Paint

Members dont see this ad

And also what type of paint - enamel, acrylic, 2pack. Which then goes into which brand of paint - Supercheap stuff, Concept, Sikkens.

As something the Sikkens brand is about the best. It also shows in its price - about $105 for one litre of a basic colour (working up to and over $200 for the more fancy stuff) and then you've also have to buy the hardener for it, something like $35 (i think) for a litre and thinner around the $20 for a litre.

But yeah, it comes down to what needs to be done - prep wise, if your allowed to do the prep work yourself, the type of paint - enamel being the cheapest and easiest to lay but acrylic being the harder wearing. 2 pack is the dearest, the hardest to lay but its also the hardest wearing.

My opinion would be to ask the panel shop if you can do the prep work (or at least as much as you can), go acrylic (it'll cost a little more but you won't look back). But the downside is if the car is already painted enamel, i'd stick with enamel (harder to prep for laying acrylic onto enamel then what it is the other way around).

Ask a few panel shops, show them the car. Good ones will want to talk to you about the car, what you want and work out a rough estimate on material and labour. Bad ones will just grunt, groan, moan and give you a price.

But yeah rough guide would be around $500 - $5000.

How straight is the car ?

How much rust ?

If you are paying someone you really need to go get a qoute or two to see what you are up for. Without knowing the extent of prepwork needed you can't really get a firm idea. Without seeing the car stripped back you don't know how much hidden rust or dodgy repairs are really there, and how much time and effort will be required to fix it.

well i do custom paint for cars bikes and whatever else people bring in only use hok paints and pwp additives and don't realy do normal jobs mainly candys and pearls as there what I'm into lol . but for me to spray a car with u doin all prep work will cost u 4500 for a straight candy but if u want pearls will be 400 for the first one and 250 of every one after that ..

well i do custom paint for cars bikes and whatever else people bring in only use hok paints and pwp additives and don't realy do normal jobs mainly candys and pearls as there what I'm into lol . but for me to spray a car with u doin all prep work will cost u 4500 for a straight candy but if u want pearls will be 400 for the first one and 250 of every one after that ..

That seems to me to be the extreme end of the scale. You must do an amazing job!

My first rolla was repaired and painted for the cost of paint only, but I was told that I would of been looking at over 3000 of 1990's dollars. This did include multi coloured pearls thaugh. So $4500 is not that bad for a full custom colour and candies are a prick to get right.

Second rolla was painted for the cost of a slab in a custom coloured 2pak with gold pearl. Gotta love family.

That seems to me to be the extreme end of the scale. You must do an amazing job!

Pretty well much he said it himself

hok - House Of Color

and the candies and pearls. The pearl is one thing cause its basically the paint itself the makes the pearl, whereas the candy needs a primer coat (like normal), a base coat (from memory its a gold colour), a translucent colour and then a top clear coat (some paints can get away without).

And from memory the base and colour layers of the candies has to be done in one go each and the base is treated very much the same as a colour coat. That is, laid down and then cut back with really fine sandpaper. If you phuck up on this layer it'll show through to the colour coat and the clear coat

Pretty well much he said it himself

hok - House Of Color

and the candies and pearls. The pearl is one thing cause its basically the paint itself the makes the pearl, whereas the candy needs a primer coat (like normal), a base coat (from memory its a gold colour), a translucent colour and then a top clear coat (some paints can get away without).

And from memory the base and colour layers of the candies has to be done in one go each and the base is treated very much the same as a colour coat. That is, laid down and then cut back with really fine sandpaper. If you phuck up on this layer it'll show through to the colour coat and the clear coat

It depends on how the pearl is done. Sometimes it is mixed in with the with the paint to give a metallic type effect but it can also be included in the clear coat (I think) to give a more obvious effect.

My first Rolla was done like this and it actually changed colour depending in the light source. It had a few different coloured pearls in it and it would change from redskin pink through red (its actual colour) to a russet (reddy brown) coulour under street lights.

I have seen some pretty shitty candy paint jobs over the years. Any uneven coverage stands out like dogs bollocks.

bin painting for about 4 years ... and u get what u pay for get a cheap paint job they use cheap paint and its gonna look like shit pay what its worth and ul get ur moneys worth ... I'm about mid range price as i have a pretty good supplier and get it reasonably priced so i don't charge threw the roof .. mates doin the same as me same gear same paints any candy will cost u 10k start off