.

Youtube Video ->

lol at 90% of the responses in this thread...

for starters the only real info i wanted to know is regarding putting the motor in, not wether it would be good for towing or not...i don't care how illegal it is or how stupid you think it is...

the driver in the above video did the wrong thing when the caravan started to swing anyway...

at the end of the day, nothing you say in this thread regarding the cars use for towing will change my mind on doing the conversion...so if you don't mind getting back on topic that would be great...

for starters the only real info i wanted to know is regarding putting the motor in, not wether it would be good for towing or not...i don't care how illegal it is or how stupid you think it is...

the driver in the above video did the wrong thing when the caravan started to swing anyway...

at the end of the day, nothing you say in this thread regarding the cars use for towing will change my mind on doing the conversion...so if you don't mind getting back on topic that would be great...

You said that one of the main reasons you were considering the conversion was so it could possibly be used as a tow vehicle. Hopefully we have since talked you out of that idea.

this is why 22R 2,2l is an r series motor carby 1 cam 8 valve dinosour that will have more oil on the outside than in, 3RZ is 2.7l is an r series, fuel injected 2 cams 16 valve, one is last generation motor one is this generation, same mounts, gearbox, diff, and take up the same of space, both legal, now what would make you think of doing a 22r,

Going thru this exercise myself with an 18RGTE (efi, turbo, 18RG) i can tell you that it is NOT an economically smart idea.

Besides the custom engine mounts, customised gearbox crossmember, etc... you will also need a custom tailshaft.

To be able to tow a car trailer, you will also need to significantly upgrade the diff.

Its an expensive proposition, and to be honest, you are fvcking stupid for suggesting the idea of towing a car trailer with a KE70 - no matter WHAT motor, brakes, gearbox, suspension, or chassis improvements you make.

But even moving away from that point - the conversion itself is not straightforward at all, and will cost way more than the engine is worth.

I'm only doing the 18RGTE conversion because i have already built a 400HP 18RGTE, and i intend to go drag racing with it.

Even with all the serious upgrades i will be making to mine (engine, gearbox, tailshaft, brakes, diff, suspension, wheels, chassis) I would still sooner take a frontal lobotomy before contemplating towing a car trailer with my KE70.