Other Rides - 1963 Chevrolet Corvair And 1969 Bmw 2002

ratiara

Just posted a pic of the 'new' Tiara but thought I'd stick up some pics of my '63 Chevrolet Corvair.....just getting ready for rego at the moment, should be cruising soon. Flat six, air cooled rear engine power baby! Can't wait!

And also my wife's (although I cruise around in it alot) '69 BMW 2002. 2lt Auto and cruises beautifully. A car that truly belies it's age.

Have pics of my other 2 classics that I have recently sold to make way for the 'vair and Tiara. '67 Beetle (pictured in both it's configurations) and '55 DeSoto Diplomat Plaza.

buffvair2_resize.jpg

buffvair3_resize.jpg

DSC_2697_resize.jpg

DSC_2793_resize.jpg

rr3.jpg

byebye2_resize.jpg

borissc4.jpg

Members dont see this ad

ooooo noooooo Corvair! Unsafe at any speed! :D

Love the swamp cooler on the Desoto.

Classic beemers... The nastier these new cars get, the better they become. I have an E21 323i, which with nowt but a set of Bilsteins and 15's will quite easily out-handle most 'sports cars' rolling off the showroom floor today... And its more than 30 years old.

That is until you give it just a teency bit too much pedal at the apex and the back tries to go faster than the front... They are a not terribly forgiving near the limits of adhesion :hmm:

I'd love a 2002. Was looking for one when the E21 found me... :dance:

Darren,

I was about to pm you to ask if you had any pics up of these cars. VERY nice collection.

I actually took a few pics of your 2002 at the Bay 2 Birdwood last year!! I though it look familular... and

I think I may have seen your Bug around too somewhere...

Good to see you've got such broad tastes and actually doing something about it :jamie:

A corolla next maybe??

Cheers

Scott.

Corvair's, I've never seen one in the flesh, have to check it out some time. As a flat 6 air cooled fan myself, I'd love to see how the yanks did it.

Yep, she sure is different and will be on the road by the end of Feb. The yanks did a few things differently alright....the fan belt is just bizarre!

Will get some shots of the engine bay.

It is a swell machine and not as unsafe as Ralph Nader would have us believe. In independent testing in the late 60's it proved that the Corvair was in the top two safest cars built in the US in the 60's.

So when I get LHD rego, I will be driving it non stop....may even sleep in it.

• 1 month later...
why did you sell your DeSoto?

The old girl needed more attention than I was able to give her.....she needed alot of rust work. More than my limited skills would be able to tackle.

She was a beauty though and it is great to know that she is back on the road again....the new owner has done more in 6 months than I did in 2 years. :D

• 1 month later...
The old girl needed more attention than I was able to give her.....she needed alot of rust work. More than my limited skills would be able to tackle.

She was a beauty though and it is great to know that she is back on the road again....the new owner has done more in 6 months than I did in 2 years. :yes:

that's a shame. i will keep an eye ou for it.

• 7 months later...

Just a bit of an update.

Corvair is now for sale on ebay. Have found a new love that I could not possibly pass up.

Back to my VW roots, albeit watercooled. It's a rarity on these shores, pick it up in a couple weeks, will reveal when it's in my hands.

Also took some fresh shots of the bimma as it stands at the moment. Going in for some rust repairs and the 'hot rod' treatment very soon, so this is the last shoot in this incarnation.

j8_edited-1.jpg

j9_edited-1.jpg

j4_edited-1.jpg