Xany's 1990 Jza70 Supra

Xany

So my memory was jogged after seeing Teddy's new supra, that i have always wanted to own a MA70/71. I've always loved the shape and the stance of them on the road, plus the fact you don't see many of them anymore. I started looking around for one, and promptly found a few interstate, but wasnt really interested in plane fares and costs involved of buying an interstate car. So i kept looking and eventually stumbled across one for sale on the side of a major rd in brisbane not far from where i live. I stewed on it for a couple of weeks before asking my brother what he thought of the car i was thinking about putting a deposit on.

It was a Red 1989 MA70 7M Auto Single turbo Supra, much the same as teddys....however without the modcons like targa top and a few other bits and peices. He screwed his nose up at the thought of working on a 7M (hes a mechanic himself) and told me to buy one with a 1J conversion if i wanted something in that shape. So i went back to the drawing board and then found out that in japan, the MA70 was brought out from the factory with a 1J already inserted..... :dance: Offically known as a JZA70.

So i eventually found one that had been imported, and low and behold it was in a suburb not far away.....This was a genuine 1990 JZA70 Twin turbo R edition supra....and i liked it. Alot.

So i bought it.....and i've been the owner since about the first week of october. :cool:

post-87-1257860750_thumb.jpg post-87-1257860956_thumb.jpg

post-87-1257861073_thumb.jpg post-87-1257861128_thumb.jpg

For the roadworthy to be done i had to do the brake pads and replace the front rotors....what better way to replace front rotors than with nice big Slotted ones. :bash:

post-87-1257861224_thumb.jpg

And the Stock Headunit had been removed, so i set to and gave it some upgraded sounds....

Front Door:

post-87-1257862716_thumb.jpg

post-87-1257862701_thumb.jpg

Original Rear Speaker

post-87-1257862677_thumb.jpg

Shiny new one

post-87-1257862687_thumb.jpg

Front amp for cabin speakers:

post-87-1257862657_thumb.jpg

Thats about it for now, i'm currently replacing the timing belt as it hasnt been done for a long time. Should see more progress soon. :D

Cheers.

Xany.

Edited by Xany

Members dont see this ad

The cannon is getting replaced with a nice looking twin tip muffler when i can get to a exhaust shop and have the cash to do so. :cool:

Also, both mine and teddy's supras are decent looking...his has alot less k's on it than this one though, and is VERY overrated. lol

Edited by Xany

Wise decision holding out for a J rather than the M...... unless you have shares in ACL. :bash: :cool:

There's a lot to be gained in a siamese dump pipe on these. The design of the stock dump pipe/s is woefull. However as soon as you do fit a siamese you'll start getting over boosting (which isn't great with ceramic turbos) issues as the tiny waste gates can't keep up with the new increased exhaust flow. High flow and steel wheel the CT12A's while you're at it and you won't be dissapointed though! :dance:

Doesnt handle like one, trust me. Just looks high in the photos....it's already got lowered springs and KYB dampers installed. Maybe down the track i might invest in some coilovers, however i'm quite liking the dampers atm.

Mods already installed on the car when i bought it include a 3.5" turbo back exhaust (hence the massive cannon), High flow cat, Dampers, Springs, K&N pod filter with HKS intake pipe, R33 GTR 17x9's. Engine is Stock as far as i know, about 3 weeks after owning the car i was driving over mount tamborine on the way back from the coast and hit a massive rock in the middle of a rock slide (tried to avoid as many rocks as i could) and it punctured the sidewall in the drivers side tyre. So i had to replace both front tyres with new ones....they now have Maxxis MA-Z1 tyres on the rims.

Oh and Taz, i've been told about the dump pipe design on these....yeah i agree its woeful, shall be upgrading them when time and cash permits. :S

Edited by Xany

If anyone is wondering what the Twin turbo *R* stands for (no its not some wanky f@$kin honda thing), the R designates the fact that the interior is full Recaro, so front seats, rear seats and trims. Also comes with a factory Momo gearknob and steering wheel.

I must admit, the first time i stood on the go pedal in this....it surprised me alot, sounds f@$king awesome at full noise.

Jip - i'll chuck some engine bay shots up this weekend when its all back together, it currently has the timing covers off and everything associated with replacing the timing belt.

Alright for a RRP back in 1990 of around $65,000+

Currently watching this http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...RK%3AMEWAX%3AIT hmmm.