Front Bearing?? Please Help!

Hi guys, I have a problem with my 1986 AE82 rolla and I need some assisstance..

The front passengers side wheel has a squeak/rubbing noise coming from it and I don't know what it is.. It happens pretty much the whole time the car is rolling and it is really noticable at low speeds or when cornering. I haven't really had a chance to rip it apart and have a look, and I was wondering if anyone knows what it is?? And is it an easy or hard fix?

I also have another issue, PINGING!! :) what could it be?! I have done the timing and it is running premium fuel, what else could it be? The engine is a stock A4-C..

Cheers

Members dont see this ad
Hi guys, I have a problem with my 1986 AE82 rolla and I need some assisstance..

The front passengers side wheel has a squeak/rubbing noise coming from it and I don't know what it is.. It happens pretty much the whole time the car is rolling and it is really noticable at low speeds or when cornering. I haven't really had a chance to rip it apart and have a look, and I was wondering if anyone knows what it is?? And is it an easy or hard fix?

I also have another issue, PINGING!! :) what could it be?! I have done the timing and it is running premium fuel, what else could it be? The engine is a stock A4-C..

Cheers

if its fwd its most likely a constant velocity joint in the drive shafts

About your Pinging...

Had same problem with my AE82. Has the timing belt been replaced lately ?. What about the timing belt tensioner ?.

Some folks replace just the timing belt at the regular intervals and neglect the tensioner. The tensioner goes weak allowing some slack in the timing belt.

I had the tensioner replaced in my 4A-C and problem solved. No more pinging.

About your Pinging...

Had same problem with my AE82. Has the timing belt been replaced lately ?. What about the timing belt tensioner ?.

Some folks replace just the timing belt at the regular intervals and neglect the tensioner. The tensioner goes weak allowing some slack in the timing belt.

As far as i know nothing has been replaced lately, but i will look into the tensioner and belt. Thanks man

And to solve the problem with the front CV, a mate of mine was buying a new car and just gave me his old 1985 rolla sedan so i just stole the whole hub and CV from it and put it in mine. everything running smooth now.

Thanks everyone :wink: Rolla club #1!

About your Pinging...

Can also be from a carbon buildup on the pistons, around the valves. The carbon crap heats up and starts pre-igniting the air-fuel and you only really notice it when you start pushing the motor

Can also be from a carbon buildup on the pistons, around the valves. The carbon crap heats up and starts pre-igniting the air-fuel and you only really notice it when you start pushing the motor

You are correct.

In my case it was the opposite. Straping it out was fine.

But driving around normal was the problem.

So I tried not too as much as possible.

• 3 months later...

This might be a little late to say now but with the squeak/rubbing noise.. My ae82 did it too after the conversion. It was really bad at low speeds and i found it was the flimsy metal backing plate that protects the disk rotors. It was bent in a little and rubbing a bit so just with my hand i bent it back out, problem solved :)