Oil Catch Can

ROLLN'03

Members dont see this ad

In theory, it has to be a sealed system, so that any crank case vapours (with or without oil in it) go back into the engine, and not vent into the atmosphere.

I think most people don't really care, I've even got a mate who just dumps it directly out the bottom of the engine bay... and coming from a V8 Walkinshaw, that's a fair bit of crank case vapours, you can even *see* the vapours coming out... It's a bit irresponsible though, poor motorcyclist behind you gets to run on your oil slick...

Edited by demuire

just relying on excess crankcase pressure to vent gas to atmosphere is a good way to chop out your oil within 500km and potentially wear out your engine ALOT sooner that it otherwise would have. just use a vacuum source

gases are supposed to be vented back to the intake, or depending on the emissions year of the car/engine, through a charcol canister to atmosphere. you'd need to ask an engineer

so i'm guessing what jamie is saying is,

if you are going to use a catch can, connect one end to where the pcv valve normally goes, then connect the other end from the catch can to the inlet manifold (vacumn sorce). This would basically suck the oil into the can and not just rely on crankcase pressure. Providing you are using a proper catch can you'll catch the oil and the vapour and then the rest would go back into the inlet....

is that right jamie?