Stiffer Strut Inserts For Ke30

Andy43

Members dont see this ad

Rules state have to run OEM suspension, so no go on the strut swap, as we only turn left, I'm happy with the left front, but need something stiffer in right front, I'm thinking i may need to look at rebuilding the factory wet leg and running heavy oil as technically I cannot revalve. Thanks Andy

for the back suzuki sierra front shocks are stiff and suit if car has been lowered as they are shorter, the front there isnt much choice i believe the pedders are stiffer than the monroe type. i have read that older late 80's toyota mr2 rear shock fit up front of ke, maybe wrong thou....

Edited by blktoy35

Yes the rear AW11 MR2 shocks fit and you can still get Konis etc for these. HOWEVER the strut tube (and stroke of the shock) is around 80-100mm shorter. You can retify this by packing out the bottom of the strut tube - if your car is at stock height, or use some washer to pack it out at the top if its lower to keep the spring captive.

Does it have to be OEM corolla, or can you get away with OEM toyota!? Cause if you have to stay with a stock corolla strut then your options are pretty limited.... hence why most modified KE street cars no longer have the stock struts in them.

Yes the rear AW11 MR2 shocks fit and you can still get Konis etc for these. HOWEVER the strut tube (and stroke of the shock) is around 80-100mm shorter. You can retify this by packing out the bottom of the strut tube - if your car is at stock height, or use some washer to pack it out at the top if its lower to keep the spring captive.

Does it have to be OEM corolla, or can you get away with OEM toyota!? Cause if you have to stay with a stock corolla strut then your options are pretty limited.... hence why most modified KE street cars no longer have the stock struts in them.

Taz sound like I'm up the creek without a paddel.

Has to be OEM KE30/55 corolla.

Ive got some bilsteins that drop in but as there adjustable It's illegal to run them, Basic shock rule is you can change shocks but must fit orignal mounts, and no comp shocks like afco,bilstein,koni, no adjustables , no external canister.

I was hoping something like a commadore strut cartridge would drop in with no mods, as that would be valved for a heaver car should work better, I should be able to run that.

The basic rule is all arms,rods,struts,spring hangers must remain standard as per manufacture year.

Looks like only option so far is to rebuild a factory wet leg and use heaver oil in it.

We just run the national titles in tassie and they were pretty hot on shocks, Thats why I want to stay within the rules.

Thanks

Andy

Fair enough. Just sold some parts to a speedway kid and his dad last night. Told him how I thought you junior speedway guys were getting a bit serious for a class thats supposed to be a cheap to run, fun and "tech my kid to drive" type thing, don't think he appreciated it too much! :fuzz:

Speaking of the nationals in Tas, I heard you guys were told to bring a spare set of struts with you as 'Fitted struts will be confiscated on arrival to check for illegal modifications, so you must bring a spare set'. Any truth to this?

Might be work you trying some KYB Excel G shocks. They're non adjustable nitrogen filled shock which aren't too bad and you can get off the shelf 30/55 ones. :)