Ae71 Corolla - Mr Hanky

silverra23

steering rack boot will take a good 2 hours to do,

remove wheel

remove tie rod end (ball joint separator)

count how many turns when undoing, it will throw out your alignment if you don't.

(not sure if you have to undo the tie rod from the steering rack 70% sure you don't_

remove old boot

fit new boot and make sure they have some sort of clamp on them (cable ties work ok)

refit tie rod end with the according turns

use a new locknut for the tie rod nut and FT

refit wheel

rolla will roll again :)

As Evan said...although I reckon about 1/2 an hour. Use a liquid paper pen to mark the position of your tierod (and count as Evan said)

if you don't have a ball joint separator hit the steering arm (not the thread) with a big hammer. should just drop out! And hit it hard. imagine the person you hate the most. works a treat

simple job!

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That was painless.. visited centre rd wreckers..grabbed auto cross member without killing myself when the gearbox fell out.... grabbed generic steering rack boot... fitted both items easily in an hour.

The guy was right about the cross member being bent!!

img2681b.jpg

Discovered the road worthy man was working today so nipped back down to see him and all checked off and now Mr Hanky has a nice green RWC to his name.

To celebrate I decided to bang the Kings rears that I got off ebay into it. They had been chopped a little, but I would say they are pretty well right where I would have wanted them...no dragster look .... no dragging bum look...just right!

He got a coolant change too since I couldn't bear to see rusty water running through his veins anymore....

Reckon Mr Hanky might be my ride to Hanging Rock. I reckon if I sneak in with the rest of the Toyota's they won't bounce me out for being not classic enough :)

img2677x.jpg

img2678of.jpg

img2680c.jpg

Thanks Evan and Bamboo once again for the tips on the steering rack boot. It was a piece of piss :cool:

Reckon Mr Hanky might be my ride to Hanging Rock. I reckon if I sneak in with the rest of the Toyota's they won't bounce me out for being not classic enough smile.gif

I should bring my Ae71 up to Hanging Rock too :) They shouldnt knock back the cars as its part of a club.

Edited by "The Mint KE70"

They been known to ask cars that they don't consider classic to go park in the public car park. Chrome bumpers are one thing some other shows specify but not necssarily hanging rock.

This is less likely to happen if you come in as part of an obviously organised group.

The classic celica guys will be meeting at calder to go in together, so I am planning on joining them.

Yeah thats what I was thinking guys, arriving in an organised convoy of mixed older Toyota's. Even if some have plastic bars etc it shouldnt really matter that much as its a group meet, if non classics have to go in the car park so be it. Its about meeting up and having a good time anyway....

• 1 month later...

Mr Hanky at Hanging Rock Car Show a few weeks back.. was a great turn out of old school Corollas, Celicas, a Crown and a couple of Coronas!

IMG_2716.JPG

IMG_2736.JPG

IMG_2762.JPG

Will have to decide on Mr Hanky's future soon. Home loan interest rate rises make my 4 car collection a bit silly...

Will have to decide on Mr Hanky's future soon. Home loan interest rate rises make my 4 car collection a bit silly...

Ship it up to me! :P

And add a HD-EG from a DeTo with that shipment so I can get some power out of my G100 Charade :(

Edited by eiriksmil

• 2 weeks later...