The Physics of Drifting.

To close this argument, I think there needs to be a clear definition of terms.

There are two forms of drifting: classical drifting and Jap drifting. A classical drift is where the tail of the car hangs out slightly while cornering. A Jap drift is similar, but the purpose of the drift is to maintain the greatest angle possible. A Jap drift is for show while a classic drift is the type you see in rallying. Agreed?

As the Jap drift is purely for show, speed through the corner becomes irrelevant. I realise that in D1 competition the speed at which the drift is undertaken is important for points, but that is more related to style than quickness. Hence Jap drifting is definitely not the fastest way through a corner. A classical drift may be useful in certain circumstances (eg. rallying), however on a tarmac surface, grip driving will be the fastest method (versus a classical drift) 99 times out of 100. A Jap drift will always be slower.

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

hey guys

um drifting is NOT quicker than normal driving through a corner, although...

drifting was used in japanese mountain events where people like Keiichi Tsuchiya (a.k.a drift king) tried out different manouvers to try and get through corners at a higher speed, because they had under-powered cars and it was difficult. its a fact that this benifited him, as he was the only driver to use this corner treatment. here is the history of what he achieved

Carl.

What?

No. The techniques he used had nothing to do with corner speed. All he did was use unothordox methods to place his car for overtaking and defending lines. It worked sometimes, it was also a bonus that he was racing in the days of mainly mechanical grip and limited aero.

Heres a clip of his "drift" style overtake at Fuji racway in a GroupA RS500 Sierra.

http://www.japtastic.com/video/KTgpA.wmv

As an added note his style caused for early mechanical failure, particularly when he went to JGTC.

You'll see many more examples of this style of overtaking technique, Piquet did it at a good 100kays faster in the '86 F1 championship. The good old days when the cars weren't so reliant on aero.

I don't care about grip racing but I know it's faster round a corner. but the people saying drifting is slow... you need to watch a bit more drifting. it's freakin quick.

The argument was about whether drifting was faster through a corner than than not drifting.

Drifting is slower than grip driving, but that doesn't mean that drifting automatically means you are moving slowly. You can take a corner at fairly high speeds while drifting, however you could be taking it at higher speeds were you grip driving. I believe that's what 1G-GTE KE70 is trying to say.