Damn Rotaries

ROLLN'03

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My second project car (datto 1200 ute) has shat it's engine now (a12's can't handle 6000rpm!!), soon to be a 12a bridgeport with a celica 5 speed behind it. should be fun. Going the celica box cuz i've always heard good stuff about them, and i'm getting it mates rates of a mate.

Edited by Northen Rolla

in response to the original, inqusitive post, yes you can make that much power out of a rotary. a VERY well-bridgeported 13b should be making close to 300bhp. a stock 12a makes about 105hp. not too bad for engines that displace 1300cc and 1200cc respectively

they're great little engines, able to make more useable power as they get more insane, as the engine is all rotating one way and there are far less internal force losses such as in a piston engine, which has to fight its own compression and half the pistons going up when the other half want to go down

you'd never get 200bhp out of a K motor naturally aspirated, you can barely push that out of a 5k with efi and turbo, angela's big dollar 5k with gt2530 and avcr makes 215hp

I use to work with a guy who had australia's fast n/a rotary, he told me easy to get massive power out of a "chook-cooker" but the move power you get the less engine life, ( his rx2 ran 10's @ the creek) i was told a 12a bolts straight in to a ke20 but all you had to do was change the "tunnel" i was told to install an hilux diff.

Hilux diff is probably the ONLY option you'd wanna have for a rotary conversion! Or if you're as psycho as some may be... Ford 9" :)

I've never doubted the power of the mighty rotor. But you do here so many myths like they require a rebuild every 12 months and seals go on those motors like it's nobody's business. Ah... you build these things for power, they produce it... and anything that produce pwer is prone to damage in the end, I guess... it's still a money pit... but a fun one at that! :D

Hilux diff is probably the ONLY option you'd wanna have for a rotary conversion! Or if you're as psycho as some may be... Ford 9" :)

depends what you're doing. for a little 150hp 12a like i want, a T series is fine, up to 200hp they say. or an SA22C (gen 1) rx7 diff could probably handle a little more than that

a VERY well-bridgeported 13b should be making close to 300bhp.

yea, something like a J port or monster port. or even a PP. at this stage of tune it would need to be rebuilt every 12 months.

the only thing with an NA rotary, is when they get to bridgeport stage or further, is that the corner/side seals cop a hiding and wear out alot quicker. something like an extended mild port would last years if revs are kept sane (and make 200hp).

a friend rebuilt his J port 13b a while back. it cost him $2500 for parts, and he is a mechanic. the carbon apex seals were $200 each (you need 6).

a 12a is a 2.4 liter engine. a 13b a 2.6L. they have 1 power pulse per rotor side per revolution, like a 2 stroke..... a rotary is effectively a 4 cycle 2 stroke.

a normal 4 stoke, has only has 1 power stroke, per piston, every second revolution.

I just happen to have an rx5 bellhousing with adapter plate for toyota 4/5 speeds, corona 4 speed, celica 5 speed etc, i have both boxes aswell as a lightened flywheel and 50k old button clutch with stupidly heavy pressure plate. If any one embarks on a rotary conversion i will do you a deal on the lot. can even include a crossmember to suit a KE20.