Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Ae71 Corolla - Mr Hanky

Featured Replies

steering rack boot will take a good 2 hours to do,

 

remove wheel

remove tie rod end (ball joint separator)

count how many turns when undoing, it will throw out your alignment if you don't.

(not sure if you have to undo the tie rod from the steering rack 70% sure you don't_

remove old boot

fit new boot and make sure they have some sort of clamp on them (cable ties work ok)

refit tie rod end with the according turns

use a new locknut for the tie rod nut and FT

refit wheel

 

rolla will roll again :)

 

As Evan said...although I reckon about 1/2 an hour. Use a liquid paper pen to mark the position of your tierod (and count as Evan said)

 

if you don't have a ball joint separator hit the steering arm (not the thread) with a big hammer. should just drop out! And hit it hard. imagine the person you hate the most. works a treat

 

simple job!

  • Replies 70
  • Views 73.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Author

That was painless.. visited centre rd wreckers..grabbed auto cross member without killing myself when the gearbox fell out.... grabbed generic steering rack boot... fitted both items easily in an hour.

 

The guy was right about the cross member being bent!!

 

img2681b.jpg

 

Discovered the road worthy man was working today so nipped back down to see him and all checked off and now Mr Hanky has a nice green RWC to his name.

 

To celebrate I decided to bang the Kings rears that I got off ebay into it. They had been chopped a little, but I would say they are pretty well right where I would have wanted them...no dragster look .... no dragging bum look...just right!

 

He got a coolant change too since I couldn't bear to see rusty water running through his veins anymore....

 

Reckon Mr Hanky might be my ride to Hanging Rock. I reckon if I sneak in with the rest of the Toyota's they won't bounce me out for being not classic enough :)

 

img2677x.jpg

 

img2678of.jpg

 

img2680c.jpg

 

Thanks Evan and Bamboo once again for the tips on the steering rack boot. It was a piece of piss :cool:

Reckon Mr Hanky might be my ride to Hanging Rock. I reckon if I sneak in with the rest of the Toyota's they won't bounce me out for being not classic enough smile.gif

 

I should bring my Ae71 up to Hanging Rock too :) They shouldnt knock back the cars as its part of a club.

Edited by "The Mint KE70"

Hahaha Ben. Need to get some t18 front and rear bars for some classicness :). Good work on getting all that work done Adam.

Good work Adam, now just get it regoe'd!

 

 

Will they really knock back the ae71s as theyre not meeting the criteria? Oh well I don't have that much time to fiddle with chrome bars then.. another time.

  • Author

They been known to ask cars that they don't consider classic to go park in the public car park. Chrome bumpers are one thing some other shows specify but not necssarily hanging rock.

 

This is less likely to happen if you come in as part of an obviously organised group.

 

The classic celica guys will be meeting at calder to go in together, so I am planning on joining them.

  • Author

The more the merrier!

 

I will post more details of meeting points etc in the Vic Hanging Rock thread in the next day or two.

Yeah thats what I was thinking guys, arriving in an organised convoy of mixed older Toyota's. Even if some have plastic bars etc it shouldnt really matter that much as its a group meet, if non classics have to go in the car park so be it. Its about meeting up and having a good time anyway....

  • 1 month later...
  • Author

Mr Hanky at Hanging Rock Car Show a few weeks back.. was a great turn out of old school Corollas, Celicas, a Crown and a couple of Coronas!

 

IMG_2716.JPG

 

IMG_2736.JPG

 

IMG_2762.JPG

 

Will have to decide on Mr Hanky's future soon. Home loan interest rate rises make my 4 car collection a bit silly...

I really like this AE71, must be such a good daily. Colour scheme is so so good haha

 

Those Crossfevers suit it so well too

  • Author

Thanks for your comments Benzo.

 

It would be a good daily, but I have a work ute for that :yes: So its just a good looking occasional car!

not usually a fan of these cars but this one seems to get my attention very well, i really like it :yes:

 

and that colour is awesome, it definetely suits the car

 

congratulations on your effort

Will have to decide on Mr Hanky's future soon. Home loan interest rate rises make my 4 car collection a bit silly...

 

Ship it up to me! :P

And add a HD-EG from a DeTo with that shipment so I can get some power out of my G100 Charade :(

Edited by eiriksmil

  • 2 weeks later...
  • Author

hehe you are dreaming erik!!

 

Just taken a deposit on Mr Hanky.. pending mechanics inspection.. sold to a young lady who told her Dad she wanted a brown square car with brown interior. Perfecto!!!

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.